ARB Tire Carrier Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ARB Tire Carrier Install

There seems to be a lack of information out there on this carrier so I thought I would add some pictures and info, hopefully this will help someone else out.
First off, I should mention I am running the gen 1 version of the rear ARB bumper, some modifications were required to make this work that would not be necessary if you are using the newer style. I wanted to go with this carrier for a couple reasons, The quality of ARB is very good, I am running alot of ARB hardware already so I wanted to stick with the same theme. The biggest selling point was not having to open the carrier to get in the back of the jeep, it opens as one unit.

A big thank you goes to James Pierce and Justin Tucker for helping with the install!

Hardware kit-

Carrier Arm:

Mounting plate:

Problem #1
with the arm resting in the closed position, it does not line up with the bumper. The arm needs to be moved out and in order to work correctly.

Solution:
We cut, bent, and welded the arm in order to clear the body of the jeep and to mount it in the best possible location.

Mocked up:
Here it is mocked up, by making the modifications we shortened the arm which makes the tire set slightly to the right side of the jeep. It actually worked out better that way, there is more room to reach the tailgate handle. This also required a longer turnbuckle that attaches the swing arm to the tail gate.

Bumper reinforcement: Since the carrier was not designed to support the weight of the tire we had to come up with a way to reinforce it..

I molded a piece of metal strap that would line up with the additional plate I bolted under the carrier spindle and the support bar of the bumper

I didnt get a pic when I had the bumper off, but I snapped this the next day. It shows the bracket and support arm welded together. This made a HUGE difference, this thing is really stout now!!

End result:
Im not completely done, still need to make a mount for my license plate, hide the wiring, and make some brackets for accessories. Then send it off for powder coating.

Last edited by stroken04; 03-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Rock God

sucks you bought a nice bumper then had to modify it to make it work.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I agree, however I personally like the looks of the 1st gen bumper over the new one. Im glad I went this route instead of replacing the bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode