Rubicon Gears Where to buy - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rubicon Gears Where to buy

So I have a 2007 unlimited rubicon and just upgrated to recentered H1 rims and 37 in tires. I now need to get some gears. I am wondering who has best prices, and best quality? I know that best price doesn't always mean best quality, and will be looking for somewhere in the middle.

I have an auto, but it is my daily driver, with occational wheeling, so I have been trying to decide between 4.88 and 5.13 and 5.38.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I would go with 5.13s and Yukon gears.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I have a 07 JkU X - w 35'd. Just went with Yukon 5:13'd from stock 4:10's.

Day and night, and will be even better when I go with the 37's

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'd go 5.13s too.

I can offer you front and rear G2 or Yukon at $550 delivered with master install kits. Either way you go the install kits include Timken Bearings which most prefer.

Happy to help if I can.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.cross View Post
So I have a 2007 unlimited rubicon and just upgrated to recentered H1 rims and 37 in tires. I now need to get some gears. I am wondering who has best prices, and best quality? I know that best price doesn't always mean best quality, and will be looking for somewhere in the middle.

I have an auto, but it is my daily driver, with occational wheeling, so I have been trying to decide between 4.88 and 5.13 and 5.38.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Here are some charts, don't where they originally originated from, but, make sure you match your engine & tranny to the proper chart..

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...=1#post1463363
post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Rock God

i purchased a 5.13 kit from northridge. they send pretty much whatever is in stock because the stuff they have in stock is all made by the same supplier then just rebranded to whatever company makes the box.

i got yukon gears and motive install kits. my installer said for future reference try and get yukon install kits as his experience says that the yukon kits are more complete (has more parts) than the motive. i honestly dont know what more it has, but thats just what my guy told me.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Wheeler

Yukons and Marcus at river city. Done deal
post #8 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with 5.38 Yukon gears ordered and installed by rwk haus supply. I had 5.13's in my first jk and like the 5.38's better.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #9 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That seems like a good deal for the gears and install kit, is this something I can do at home? I have decent mechanical skills, just have never done a set of gears.

do I really need a housing spreader?

I have no problem getting the other necessary tools and don't mind tackling a project like this, but don't want to ruin a good set of gears
post #10 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

After doing my first der of gears recently. This is something that someone can do to save a ton of cash. However make sure you have someone there helping you that knows what they are doing and have done gears before.

It's not hard. It's time consuming, and fairly tedious ... And can be very nerve wracking to hope that they are set up right.

Not something I would have even attempting without the presence of a master tech mechanic and another guy who had done a ton of gear sets directing me.

But it can be done

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #11 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
After doing my first der of gears recently. This is something that someone can do to save a ton of cash. However make sure you have someone there helping you that knows what they are doing and have done gears before.

It's not hard. It's time consuming, and fairly tedious ... And can be very nerve wracking to hope that they are set up right.

Not something I would have even attempting without the presence of a master tech mechanic and another guy who had done a ton of gear sets directing me.

But it can be done

I agree!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
^^^ This! Tried this last summer with a pair of D44s in my truck. After fiddling with it for about three days I finally loaded up the housings and took them to a local guy I had established a decent working relationship with. He said I had the fronts close, but not ideal. But the rears were not even close, which I didn't think they were, but I had come to the point that every change seemed to make things worse. Someone with experience giving advice probably could've guided me through the rough spots, but trying it with nothing but pictures and descriptions could make you pull your hair out. YMMV.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I guess I should have a backup plan before starting. I have seen a few gear install guides, and it doesn't look impossible, but having someone who has done it and can guide you is always a plus.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

from what I have been told..the jk axles are much easier than the older dana stuff, as the shims are on the outside.

started with what was there from the factory, some quick math and both front and rear were almost perfect firtst time.

pinion install is a delicate tedious process to ensure you arent wrecking the crush sleeve.

maybe i got lucky ??

post #15 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
JKowners Vendor

We have 5.38 gears in the shop JK and they are great. Remember that the hummer setup is heavy and you need more gear to help get it rolling.

BTW, I have G2 gears in both my tow rig and my crawler. Never had an issue with them.

MetalCloak, It's Your Jeep, Only Better
Will (916)631-8071

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SLADE- View Post
Metalcloak claims to have the highest clearance flat fenders and their Duroflex joints appear to bridge the gap between stock clevite bushings and re-buildable joints making them a great option for daily drivers. Metalcloak's dual rate coils actually backup the available travel in their suspension instead of just making claims of "flex" and "max travel" only to provide short coils with little travel like some have done.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked willys View Post
We have 5.38 gears in the shop JK and they are great. Remember that the hummer setup is heavy and you need more gear to help get it rolling.

BTW, I have G2 gears in both my tow rig and my crawler. Never had an issue with them.
X2 on the 5.38's. I run 37" on my 08 2 door with an auto. At 70mph I'm turning aprox 2100 rpm. Tranny almost never downshifts on small hills now

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode