How would YOU prep for Moab . . . if you had MY Jeep? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
How would YOU prep for Moab . . . if you had MY Jeep?

Hey folks, this is not just another typical "what should I do first?" thread, but I do respect the wisdom of experience. So . . .

I'm tentatively planning to make my first-time trek to Moab for the Jeep Jamboree USA in October. I have broken down the work that I think needs done to my JKU before I go, into 8 stages which I'll be working on over the months between now and October. I would appreciate your help in prioritizing those stages from most important to least important SPECIFICALLY FOR MOAB. So obviously, I'm looking for input from those who have been there. I'm not really interested in what your priorities are for Rausch Creek, or Baja, or whatever else -- just Moab. So here are the categories:

Exterior Armor: Front & Rear Bumpers

Exterior Armor: Rocker Protection

Exterior Armor: Flat Fenders & Quarter Panel Armor

Occupant Protection: Cage

Suspension Flex Improvement: Replace Factory Control Arms with more flexible alternative

Self Recovery: Winch, etc.

Undercarriage Protection: Skids, Diff Covers, Trusses

Bead Retention: Beadlock wheels

The rig is already on an AEV 4.5" DualSport SC suspension and 37" MTR/Ks, so lift and tires are where they'll probably be staying. You can see pics in my build thread (link in sig below). Oh, and my offroad experience goes back 30 years but back then it was mostly logging roads in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. In the last 8 years, I've been running Sierra trails in the easy to moderate range, mostly in the Shaver Lake/Dinkey Creek area, but in another vehicle not set up as well as my JKU is right now. So I'm not a complete noob; I do have some experience, but never at the level we're talking about here. Starting from that base, then, what would you do as a sequencing of steps toward readiness to take on the slick rock? Thanks for the input and for the best JK site on the web!

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 03-09-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

You look ready to me! Just bring all your tools and a floor jack is nice to have. Also you can use power at the autozone!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

It depends on what trails you plan to run. You can run trails like Hell's Revenge with a stock Jeep without getting any body damage. However if you step it up to say Pritchett Canyon or some of the Area BFE trails, then you're going to need a fairly well set up Jeep.

To run the average trail in Moab, you don't need to do anything to your Jeep. However rocker protection, roll cage and a winch wouldn't hurt. Oh you didn't say if you had lockers or not. Those would be nice, but not mandatory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

i've done hells revenge, fins, and some harder ones in my stock jkur, you'll be fine. i'd pick up sliders and a rear diff cover, other than that you don't "need" any of that other crap unless your moving to the harder trails that you woulnd't want to run alone anyway.

a winch in moab is pretty much pointless if you are alone, there aren't many winch points at all.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks guys, good info. Sounds like maybe I can save a few grand on stuff then (not that I wouldn't like to be set up that way anyway).

@Lance, I've got a Rubicon, so yeah I've got e-lockers front and rear, as well as the sway bar disconnect. Guess I didn't think to mention the lockers because in my mind it was already a done deal.

@lkjk, not gonna be alone. Plan is to be there for the Jamboree so there should be plenty of other folks around.

As for which trails, since I've never been there before, that's kind of hard to say. From what I've read on Red Rock 4 Wheelers, I'm probably not gonna attempt Pritchett Canyon. Sounds like carnage is nearly inevitable and I'm not really ready to go that route with a year-old rig I'm still making payments on, and may have to drive a thousand miles home. I guess that's a pretty good question to add to this discussion . . .

What trails would you guys recommend as a "you don't want to miss" for a first timer? Thanks again!

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #6 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Wheeler

Definitely hit Fins n Things! Great trail to break in your skills and strech out your jeep! If the Jamboree is anything like Easter Jeep Safari you should go watch the stupid people at Potato Salad! Good trail is Golden Spike and Poison Spider! Actually they are all great and i recomend them all! I'm jealous!
post #7 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well, don't be too jealous. Things are just in the planning stages right now and my wife is still taking radiation treatments for colon cancer, so everything is subject to change at any time. But if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Thanks for the recommendations.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 31 Old 03-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Re: How would YOU prep for Moab . . . if you had MY Jeep?

I would suggest just adding the cage, because you should add one anyways.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #9 of 31 Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^ +1

The advice you have received is good.

I've been to Moab twice, once with a buddy & once for the RR4W Labor Day camp out / group run. If you stay off Pritchett, stay off Potato Salad & stay out of Mickey's Hot Tub the corners & bumpers can wait. I'd bob the factory front bumper to give your tire more access to climb a little ledge if needed. Or, you can convince your wife it's a requirement.

I would definitely get the cage. I hope to never use mine. Similarly, I have sliders more for 'just in case' than for 'needed', but they're almost a necessity on a 4-door.

Not listed but darned near required is a CB, tow strap, and source of air (power tank or OBA) Recommended is a 1st aid kit & fire extinguisher. And of course, a small cooler for lunch. And tie everything down.

Prayers for your wife.

Jeep2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
post #10 of 31 Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

I would say it all depends on "how much" fun you're looking to have and on what trails.

You'd be surprised what trails you can run in a stock rig. Rocker protection is a must, skids help protect the vital stuff underneath. A cage is nice if you plan on getting crazy.

You didn't specify if you were driving or trailering out there. If you're driving, just remember this...

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 03-10-2013 at 09:15 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
I would suggest just adding the cage, because you should add one anyways.
Agreed. Although like Jeep2.0, I certainly hope it never becomes "necessary."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep2.0 View Post
Not listed but darned near required is a CB, tow strap, and source of air (power tank or OBA) Recommended is a 1st aid kit & fire extinguisher. And of course, a small cooler for lunch. And tie everything down.

Prayers for your wife.
Most of that stuff is required on organized trail rides, at least by the CA clubs, so I was just thinking about the machine itself. Have the CB, Powertank (assuming it passes recertification), and fire extinguisher (also needing serviced), but need to get or replace the other stuff on that list. Thanks for the prayers. I'll pass it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
You didn't specify if you were driving or trailering out there. If you're driving, just remember this...

Love the sticker! That's kind of the way I like to approach my offloading. It's hard (and expensive!) enough to buy and build these rigs the first time. Don't really relish doing it over and over again. At this point I can't see me trailering. May flat tow behind an RV though. Otherwise it'll be a drive out. So yeah, I'll probably be staying outta the tubs.

Thanks for all the replies. Helps me figure things out and see that maybe I'm not as far away from ready as I thought.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #12 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You can easily do 95% of the trails in Moab with lockers and 35s, including Pritchet by bypassing a couple of lines. Area BFE has the more challenging trails and the only real rock-crawling in the area. You will have a great time in Moab with your build and be able to easily run almost all of the trails. There are few places on this earth as scenic as Moab.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

I think you should def get bead locks. With 37s, you are almost certainly going to want to take some of the more challenging trails where traction is going to be key. Being able to air down to 10 psi or lower without worrying about popping a bead is going to be very comforting.

Just for reference, my first time out in Moab, I ran Moab rim, Prichett and Green Day at BFE. My JK has 37s, beadlocks, no additional armor other than what comes on a rubicon and the stock cage. The front axle is sleeved and gusseted.
post #14 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Do whatever you have to so that you can go. My most favorite place on earth.
But...once you go, you will be sad to leave and will think about returning each and every day. You got the right advice from all of the above already.
Good luck.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Save your money till you get back...take tools, a notebook and have fun. Fix what you break, take notes on good ideas you come up with, then open up the checkbook when you get back.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R View Post
. . . open up the checkbook when you get back.
^ I'll be opening up the checkbook a lot it looks like -- before, after, and during!

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm feeling a lot better about the trip. Pretty sure I will go ahead with the cage beforehand. It would be kinda silly not to -- kinda like waiting 'til she's already pregnant to use a condom. Not too sure what else I'll do, but probably the axle reinforcement as well if nothing else.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #17 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

As mentioned before, you're quite capable of a LOT of Moab trails with your current setup. You may want a locker for some trails but you should be good on anything rated a 4-5 by RR4W with your current setup. Armor isn't a bad thing in case a tire slips off a rock but isn't required.

Moab's a great place. I'm sure living nearish I take it for granted quite a bit but I can't imagine your area not having some "extreme" trails around. Moab has A LOT of cool trails and I've mostly just run the Area BFE trails, Pritchett and similar. This is my fourth year as a RR4W volunteer and I've had a pretty good time on some of the milder trails. (I've never run Long Canyon before, but plan to do so this year) Your 37" tires should get you a lot of places, but I think you'll want to be reasonable with the throttle (not sure how JK axles joints hold up to spinning 37" tires---likely not good) and just have a good time.

EJS is a fun event but it's not about running two-three trails per day. (....but it can be )

2012 JKU Sport
3" Tera lift, 35" Kevlars, 4.88s & ARBs

Trail toy is an' 80 CJ with MB grille--www.marbryson.com
post #18 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Rock God

everyone has already given great advice and since you have a Rubi you will be fine.

how about the trail book by Charles Wells? since you are with a group is it not a must but they are nice to have for yourself and cheap.

2007 Wrangler X - Jeep Green, 4" lift, 4.88s, locked rear, custom bumper/fender/cage, rolling on 35s w/ 15s
post #19 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Put gas in it
post #20 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM

^^^^^^
This is great advise coming from mbryson, he has a LOT of experience.

This last summer I went to Moad twice, the first trip I ran Elephant hill and Fins and things.
On the second trip we did Poision Spider, GoldenBar, Golden Spike and Kane Creek. All of these trails are doable with your current setup. I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with a 3" lift and 35's, i had zero problems.

Just go and have some fun!!!
post #21 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

@mbryson, thanks for the very helpful info from a local. We do have some great trails here, just haven't had opportunity to run any of them since I bought the Jeep a year ago. My previous 4x4 mule (not a Jeep) is currently in the garage, where it has been now for about 2 years getting some relatively major work done. Life happens and it just has taken much longer than i had intended. The Rubicon is about 2-3 hours, Fordyce is in that range as well, and Dusy-Ershim is about 3-4. So, yeah, there's some great trails practically in my back yard by comparison to Moab. But they're not Moab. Also have a friend from down in the Central Valley who wants to go to Moab so we'll be making the trip together. There's a third guy who may go as well. This will be in October, not EJS, so I've got a little time to prep.

@rballman, thanks for the info on the book. I'll definitely be picking that one up.

Thanks to all who have put in their .02. I really appreciate it, and it helps a lot. Gives me some perspective to balance the monster in my mind created by the hype and the rollover vids on you tube.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #22 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballman View Post
everyone has already given great advice and since you have a Rubi you will be fine.

how about the trail book by Charles Wells? since you are with a group is it not a must but they are nice to have for yourself and cheap.
The data card that Funtreks sells is really nice to have. If you don't have a stand alone GPS that accepts a data card, I would say its worth it to have so you can use the Funtreks data card, especially if not with a big group. It can be easy to get turned around out there and the Funtreks card will keep you on track.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Wheeler

Post up when your headed down. I love an excuse to get down there. I do plan on running hole in the rock around that time (south of Moab a ways) and supposedly my wife is going with me (never happened in the fifteen years I've been going down there)

There's a group of us planning on Rubicon this July. Not sure if ill trailer the YJ or drive the JK over. I'd LOVE to have the YJ over there but the JK just makes tons of sense

2012 JKU Sport
3" Tera lift, 35" Kevlars, 4.88s & ARBs

Trail toy is an' 80 CJ with MB grille--www.marbryson.com

Last edited by mbryson; 03-12-2013 at 11:21 PM.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryson View Post
Post up when your headed down. I love an excuse to get down there. I do plan on running hole in the rock around that time (south of Moab a ways) and supposedly my wife is going with me (never happened in the fifteen years I've been going down there)

There's a group of us planning on Rubicon this July. Not sure if ill trailer the YJ or drive the JK over. I'd LOVE to have the YJ over there but the JK just makes tons of sense
If that's not a private party in July PM me dates and maybe we could meet up. I missed out on a Rubicon trip last year because my wife was in the hospital for 3 weeks getting 1/3 of her colon removed along with a massive tumor. Would be cool to do that in July, then Moab in October.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #25 of 31 Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Wheeler

Don't forget your brain. With what you already have and some decent driving, you'll be very surprised how well and far you can go in Moab. Have fun it's an incredible place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode