Coilover air bags - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Coilover air bags

So this is 1 of 4 of my airbag coilovers. Will be controlled by the airock system. Mounting in the rear with the rebel brackets that sit in the cargo area.
Mounting in the front i have no solid ideas for yet. The bags are the same size as the stock springs so mounting over axle and making a custom mount ill need to design.

As far as i am aware it hasn't been done on a JK, although it has on a TJ.
If it has been done, please let me know so i can have some input.

As for why, cause i can...i hope. I have my reasons, i just like to screw with shit beyond belief and get in over my head. Don't like i have an almost you could put your tongue to.

I also just want to add that without a dude like Marcus i wouldnt have got any of this gear together, very hard for Aussies to deal with some companies in the states. Big bloody ups to Marcus, i hope you come out my way some time. I should also say that Ben from Filthy motor sports was great too in getting my black kings arranged and getting the bags on them even though he needed new equipment to do it.

Last edited by MonkeyNuts; 03-09-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: needed to add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Granite Guru

Very interested in this. I have often thought it would be nice to have a single coil under an airbag. Give you some ride height adjustment depending on terrain. Should ride nice going down the road... Where did you get the bags?
post #3 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 AM
Rock God

...interesting. looking forward to seeing more of this. i always enjoy something new and different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 08:05 AM
JKO Addict!

I rode in an airocked Tj and it was like riding on marshmallows

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Can't you use the rebel front hoop mount for the coilovers on your bag setup
post #6 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

That will be badass when you roll up next to the guys from Severed Ties in their bagged full sized trucks and air out on them. You should get some 20x10 wheels but stretch 235/35ZR20 tires around them. Then purposefully bend the upper and lower c's and rear flanges to get that cambered look. Hella Crawl homie!

Interesting for sure, one thing the bags could add would be excellent side hill'ing capabilities. In for finished project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

Subscribed, in for the final build. What size tires you have planned?

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #8 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

You mean I can get BLACK Kings?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #9 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Rock God

Very interested how this turns out. Please take good documentation, and post on the forum.
Do you have a link to where you bought the air bag/coil shocks?
post #10 of 41 Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Granite Guru

Found this rubi build
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4292

2012 JKU, stock for now, but gathering parts
post #11 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yea this is going to get interesting.

I cant use the rebel front hoops because the shocks will sit too far back. These bags are 6" dia. Thats as wide as the stock spring so the only place i know they will work for sure is in the same location. Although before i start cutting it up i will use a forklift to flex it out to the max and take some read measurments.

I will need to cut out the whole spring bucket and shock tower for this. Plus relocate the washer bottle. Im going to put that in the rear next to my fire suppressant system (cant remember who make that).

I have already made room on the other side with my custom air box over my SC filter and cutting back the plastic under the brake controller. Its all sturdy and been driving with that for a year now. I can bring any bracket i build up to at leas tthe height of the stock shock tower with maybe another inch to spare.

As for that link, yes that is the kit im using as my base, i already have it (im going to have to get rid of the radflo shocks and air bags, never used). I have the york compressor already installed.

Being RHD and already installed with the RIPP SC, relocated PS fluid res. Dual battery, SPOD and a skinned goat under my hood i am pushing shit up hill for room.

The airock control system and res. will be installed in an enlarged rear tub which means splicing in longer wires for the airock sensors. I feel it will perform better being out of the heat of the engine bay anyhow.

I wont start building for another few months since im taking my kid out to the desert shortly to catch some reptiles and scorps, after that i get my plasma cutter i will get to work again.

As for bags, i got the second pair (got my first direct) through Ben at Filthy motor sports as his a King dealer, when i inquired about getting the coilovers and if he could recommend settings he was pretty interested and became a dealer for Universal Air. He fit the second set of bags to the coilovers for me since you need to pull the top cap off the shock top get these bags on. Pain in the ass.
Anyhow, link: http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Air...irovercoil.htm

Cheers.
post #12 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Garage
Coilover air bags

Brad at Over Built Customs did this a couple years ago... Was pretty trick.

I'll have to look to see if I have pics of it from Jeep Beach 2011 I think.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #13 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

sweet, id love to see how someone else has done it. Ill search around a bit myself.
That wasnt the green JK with 40s on it? I remember something about that a while ago but thought id was a different airock style bag.
post #14 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Your right mate, i found some pics on the gallery, took me ages to find though, between a pink camel toe and some hooters i noticed a jeep in the back ground.
Sent off an email, i can understand if they dont want to help but im hopeing for some input.

Last edited by MonkeyNuts; 03-10-2013 at 04:08 AM.
post #15 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Rock God

I'll have to search and see if I have any of the old build pictures. I know Brad changed his website, so it doesn't show these anymore.

BIG RED JEEP

post #16 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

they are on there, i clicked different areas that said gallery, got the chick wearing a bikini too. My wife hit me when i said that was hot and she had a look.

As a note, based on an assumption they are spintech hubs we are looking at an extra BS of 1.25? can anyone tell me what wheels they are running? again assuming if spintech they are 5x5.5. Those bags are mounted at an angle which to me means the chance of being a pre existing afttermarket coilover bracket. I am really trying to avoid the added BS but i may give in to spacers until i destroy my axle and get a currie with hubs....if i ever have money again. But then i was thinking of some ATX slabs so it would be moot point really.

Last edited by MonkeyNuts; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

So you end up with like 8" of travel?

post #18 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

More than that, the bag alone gives you 6 inches of forced travel. From what I can tell the bag is used as a tender spring in triple rate and the primary in dual rate setups. So either way depending on what coil over you have, you would be getting almost full travel? It is an interesting setup, i'd be a little worried about fitting leaks, i've been down the bagged vehicle road and leaks are just a part of it.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #19 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
More than that, the bag alone gives you 6 inches of forced travel. From what I can tell the bag is used as a tender spring in triple rate and the primary in dual rate setups. So either way depending on what coil over you have, you would be getting almost full travel? It is an interesting setup, i'd be a little worried about fitting leaks, i've been down the bagged vehicle road and leaks are just a part of it.
Ah so there's a coil on those as well?

post #20 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Ah so there's a coil on those as well?
According to the information on Filthy's site, yes, the bag is only half of the coil over setup. The picture he posted had me thinking the same thing, looked like an air strut almost, that's why I started researching a little because that made no sense.

Quote:
post #21 of 41 Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Rock God

I'm definitely subscribing to this! It's going to be badass for sure! Ever since I saw the air bag setup on a friend's Scorpion Mk II, I've been thinking about how it could be done on a JK. This coil over Airbag setup that you're fixin' to do, sounds even better. Thanks for sharing it will us all.
post #22 of 41 Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Brad got back to me and the info and pics he provided make me a hell of alot more confident i can pull this off. Not saying it will ve easy but doable on my own.

Ill keep you all posted as i go.
post #23 of 41 Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Coilover air bags

Didnt readr the whole thread so i dont know if its been mentioned. But i would do radius arms if youre going to do air suspension. That way your pinion angle will always point the right direction no matter how high or low you go

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #24 of 41 Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Might be a good reason to go with a set up like the Rubicon express long arm kit
post #25 of 41 Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Iv been considering the Clayton front long arms for a while but the last time i contacted them a good 6 months ago they where not positive you could run with a 2.5" lift without any problems as no one they knew of was doing that.

Since my plan is to run at 2.5" on road hight (the idea but we will see if possible) then until i know for certain ill hold off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode