flush mounted rear taillights LED - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

flush mounted rear taillights LED

So ripped the rear lights and license plate off the jeep along with 3 of 4 fenders for the Last time...(been 4 times now lol)
So I slapped xenon flat fenders on while I fab some new front fenders up which I'll post when done, sleek and solid with 1.25 120 wall tubes ready to do battle.

Anyhow I am more than SICK of ripping off stuff It gets old....lol:doh:

Anyhow 12 gauge so its solid and I can weld some corner plates to the side plates later of I decide and solid enough that they won't bend.
Making a plate tomorrow that will fasten on to cover the recessed area from lic. Plate and I'll fab up a quick mount and holder for the light to get it in zip tied from the spare tire...

Love the jeep HATE the stuff hanging off the body its like my keep grew warts....just need to get it some small mods to keep it ready for the rocks and crevasses...

I'll post finished pics up in a day or so.

Top light is 4" with 21 diodes the lower will be a back up 2.5" clear from poison spyder.

Let's face it even my sons rc jeep is missing a tail light lol

This is another time it happened

This was the first repair at TDS

This is the 2nd repair at TDS this is how it sat till tonight

Driver side is done just need to grab the 2.5 clear led from PS for reverse lights.

Last edited by bullcrew; 03-08-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Clean install, great job!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They came out awesome Travis, I may be coping that idea in the near future.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
They came out awesome Travis, I may be coping that idea in the near future.
Thanks edgar I have 2 extra plates here your welcome to as well as ,measurements and hole saws so we can rip them out...
post #5 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullcrew View Post
Thanks edgar I have 2 extra plates here your welcome to as well as ,measurements and hole saws so we can rip them out...
How much did the LED's cost?

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #6 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
How much did the LED's cost?
$45 for the 2 red with rubber inerts and wiring I went to orw because they had 21 diode lights versus the 4, 6 and 10 everyone else had.
The clear backups from poison spyder are $28 each I've got the wires and grommets all ran.

I'll grab em this week along with my hood louver and my rock hard cage shipped it'll be here Tue/wed
post #7 of 63 Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
$45 for the 2 red with rubber inerts and wiring I went to orw because they had 21 diode lights versus the 4, 6 and 10 everyone else had.
The clear backups from poison spyder are $28 each I've got the wires and grommets all ran.

I'll grab em this week along with my hood louver and my rock hard cage shipped it'll be here Tue/wed
Nice I definitely may take you up on your offer.

See Garage for Mods
post #8 of 63 Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Looks great!

Greg
post #9 of 63 Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks and yeah I'm getting it ready for devils canyon if a spot opens up on the 16th.

SO TIRED of the things getting ripped off on the rocks and walls man that's tiring...

Been wanting to remove them for a while just got motivated by all the gorilla tape holding it together and the Pieces missing...
post #10 of 63 Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Nice work, very clean looking. But I wonder if you're not fighting a losing battle in the end. I mean you did the side armor, rub rail and now tail lights, at what point do you throw in the towel and just do full corner-side armor?

I've been looking around and as much as I hate to pay $600+ for a couple pieces of cnc cut and bent pieces of 10 gauge, that compound radius on the rear corners would be a bitch to bend. But like you I've knocked off just about everything that sticks out of the Jeep except the antenna, and have dented up the rear corners a bit as well.

Just thinking out loud here.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #11 of 63 Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Nice work, very clean looking. But I wonder if you're not fighting a losing battle in the end. I mean you did the side armor, rub rail and now tail lights, at what point do you throw in the towel and just do full corner-side armor?

I've been looking around and as much as I hate to pay $600+ for a couple pieces of cnc cut and bent pieces of 10 gauge, that compound radius on the rear corners would be a bitch to bend. But like you I've knocked off just about everything that sticks out of the Jeep except the antenna, and have dented up the rear corners a bit as well.

Just thinking out loud here.
My main concern is durability, cost and effectiveness the rocks don't care if they take out a pricey corner or cheap corner. Btw I have already hung up on the rails on the side which would have taken out the upper body.
Having a tube on the side out here is a lot better than plate alone.

The poison spyder looks great no doubt better than any of the other stuff fit wise and coverage.
I can put a small rail or piece between the 2 and my cost was a lot less....

There's a big difference between $600 and $50, I figure I run these and later if I want to shell out the additional I'll have the lights already but till then this was a quick, cheap and effective fix.

Plus the light plates are simple they cost me $3.50 and I had hole saws, the hardware was $12 so for $15.50 my mounts were made then lights are up to the individual and can be from $12 each up to $200 for the genright ones..

Just the removal of the lights alone was worth it, the plates were because I damaged the tub driver side.

Last edited by bullcrew; 03-09-2013 at 09:19 AM.
post #12 of 63 Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Granite Guru

That looks nice. How did you figure out the curve of the plate and what did you use to shape it? I assume you eyeballed and hammered but I thought I'd ask in case you have found an easier / better way.

I'm tired of ripping off all that plastic shit every time I go out, and feel stupid (poorer) replacing it over and over. Metalcloak has an expensive version of this, and it is cool but the lights seem to be chronically back ordered not to mention 10x the price. Guess I'm calling them and canceling my order because this looks good, and the lights are cheap and easy to come by.
post #13 of 63 Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Rock God

Came out really clean, bud. First carnage pics I saw awhile back, made me cringe a little. Came out great.
post #14 of 63 Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Do these plug into your factory harness? They look incredible.
Make em stupid-simple to install and I'll buy a set.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #15 of 63 Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i'll also buy a set

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #16 of 63 Old 04-02-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the reverse lights in now and damn bright.....
Wheeled this last weekend and pushed in the front right corner a little, shaved my metal mirror mount on the tube door and laid my rear tubed quarter into a rock crevass....
(The common skid smacks, ground on diff cover, dented the rear bumper upwards pretty heavily but these are everytime occurrences lol)

Actually been out 3 times and 2 of them would have ripped it off so far)
NO ripped off light what a feeling lol....rock slipped back there but there was nothing for it to break off, imagine the diss appointment for the rock....

Look at that, no light sticking out back....

Last edited by bullcrew; 04-02-2013 at 01:08 AM.
post #17 of 63 Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
i'll also buy a set
me too
post #18 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

Were you able to defeat the fast blinking with the LEDs? I have switched mine to LEDs and know there is a mathematical equation with the resistance but that is a bit over my head.
post #19 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollydodger View Post
That looks nice. How did you figure out the curve of the plate and what did you use to shape it? I assume you eyeballed and hammered but I thought I'd ask in case you have found an easier / better way.
X2

😂 Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 😂
post #20 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
me too
I'm in for a pair as well!

Cheap, Fast, Reliable.......you can only pick two.
post #21 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey Travis if you don't have anything going on this weekend lets install that extra set on my rig before you start charging premium for these

See Garage for Mods
post #22 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Got the reverse lights in now and damn bright.....
Wheeled this last weekend and pushed in the front right corner a little, shaved my metal mirror mount on the tube door and laid my rear tubed quarter into a rock crevass....
(The common skid smacks, ground on diff cover, dented the rear bumper upwards pretty heavily but these are everytime occurrences lol)

Actually been out 3 times and 2 of them would have ripped it off so far)
NO ripped off light what a feeling lol....rock slipped back there but there was nothing for it to break off, imagine the diss appointment for the rock....

Look at that, no light sticking out back....

Gold Mtn?
post #23 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Wheeler

Starting building mine today. I'm also curious how you bent them. I'm probably going to take my 3lb sledge to form them. All I need to get are the hole saws...those are more expensive then the damn lights I found.

Nice looking setup and hope you don't mind me copying!
post #24 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Texasmike74-
Seems ridiculous but the resistor needed and I've been through this looking and calling is a 50 watt 6 ohm which is a good size resistor...

Mister ed-
I bent them between the rear door and bumper there's a small slit that foes in a few inches so o did a small bend then out a little bend a little flip plate and do it the same way...
I have bent ALOT of stuff this way its a poor mans metal brake lol....
When I don't have access to a brake this is what I look for, things to get straight pressure bends...

Highwayman-
Nope not gold mountain its Winchester (911d) line off the rock wall at coral canyon...

Right after this

Edgar I should be around this weekend I'm looking at a buggy on Sunday and taking the kids to the science center in Los Angeles...
Saturday I'm picking my kid up at the airport and supposed to go run coral canyon with SD 4wheelers and some tds guys...

So I might be booked this weekend....I'll call you...

Last edited by bullcrew; 04-03-2013 at 07:31 PM.
post #25 of 63 Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

Might just have to do this the next time I get bored and need a Jeep project to make me happy.

Ever since I did my first set of round tail lights on my first TJ I've never been satisfied with the factory Jeep/Trailer lights.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode