HESCO Super Charger - First Impressions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-30-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
HESCO Super Charger - First Impressions

Well today I got some time in on the HESCO super charger. I didn't really get going until about noon my time as I had some work issues come up. I made some good progress on the installation until about 1:30 when the work calls started coming in. Progress slowed while I worked on re-routing 8 relays I had already previously installed but lived in the space the FMU (Fuel Management Unit) wanted plus it didn't help that the mercury was climbing to over 100* and I was in the driveway, full sun. All work stopped about 3pm and resumed at 5pm when the angle of the sun and the position of the house afforded me a little respite from the heat.

I still have to modify the AirRaid intake as no provisions for modified intakes are in place in this kit. But I managed to come up with a little something to do a test drive.

Oh and just so you know I'm no mechanic nor do I play one on TV.

But the test drive.

I noticed just cruising down the street with a slight uphill that there was a little more already. This was at the just over 2k rpm the SC begins to kick in. Now bear in mind I'm running 37" tires with stock 4:10 gearing with an automatic Unlimited I have a FlowMaster exhaust as well. The engine didn't sound like it was drowning and sounded more smooth. This is at 25mph with a slight uphill. Already I liked it.

Traveling down the 35mph road to the straight-a-way I really was going to test it out, again the engine didn't sound like it was drowning (blub-blub-blub) but more like it was humming. I climbed another hill and didn't gas it or anything and the JK did not down shift like normal but just kept plugging up the hill. All this so far is in the sub 3k rpm range and already I can tell something is different.

Finally I get to the flats in the alfalfa fields. This is a nice two lane road with 5 miles of visibility and little to no traffic after everyone gets home. So guess what I did. You bet I did. I punched it.

WOW!

The tach climbed much faster than normal and the max rpm tranny shifts were very smooth. Not like before where it would take forever to reach shift points. I got up to 65 mph in no time and yes I felt a slight g-force set you back in the seat feeling. It felt good.

I cruised at 65 (normal highway speed for me) and the JK didn't bog down at all once it shifted into over drive. Even when the rpm's dropped to 1600.

Ok now for the return trip. I waited until I saw no traffic and from about 15mph I punched it. The JK jumped to life and made it's way through the gears in no time. I was at 80mph when I decided to let off the gas. After all this is a Jeep not a sports car. Plus 37" tires are not designed for fast highway speeds.

Over all I am really impressed and once the computer gets in tune with the new addition I'm sure I'll like it even more. I need to take another long road trip to really test it out but I doubt it will disappoint me.

Again this is with a heavy JK (5600 lbs at trail weight) running 37's with stock gears and an auto transmission. I would think that a 2 door with smaller tires and steeper gears and a manual should possibly get some good smoke out of this kit.

So far I rank this kit as #2 in my list of best modifications to my JK. Number one is still the lift kit and the handling on and off road I got with that.

I'll keep posting some updates as I use this kit and the JK more to give some real life experiences.

So far 5 out of 5 on my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to Denis Send a message via Yahoo to Denis

let's see some pictures
post #3 of 20 Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Granite Guru

If I wasn't jealous before I am definitely now . When do you plan on regearing? I am sure with some 5.13s it will really pop off the line. I'll have to come by and check it out sometime. How was the install? Any issues you ran into other than the airraid not fitting quite right? Some pics to drool over would be pretty nice...!

-Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Well today I got some time in on the HESCO super charger. I didn't really get going until about noon my time as I had some work issues come up. I made some good progress on the installation until about 1:30 when the work calls started coming in. Progress slowed while I worked on re-routing 8 relays I had already previously installed but lived in the space the FMU (Fuel Management Unit) wanted plus it didn't help that the mercury was climbing to over 100* and I was in the driveway, full sun. All work stopped about 3pm and resumed at 5pm when the angle of the sun and the position of the house afforded me a little respite from the heat.

I still have to modify the AirRaid intake as no provisions for modified intakes are in place in this kit. But I managed to come up with a little something to do a test drive.

Oh and just so you know I'm no mechanic nor do I play one on TV.

But the test drive.

I noticed just cruising down the street with a slight uphill that there was a little more already. This was at the just over 2k rpm the SC begins to kick in. Now bear in mind I'm running 37" tires with stock 4:10 gearing with an automatic Unlimited I have a FlowMaster exhaust as well. The engine didn't sound like it was drowning and sounded more smooth. This is at 25mph with a slight uphill. Already I liked it.

Traveling down the 35mph road to the straight-a-way I really was going to test it out, again the engine didn't sound like it was drowning (blub-blub-blub) but more like it was humming. I climbed another hill and didn't gas it or anything and the JK did not down shift like normal but just kept plugging up the hill. All this so far is in the sub 3k rpm range and already I can tell something is different.

Finally I get to the flats in the alfalfa fields. This is a nice two lane road with 5 miles of visibility and little to no traffic after everyone gets home. So guess what I did. You bet I did. I punched it.

WOW!

The tach climbed much faster than normal and the max rpm tranny shifts were very smooth. Not like before where it would take forever to reach shift points. I got up to 65 mph in no time and yes I felt a slight g-force set you back in the seat feeling. It felt good.

I cruised at 65 (normal highway speed for me) and the JK didn't bog down at all once it shifted into over drive. Even when the rpm's dropped to 1600.

Ok now for the return trip. I waited until I saw no traffic and from about 15mph I punched it. The JK jumped to life and made it's way through the gears in no time. I was at 80mph when I decided to let off the gas. After all this is a Jeep not a sports car. Plus 37" tires are not designed for fast highway speeds.

Over all I am really impressed and once the computer gets in tune with the new addition I'm sure I'll like it even more. I need to take another long road trip to really test it out but I doubt it will disappoint me.

Again this is with a heavy JK (5600 lbs at trail weight) running 37's with stock gears and an auto transmission. I would think that a 2 door with smaller tires and steeper gears and a manual should possibly get some good smoke out of this kit.

So far I rank this kit as #2 in my list of best modifications to my JK. Number one is still the lift kit and the handling on and off road I got with that.

I'll keep posting some updates as I use this kit and the JK more to give some real life experiences.

So far 5 out of 5 on my list.

WTF, NO PICS?
You suck

We just did gears in a Rubicon last week, they setup nice! Now i just need to do mine!!
post #5 of 20 Old 07-31-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Sheesh!

Some pictures....

Here is everything laid out in the back of one of my pickups.

Here is some various stages of assembly.

All done!

Enjoy!
post #6 of 20 Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Granite Guru

LOOKS GOOD!

Now i need to go for a ride!
post #7 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
First tankful & update

I filled up yesterday so I could get some mileage calculations.

I am driving a 07 Rubicon Unlimited with stock 4.10 gears and an automatic plus 37" tires.

My daily drive consists of a 1/4 mile 25 mph residential stretch to a stop sign then about a 1/2 mile of 35mph surface street with a little hill in the middle then 5 miles of 45 (or more :shhh: ) straight-a-way through some alfalfa fields then 2 miles of twisty road along the hill side next to Washoe Lake State Park then a up hill acceleration to about 45 mph after a stop sign which dumps me onto the freeway off ramp at 65mph. Then it's down hill into Carson City exiting the freeway on a long off ramp then its 45 to a traffic signal then about another 1/2 mile I turn into my driveway at work.

This tankful also included a trip to Gardnerville which included stop and go traffic through Carson City and a stretch of 65mph then back into 25 mph stop and go traffic for 5 miles to one of my stores.

This tankful also included a trip to Reno to get the recall flash done. This is a 30 mile drive at 50 mph plus some supposedly 65 mph freeway which is overly congested and slow-fast-slow-fast driving and not consistent speed.

Ok so you have an idea of my drives. So I busted out my trusty calculator and went to work. With the HESCO super charger, 91 octane fuel and some playing around with the gas pedal ( I actually got a small chirp out of the 37's) I got 17.6 mpg on the last tankful.

My coolant temperature has stayed steady at 206-216 degrees with ambient temps being in the 90-100 degree mark during the heat of the day.

My intake air temperature has also remained fairly consistent at 15-25 degrees higher than ambient air temps.

It is really nice to put your foot into it and have the JK come to life. Plus I am getting some pretty good gas mileage out of the first tankful. I think once I settle down into my "normal" driving mode I should be able to eek some more mileage out of it. I am looking forward to the gear swap to 5.13 just to get some power that is lost in the currently over driven 4.10 and 37" tires.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Granite Guru

Hello Michael,
Any more updates. I just got back from two trips to Arizona from San Diego and pulling my little Adventure Trailer Chaser was to put it mildly, pretty sad. I was able to keep 55 mph on most of the hills but the RPM's were definetly up there. My JK is similiar to yours Unlimited Automatic 315/75/16 tires and 5.13 gears. So far I have a Teraflex Budget boost now that Nth is no longer. I was first on the list. So anyway I would love to here some more insight into your experiences with the Hesco. Oh and I weighted the JK and Chaser in Gila Bend, AZ and the Jeep was 5360 pounds with the Chaser at 1920 pounds. Ouch, a few mods and I am close to GVW rating. Oh and here is a quick shot of my setup. Thanks for all your information.

Justin

2006 Adventure Trailers Chaser #15
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited(Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
post #9 of 20 Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Hey Justin, well just so you know it was pictures of your JK and the adventure trailer that got my gears spinning on my trailer pursuits.

I have ordered a trailer from Rick Soto at http://www.offroadtrailerz.com/ and it is progressing along. Judging from the build materials I have seen in the first batch of images Rick has sent me. My trailer will be fairly hefty too.

However with the super charger, the 5.13 gear ratio and the cold air intake plus the UniChip and the 37's plus the ProComp speedo calibrator and my auto transmission, I'm not worried. The JK flies without a load as it sits now and I can climb some decent grades without down shifting.

I'd say it would bring your JK back to life without the investment of a Hemi swap. I did consider the Hemi swap but common sense kicked in. So no Hemi for me, well until I blow up the 3.8 which will probably be a long time from now.

I will be heading down to pick up the trailer once it is done. I'm hoping Rick can get the team on it and I'm picking it up before the holidays but worst case I'll be down there for Thanksgiving. If scheduling works out, you should come up to Ricks shop when I'm picking up the trailer and take my JK for a test drive. Bring your trailer. I'll have a 7 prong plug and a standard 2" receiver. Don't know if I'll have all the brakes wired but I'll have left/right and stop set up.

So I'll be in the San Fernando valley for the trailer pick up and if its over Thanksgiving I'll be in Santa Barbara then.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 PM

What the ****!!! Are you a drug dealer or somthin'? I would say your getting carried away... but only cause I'm jealous.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the feed back Michael.
Here are some measurements.

6 1/4" from the computer. Or in line with the 4th solid brake line in the picture.

The front mimicks the computer as well except for the black mount but I am prettty sure that will not be a problem. The Height is just under 2" for the sPOD case.

Oh and I have been drooling over your JK for some time now. Here is my JK notebook.

Justin

2006 Adventure Trailers Chaser #15
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited(Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
post #12 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 AM

Wrangler JK with Hesco Supercharger

Hi Michael,

We are finally finish installing HESCO Supercharger on Wrangler JK 2007, we are also using unichip Q to remapping the fuel and ignition, and tuned the car on our Dyno Dynamics Chassis Dynamometer.

I have some problems with check engine light.

When I tested the car on the road and reach the rev limit (around 5500RPM), the engine light, flash light and... esp light occured. I can remove those light with disconnect the + and of battery. Please let me know what is the problem? How to fix them? For a moment we cannot see the dtc with our DRBIII because we are only have older update of firmware version.

Please advise,

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ovi Sardjan.
Performance Parts Logistic,
Research/Racing Development Division
Dyno Dynamics Division and
Haltech Engine Management Systems Division
PT. KHATULISTIWA SURYANUSA (KS MOTORSPORT)
Authorized DaimlerChrysler Dealer
Authorized Jeep Workshop
JL. Pramuka Raya Kav. 69 Jakarta Pusat 10570 Indonesia
Mobile: +62-8561042740
Phone: +62-21-4248384
Fax: +62-21-4247920
General E-mail: [email protected]
Official Website: http://www.ksnusa.com
post #13 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Congrats on the sc Ovi Sardjan!

I have a ScanGaugeII reader and it reads the OBDII codes fine.

If you have an automatic chances are pretty good that you are getting a code from the crank position sensor. It is however only something you will see with the automatic transmission. This is probably related to the torque converter and the difference it creates under hard acceleration. This is actually a code being thrown my the UniChip and not the Hesco super charger. Until UniChip addresses the minute differences between a manual and an automatic transmission this will continue to be an issue. Fortunately this code P0300 does not force the computer into limp mode and merely creates an irritating ding and a dash warning lamp. Again I would contact Jon at Hesco because I had them program both my A and B side of the UniChip. The A side being more stock UniChip programming does not trigger this error however the more aggressive B side does.

The only other possibility that I know of is the error set for the Throttle Position Sensor. This error was rectified for me by the UniChip programmed by Hesco. This occurred only under hard acceleration. This however forced the JK into limp mode and would cause the JK to semi-stall out. This would require you to pull off to the side of the road shut down and restart. Even with Hesco's Fuel Management Unit the "fly by wire" of the JK makes the computer a little more temperamental as it not a direct control over the actual throttle position. Jon at Hesco has 2 fixes that seem to be working for this, one is the UniChip they programmed and the other is a small restricter plate they developed that appears to be working well for those without the UniChip.

Since you have the UniChip I would contact Jon or Bennie at Hesco and ask for their advice. Their service after the sale has been awesome.

I will add that I currently have no issues with my super charger as Jon and Bennie have literally been at my side the whole way and helped me with the inevitable bugs and tweaks. Now if only UniChip would do their thing on the CPS and automatics so I can run the more aggressive and more low end torque "B" side programming without that annoying ding.

Good Luck with your super charger, I know that Jon and Bennie will get you working perfectly!
post #14 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I should add that after re-reading your description of your problem.

You should not have your ESP light come on, at all, after the Hesco install. Try disconnecting the UniChip and see what that does. If you still have a problem at top end, re-check you FMU electrical connection and make sure you didn't nick or cut some wires.

Still, I would call Hesco as they are the guys with the info!
post #15 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

I had the P0300 code on the UniChip "B" map. It is just annoying. I couldn't quite figure out what conditions caused it because it happened when flat driving and under hard acceleration. So I went back to the "A" map.

I had a constant ESP light after a short in some wiring cause my parking sensor to die, but it went away after a few starts. (Of course, that is not SC related). I have also had the random "power on after unlock (twice)" and even a "all dash lamps flash, engine die, restart". And yes I DO have all the computer flashes and recalls done. A computer controlled vehicle is an a wonder.

On the "A" map , I never get the p0300. I do get occasionally another code (that escapes me at the moment) but IIRC it has something to do with a slow O2 sensor related to poor fuel. (happened to me three times, twice when buying cheaper gas up in Kansas, and once in Texas).

The nice thing about the ScanGuage is I can see the numbers and reset them quickly.

The most annoying issue is the TPS lamp and limp mode that happens when the transmission shifts from 2nd/3rd to OD AND lockup occurs at the same time. I have gotten real good at popping the trans into neutral, shutting off the engine, waiting three seconds and restarting. I have found that switching off the OD prior to hard acceleration (as in traffic merges and passing) minimizes the TPS/limp symptoms, but hasn't eliminated them. Another trigger is backing off the throttle quickly under hard acceleration (such as, ahem, at the stoplight drags). The TPS doesn't trigger a trouble code, but having it trip into limp mode when passing is not only annoying but can be downright scary. I had the TPS trip on I45 last week and foot flat on the floor I lost speed.

Now that MOPAR has picked up the SC for the aftermarket, I hope that the jeep folk work on some programming for the computer that will eliminate these annoyances. Overall, I have been and still am really, really pleased with my SC. I now have 15,000+ miles on mine and it has made my JK fun to drive, as well as a pleasure to tow with.

BTW Michael, have you noticed that the Throttle Position number on the ScanGuage has little to do with reality? I have been watching the numbers trying to tune my foot about 'feathering' the throttle, and the drive by wire defeats any fine tune. I watch the numbers when driving under cruise, and under moderate hills the numbers will jump from the mid 40's to 67 or so but the engine doesn't seem to change in exhaust note or RPM. You'd think a %50 throttle increase would have some sort of immediate feedback, but all I can tell is the numbers have changed. Its almost TP suggested rather that reality. Strange.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #16 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Yeah this computer stuff is truly amazing..... that everything works most of the time.

I have the tool to reset the tire size ting and pinion etc that is supposed to correct the minor differences that "confuses" the computer when these things aren't perfect. It is pretty bizarre to see the speedo be correct at cruise but off either high or low at the same speed depending upon which action you are doing, accelerating, decelerating, cruising or coasting.

So with that in mind you can imagine how much issues one would have trying to control fuel and idle speeds with that much variance.

PS, ever notice the subtle throttle surges with cruise control when you are at just the right angle of road. Yeah, that's got to be good for fuel economy and your transmission.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 PM

JK with hesco supercharger, unichip problem?

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your advise.

I didn't change anything at all on FMU, yes there was some untighten nuts on FMU pole. but It all fixed.

Can you explain me what unichip q did wrong and cause the lights occurred?
I mean not the marked "ESP" lights comes on, but only the sign of "the car run on the road" comes on. And the "flash" sign and also the "check engine" sign comes on. They're all comes on after I push WOT until rev limit..

I wish I can send you the picture of dyno result, but how can I send the pictures?

How much price for your diagnostic scanner tool? Can it scan various cars?

Please advise,

Cheers,

Ovi Sardjan.
ksnusa.com

Quote:

You should not have your ESP light come on, at all, after the Hesco install. Try disconnecting the UniChip and see what that does. If you still have a problem at top end, re-check you FMU electrical connection and make sure you didn't nick or cut some wires.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Hi Michael,

One thing I want to let you know. I have installed the hesco supercharger to Right Hand Drive JK. In here, in Indonesia (Jakarta City) using RHD vehicle.
So I have to make some ducting to prevent the air filter pipe touching the battery. but yes there is no problem with supercharger, the problem is only on problem light indicator.

Please advise,

Cheers,

Ovi Sardjan.
ksnusa.com

Quote:

post #19 of 20 Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 AM

Hi Michael,

Today I have tried to disconnect UNICHIP Q and try to run the car without it. And there is no problem at all!!

So after that, I try again to connect UNICHIP Q and monitor the map sensor voltage on the uni Q software, After did trial and error to clamp the map sensor voltage, Finally I found the clamp voltage at 4.38V.

I've heard pinging at 4500RPM up, because I have increased the ignition timing around 2 degrees. So I try to retard the ignition timing until the pinging dissapear.

If the pinging heard very loud, then the check engine comes out.

Now, for a moment; the problems fix (with Unichip Q installed). Tonight I will test the car on the highway. Wish me luck!!!

I wish I can send you a picture of dyno graph, where should I send the pictures?

I have another problem with Wrangler JK Diesel Engine. Do you have experience a problem with this car before?

Thank you very much for your kind supports.
Cheers,

Ovi Sardjan.
www.ksnusa.com
Jakarta - INDONESIA

Quote:
Congrats on the sc Ovi Sardjan!

I have a ScanGaugeII reader and it reads the OBDII codes fine.

If you have an automatic chances are pretty good that you are getting a code from the crank position sensor. It is however only something you will see with the automatic transmission. This is probably related to the torque converter and the difference it creates under hard acceleration. This is actually a code being thrown my the UniChip and not the Hesco super charger. Until UniChip addresses the minute differences between a manual and an automatic transmission this will continue to be an issue. Fortunately this code P0300 does not force the computer into limp mode and merely creates an irritating ding and a dash warning lamp. Again I would contact Jon at Hesco because I had them program both my A and B side of the UniChip. The A side being more stock UniChip programming does not trigger this error however the more aggressive B side does.

The only other possibility that I know of is the error set for the Throttle Position Sensor. This error was rectified for me by the UniChip programmed by Hesco. This occurred only under hard acceleration. This however forced the JK into limp mode and would cause the JK to semi-stall out. This would require you to pull off to the side of the road shut down and restart. Even with Hesco's Fuel Management Unit the "fly by wire" of the JK makes the computer a little more temperamental as it not a direct control over the actual throttle position. Jon at Hesco has 2 fixes that seem to be working for this, one is the UniChip they programmed and the other is a small restricter plate they developed that appears to be working well for those without the UniChip.

Since you have the UniChip I would contact Jon or Bennie at Hesco and ask for their advice. Their service after the sale has been awesome.

I will add that I currently have no issues with my super charger as Jon and Bennie have literally been at my side the whole way and helped me with the inevitable bugs and tweaks. Now if only UniChip would do their thing on the CPS and automatics so I can run the more aggressive and more low end torque "B" side programming without that annoying ding.

Good Luck with your super charger, I know that Jon and Bennie will get you working perfectly!
post #20 of 20 Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Wheeler

How has the gas mileage been now that you have some more time with the Hesco?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode