JKOwners Forum banner

Steering shimmy and tougher steering?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  HeyitsGeo 
#1 ·
Ok so last trip out I bent my tie rod up as well as the steering stabilizer. Well from all the research I did I heard that you can still get your toe in set back even if tie rod is bent just will take some adjusting. Well I tried and tried again but I can't for the life of me set it. What my problem is at the moment is I have a steering wheel wobble, it's not a major like death wobble that stops me from driving but it does concern me a bit. My initial thought is the tie rod is the culprit so I will be ordering a poly tonight , I replaced the banged up stabilizer with a Tera one. Now my steering also got pretty damn rough. As in I get in my buddy's jeep that has 37s and a 3.5 lift and his steers like a freakin Cadillac. Mine steers like I'm actually having to put force into it. My specs are jku 2.5 lift 1" body lift and 37" rocker radials mounted on 17 spyderlocks. Been trying to rid this steering shimmy for days and nothing doing for me. Anyone have any input or ideas. Could the tie rod cause all of my symptoms.? And yes I went under the vehicle every bolt and nut were snugged up and torqued down nothing loose in the front end. Now as another side note. My rear tires are wearing perfect where as my fronts are wearing pretty oddly, the tread in the middle of the tire is up and down its not smooth all the way around as it should be, another sign something steering or front end wise is bad. I only have maybe 5k miles on these tires. Idk if they are too far gone now but the tread is pretty oblong on the fronts. Like if I take my tire off and rolled it, it will wobble side to side as it rolls slowly down my sidewalk. Hopefully I can get some input or info. Drive alot on the road as it is my dd so I'm trying to get it roadworthy soon as possible. Thanks guys

See less See more
#4 ·
Ill be rotating the tires from back to front as soon as I get home to see if it effects anything , and ill search google right now for cupping and see what's going on, I don't "think" the shocks are bad but ill definately check them out when I rotate the tires

#5 ·
Alright I haven't rotated yet but I did notice a difference in road noise coming from my front tires, they sound like they are suction cupped to the ground when I'm rolling slowly like anything 20-30 and under then when I speed up instead of the tires making a straight noise like the wine of mud terrains like Wahhhhhhhhhhhh they have more of wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah noise to them at speed. I feel like a kid writing these noises lol but it's the oy way I could think to explain the road noise if them, the rear make the steady noise as they should just the fronts that sound like this .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.