Frankenexhaust flowmaster 50 mixed with stock parts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
Frankenexhaust flowmaster 50 mixed with stock parts

Well I decided to make my own exhaust instead of going with a kit so I ordered a Flowmaster 50 series. The plan was to relocate the muffler under the jeep by just cutting a piece out of the pipe like the cooltech kit.
Things didn't quite work out that way.
I ordered a center in center out and realized there isn't room for that, the pipe is too close to the frame. So a patient person would have just ordered the right part, but I have no patience.
I ended up putting it in the stock spot, but since a flowmaster is so much thinner it tucks up nice and high and is safe.
But I needed parts to get the plumbing to line up and to hang it in place.
I looked at the stock muffler and realized everything I needed was right there!
I cut the piping and the hangers off, welded the piping together to get the angle and the 90 degree bend to meet the muffler. Once I got the plumbing setup, I took a piece of 1" square steel tubing, welded the hangers to it, then welded the muffler to the tubing to hang it where it needs to be.
Only thing left to get is a 90 and a tip - it exits out the side right now and I want to turn it back out the back where it needs to go.
End result is a deep, pleasant sound with no drone and a bit louder than stock.
I R happy
I ran out of daylight but I'll grab some pics later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Rock God

Nice going. I plan on going the 50 series route also, I believe they offer a side in/out version that will *just* fit underneath next to the frame rail. I'll also have to do the evap relocate at the same time, so I need to align the planets to get this done.....

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Granite Guru

I have a two door and would like to see how it tucks up in the back.

pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

pics showing tuckage
it's pretty pretty much even with the bottom of the hitch
I just looked and FM makes a thinner unit that would gain you another 1/2"
Attached Images

Quote:
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 AM

That 50 sounds pretty nice, I've got the 44 on and it's a beautiful growl. Nice things about these is they are so much thinner that the stock location isn't as bad as with the full size muffler.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Granite Guru

Looks Good.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

minor update:
I put a 90 on the muffler to turn it out the back.
If you do a custom exhaust job, be careful trying to tuck your tailpipe up to far.
I got mine where the output is a little too close to the wonderful plastic bumper and it's melted the underside a little bit.
Nothing drastic, you can't even see it from the back but the underside of the bumper right in front of the tip is a little melty.

Just another excuse to get a 'real' rear bumper

Quote:
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

it definitely depends on where you get the pipe from. the ones at Autzone had a tighter bend and were shorter overall, but the ones at Advance had both a larger bend and were longer overall. Mine ends just a tad behind the bumper, pointing down slightly. No deformity yet, but I'm not worried either. There's a new bumper on the horizon.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Granite Guru

I did the Flowmaster Delta 50 in the stock location, too. I was considering relocating the muffler to under the drivers seat, but I did not want to possibly have extra noise in the cabin. I am very happy with the results. It really does tuck up and out of the way nicely and the performance has improved. CAI is next.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
I did the Flowmaster Delta 50 in the stock location, too. I was considering relocating the muffler to under the drivers seat, but I did not want to possibly have extra noise in the cabin. I am very happy with the results. It really does tuck up and out of the way nicely and the performance has improved. CAI is next.
I put mine under the seat, there is no noise or resonance to speak of. Glad i put it there, gave me an excuse to move the evap can.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode