Pinion Angles - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Pinion Angles

I'm far from an expert when it comes to pinion angles, but I've spent some time playing with them and this is what I've found works for me. I'd be real interested in hearing what others have set them to and why.

Lift: 4.5"
Driveshafts : JE Reel

Front
Driveshaft Angle: 10.1º
Pinion Angle: 4.5º
DS/Pinion: 5.6º

Rear
Driveshaft Angle: 11.1º
Pinion Angle: 8.8º
DS/Pinion: 2.3º

I don't have a reliable way of measuring caster, but from the best I can tell it is around 1.5º. It drives pretty good, a little light but not bad at all. I started at around 4º caster and it drove great, but there was driveline vibration. I also went down to 0º caster, but the steering was scary light and dangerous.

At the front if I increase caster (decrease pinion) the steering gets more positive, but I start to introduce driveline vibration. If I improve the driveshaft/pinion angle (increase pinion) then the steering gets too light.

With factory driveshafts I think you may get more caster without any driveline vibration. The FSM calls for >10º operating angle on the CV joints and >3º on the UJ.

At the rear, everything feels fine, although the lower spring perches are rotated back and this is introducing a curve in to the springs. If I set the pinion angle the same as the driveshaft, or close to as you don't want them exactly the same, then the spring perches are even more rotated and the curve in the springs is even more pronounced.

Some thin 10º angled spacers for the rear lower spring mounts would be ideal, and allow to set the pinion angle perfectly and have the springs straight. I know I could cut them off and rotate them, but some angled spacers would be so much easier.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Rock God

10 deg on a 4 dr with 4.5" springs and a CV drive line seems to work well. 15 deg on a 2 dr with 4" springs. I cut off and rotate the rear springs mounts on teh 2 drs, the 4 drs are not that bad but it does make the spring curve.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
post #3 of 3 Old 12-16-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT1 View Post
10 deg on a 4 dr with 4.5" springs and a CV drive line seems to work well. 15 deg on a 2 dr with 4" springs. I cut off and rotate the rear springs mounts on teh 2 drs, the 4 drs are not that bad but it does make the spring curve.
Thanks.

Yes, it's not too bad, but is still there. I can definitely see how could become bad on a 2 dr. I'm starting to think cutting and rotating the spring perches will be the easiest solution.

I don't how feasible it is, but some angled shims for the spring perches would be a nice addition to your kits and still keep it all bolt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode