My York OBA System - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

My York OBA System

I finally got my OBA all finished and thought I should share:

I scored a sweet deal on a Kilby OBA kit a while back from someone who swapped in a hemi. I really wanted this kit because to me, it seemed like the most complete. Unfortunately, we actually had to change a lot of the kit.

The main problem we had is that the Kilby kit rotates the alternator up which interferes with my Avenger Supercharger so we basically had to re-engineer the bracket to make everything work. You can see that everything is a really tight fit:

Next, I couldn’t mount the air tank where the kit mounts it because I relocated my muffler to that are under the driver’s seat. Instead I had a bracket made to mount it in the stock muffler location. When I finally get a rear bumper, there will be a skid to protect. I think I will be all right for now because as you can see its tucked up pretty well:

Instead of using the rubber hoses supplied with the kit, we decided to go with the snap in type fittings used on Semis for their brake system. The line has a 900 psi burst rating. We mounted a cupler on the distribution block and added a valve to the line running out to the tank. This way, if anything were to happen to the system, I can shut the valve and still run air off of the cupler on the block.

Lastly, there is a line that runs back from the tank to a second cupler on the driver’s side. We got the wrong size fitting and the store was closed on the weekend so that’s why you see a little more brass on there than was really needed to adapt everything:

Overall, I really like the outcome. We opened the separator and for some reason when we closed it up it didn’t seal right so I have super tiny leak. I figured we would address it later when I buy a new filter for it.

In terms of performance, it takes 1 minute 10 seconds to fill the 2.5 gallon tank from 0 to 160 PSI.

Once the tank is full, it takes 2 minutes and 30 seconds to fill my 37” MTR from 10 to 35 PSI.

By comparison, the air system at the shop does it one minute faster so I think that’s pretty damn good for an OBA.

Jack (Avenger) has an ARB twin compressor but no take so I will try to compare his system when I get a chance.

All the above performance numbers are based on normal engine idle speeds. I can bump the idle using the Diablo and significantly increase those numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Rock God

thats pretty sweet, but is your tank rated for 160 psi? i thought most that small only did 150
post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
thats pretty sweet, but is your tank rated for 160 psi? i thought most that small only did 150
So the tank and switch both came with the kit. The Kilby site says the tank is rated to 150 PSI. The fact that the system actually goes to 160 might just be because of the altitude up here. I think I am all right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
So the tank and switch both came with the kit. The Kilby site says the tank is rated to 150 PSI. The fact that the system actually goes to 160 might just be because of the altitude up here. I think I am all right...
I might ask them, I mean a pressure switch is a pressure switch; if they provided a 160 psi switch for a 150 tank, I feel like I would be worried; if its a 150 switch and its going to 160, it means you have a crappy switch
post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
I might ask them, I mean a pressure switch is a pressure switch; if they provided a 160 psi switch for a 150 tank, I feel like I would be worried; if its a 150 switch and its going to 160, it means you have a crappy switch
Altitude affects how something like a pressure guage or switch read pressure. I bet if I drove down to sea level, my guage and system was stop at 150 PSI. Its not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode