Full Width Dana 60 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Full Width Dana 60

Hello, I am considering buying a new 4 door unlimited. I wanted to see if anybody has installed Full Width Dana 60 Axles from a 1 ton Ford truck for the front and rear. I understand there are electronics working with the stock JK axles. Does anybody know a way to install Dana 60 axles other then spending $7000 from Dynatrac? Like to end up with 42" tires and no worries of breaking on the Rubicon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

You can get the rear Currie Rockjock D60 for about $3200 that bolts right in. I'm not sure how much their front is going to be. My long term plan is Currie D60's and 40" tires with minimal lift.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockJK View Post
You can get the rear Currie Rockjock D60 for about $3200 that bolts right in. I'm not sure how much their front is going to be. My long term plan is Currie D60's and 40" tires with minimal lift.
RedRockJK, thank you for this information on the rear Rockjock 60. When you find out the final cost of the front axle please post it.
Does anybody else know of a way to use Dana 60 axles that already exsist? That would be much less and i think the width of a 1 Ton Ford would be pretty close to a 4 door JK

Last edited by Holbrook; 12-08-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
RedRockJK, thank you for this information on the rear Rockjock 60. When you find out the final cost of the front axle please post it.
Does anybody else know of a way to use Dana 60 axles that already exsist? That would be much less and i think the width of a 1 Ton Ford would be pretty close to a 4 door XJ.
A 4-door XJ is no wider than a TJ.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
re.D60

The problem your going to have is the esp not working with a old D60 axle.
Dyna trac seel thier trail series axles which are thier busget axles..still not that cheap!!

I see that you are considering a purchase, How about a 2wd and then add a atlas transfercase $2500 and have the dealer disable esp and your golden if you want to use a old school D60 axle!!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 14 Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
The problem your going to have is the esp not working with a old D60 axle.
Dyna trac seel thier trail series axles which are thier busget axles..still not that cheap!!

I see that you are considering a purchase, How about a 2wd and then add a atlas transfercase $2500 and have the dealer disable esp and your golden if you want to use a old school D60 axle!!

Jason
Jason, I asked the sales guy about disabling the ESP and he said I would not have to take it to service to do that. He said I could do that myself. He showed me in the Jeeps manual that was in the glovebox how to do it. CAn you confirm if that is all I would need to do to get rid of any electronic issue so I can put the older Dana 60 axles in? Is the ESP conected to both front and rear axle?
Also, do you know if an Atlas would bolt up to the 2 WD automatic transmission or would I need an adapter? Do you know what that adapter cost?
Thanks,
Holbrook
post #7 of 14 Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ????? View Post
A 4-door XJ is no wider than a TJ.
Can somebody please confirm that a TJ axle is no wider then a 4 door XJ? The sales guy told me an XJ 4 door was 6 inches wider then a TJ.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
re:ESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
Can somebody please confirm that a TJ axle is no wider then a 4 door XJ? The sales guy told me an XJ 4 door was 6 inches wider then a TJ.

First to answer the first question, You can not disable the ESP perminatly..Only the dealer can.

XJ axles are the same as a TJ as far as width is concerned...stop listening to this lousy sales guys

**EDIT** Now, I guess you are refering to the JK..not the XJ..different Jeeps!!!

The JK is 5" wider than a TJ

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
First to answer the first question, You can not disable the ESP perminatly..Only the dealer can.

XJ axles are the same as a TJ as far as width is concerned...stop listening to this lousy sales guys

**EDIT** Now, I guess you are refering to the JK..not the XJ..different Jeeps!!!

The JK is 5" wider than a TJ

Jason

I read in a different post that you could splice one of the wires and insert a switch to turn off/on ESP. Don't know which post.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Dunno......I would be scared to splice anything on a JK!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #11 of 14 Old 12-16-2007, 04:08 PM

get it done, i would love to see a full width jk. i have gathered up all the parts for my jk buggy build and im running full width 60 and 70 with a 468bbc. i love my jk so instead of choppin it up i decided to buy the needed body parts and build a frame and go from there.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
I read in a different post that you could splice one of the wires and insert a switch to turn off/on ESP. Don't know which post.
if we are thinking the same thing, you are thinking about the locker override. i don't think there is any way to disable the esp at home. of course, if you unplug it, it is disabled.

i accept no responsibility for your safety, or that of other motorists if you try this. that being said, post up your results. i was wondering about tossing a d60 rear in myself.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 AM
JKowners Vendor

[QUOTE=jdemonto;7081I see that you are considering a purchase, How about a 2wd and then add a atlas transfercase $2500 and have the dealer disable esp and your golden if you want to use a old school D60 axle!!

Jason[/QUOTE]

X2, just get a 2 wheel drive and go from there...but install a STak instead whether your using 60's or "new" axels

Cary

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #14 of 14 Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
X2, just get a 2 wheel drive and go from there...but install a STak instead whether your using 60's or "new" axelsCary
Yep. The only thing you are going for is the body look and style. After that you will be gutting the rest.

Dynatrac is some good stuff. I bought my fully rebuilt fullwidth D60 front and D70 with ARB's and 5.13's with disk brakes for just under $5k.

It is very easy to dismantle the ESP system permanently with the snip of one wire. I showed Jim at Nth how to do it so they could "play" with their 2 door JK.

Talk to me about STAK, is it as the name implies? I miss the nearly 600:1 in my Isuzu with it's 20 forward gears and 5 reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode