Front Rubi Locker fried - is it repairable if the dealer won't warrantee? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Front Rubi Locker fried - is it repairable if the dealer won't warrantee?

I seem to have fried my front Rubi E-locker. I also broke my rear drivers side Superior CM axle shaft. That is covered under a lifetime warrantee and Superior already has the replacement in UPS. Superior says this is the first JK CM axle to break.

I'll probably pull my CM front shafts and put the stockers in and see if the Jeep dealer will warrantee the locker. If not is there any alternative to buying a new one? Is it repairable - I've heard various things? If so who can do it. I have heard that ARB is coming out with an air locker that will fit the Rubi axles but that it is 90 days out. I really don't want to buy a new factory locker. If I have to buy anew locker I'd rather buy the ARB in 90 days.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 06:43 PM

There is no reason why the shouldnt fix it. You didnt mod the locker and evens installed if you have had bigger gears installed that would not fry a locker. You should be good
post #3 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Actually, things turned out better than you could ask. We thought it was his locker when it happened, but he went in and found it was his left axle that popped right at the splines. Since he was running Alloy USA's in the front and Superiors in the rear, they were both covered with a non-Chrysler type warranty. You know, replaced no questions asked.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

So he broke a superior rear d44 axle at the splines? Kinda surprised to hear it. What was the conditions that caused it?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Did I read that right, he broke front and rear alloy shafts, bith at the same time?? Y'all musta been gettin it with the skinny petal to snap two at once??

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
Did I read that right, he broke front and rear alloy shafts, bith at the same time?? Y'all musta been gettin it with the skinny petal to snap two at once??

on 35's in a rubi.........??????? with alloys????

what kinda stupid was taking place when they broke???

were there 's involved???
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
They didn't break at exactly the same time. And no beer was involved - and no getting into the skinny pedal too hard.

I was going up High Dive in Moab and got off line a bit; the line was the only way that I could see that a JK on 35's could use to get up it. Some bump steer put me a bit to the left of where I wanted to be and my left rear tire dropped in a crevice. Apparently the crevice was just the perfect size to really sieze the rear wheel and tire. I was feeding in some throttle, was not spinning or moving and she went. I was probably at around 2500 rpm. I guess the combination of the automatics torque multiplication, 4:1 TC and 5.13 gears put a lot of torque to that axle. After it went we got on the winch and I was easing into the throttle to help the winch and the front axle went.

When I thought the front e-locker was gone I was wishing that it had been an axle since it would be covered under warrantee and I wouldn't have to fight Chrysler over it. The new ARB locker for the Rubi axles is 90 days away. If it was available now I wouldn't have minded replacing the factroy locker since I could get the beefier ARB unit. I just hated the idea of buying a new factory locker if the old was not rebuildable.

In retrospect by trying this climb I was pushing the envelop for a heavy 4 dr JK on 35's. I don't regret trying it, excpet for my wife is still pissed at me as she had bad feelings about it and is usually game to try most anything. Had I/we realized the rear wheel tire was as tightly jammed into the crivice as it must have been we could have used a HiLift and wheel lifts strap to lift it up and free it.

I had had some concerns about the strength of the pinion in the 5.13 gears but they seem to have held up well. I didn't look at the pinion on the rear but the ring looks good. In order to get the axle stub out of the front carrier I had to pull the carrier (and drill and tap the stub and fab up a puller) and hence could check out the pinion and it looks perfect (as is the ring gear). I was also happy with the fact that the e-lockers held up. I did not think that the axles would be the weak link. In the end all it cost me was an upgrade to my AAA memberhip (which I was going to do anyway) to get 100 mile tows which got me home and the time needed to swap axle shafts. New axle shafts are on the way. With the stock axles in she drives fine and both lockers lock and unlock normally.

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-07-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode