Anyone using an Ox Locker - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anyone using an Ox Locker

Trying to decide between the Ox and the ARB for the rear. Leaning toward the Ox because I'm insane and like the little aluminum shifter and the diff cover (at least I'm honest )

Can anyone talk me out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Rock God

You can't beat Ox IMO, I've run them on my TJ & CJ and never had an issue! Call them to make sure they have the cases that will fit our 7/16" ring gear bolts. The Ox cases are so hard that it's almost impossible to drill them out so they are having them made specifically for JKs. Last I talked to them, they should have them ready by April or May.

On my YJ, I had nothing but problems with my ARB... and the guys that I run with today always seem to be having issues(well, at least once a year or more). When the ARB works good, it's great, plus you gotta love the swish sound when you shut them off!!!

Plus... OX is American made!!!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.

Last edited by Prope; 04-04-2009 at 06:51 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Rock God

On a side note, River Raider made a great looking bracket for the Ox shifter... they said they'd make more if there is interest!

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks

You mean Ox isn't making them for the JK yet? They have them listed on their website (of course these days that doesn't mean anything). I'm going to give them a call on Monday and find out.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

hey Prope. Any recommendation for the cable length on a 4dr?
post #6 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Rock God

I'd vote for the OX also. ARBs are complicated because of the air lines and if the air line leaks at all the compressor runs every few seconds or all the time which will cause failure because the compressors aren't rated for continues use. Plus you have to find a place high up to mount the compressor so it stays dry...etc. In a real world condition the OX is the way to go because if the cable breaks you can crawl under the Jeep and manually lock it with zip ties or bailing wire. You'd be hard pressed to make something to apply air pressure to the nipple on your dif to lock an ARB.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

When I finally lock this beast up - it will be an OX. Im all about no air or electricity being involved. Keep it simple!

post #8 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Leaning toward the Ox because I'm insane and like the little aluminum shifter and the diff cover (at least I'm honest )
I have ARB's, but i know what you mean. Im the same kinda knuckle head. Those little shifters are cool.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #9 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
When I finally lock this beast up - it will be an OX. Im all about no air or electricity being involved. Keep it simple!
just keep the cable away from the exhaust the cable melt and no worky worky

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
hey Prope. Any recommendation for the cable length on a 4dr?
I forget what they told me... give Chip a call, he is a great guy and will help you out with whatever you need!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #11 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks

You mean Ox isn't making them for the JK yet? They have them listed on their website (of course these days that doesn't mean anything). I'm going to give them a call on Monday and find out.
They had a bunch made and sold out as quick as they had them... they are working on another batch or it might even be done by now!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #12 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
I forget what they told me... give Chip a call, he is a great guy and will help you out with whatever you need!
Who is Chip with? Ox USA?
post #13 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Rock God

yep... he's the guy you want to talk to!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #14 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
yep... he's the guy you want to talk to!
Thanks for everything! I'll be calling him tomorrow. Crossing my fingers they have the next batch ready to go, because I'm ready to lock!
post #15 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice N2lock!!!

Mechanical vs air was my question the other day... I see very little down side to the mechanical lockers (just don't melt the cable...) Keep track of everything that you need cause I am next... just don't have the jack yet.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well I talked to Chip yesterday. He had no idea what length cable to use for a 4dr, and he told me to talk to Kenny at River Raider. Called Kenny, but of course he put it in a 2dr, so he wasn't sure of the length for a 4dr.

So I guess I'm going to have to do it the hard way and take measurements myself (and hope I get it right).
post #17 of 22 Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Well I talked to Chip yesterday. He had no idea what length cable to use for a 4dr, and he told me to talk to Kenny at River Raider. Called Kenny, but of course he put it in a 2dr, so he wasn't sure of the length for a 4dr.

So I guess I'm going to have to do it the hard way and take measurements myself (and hope I get it right).

Yup.... get it right! and take good notes!!!

Cause you know who is next!
post #18 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Granite Guru

Just measure your wheelbase, then measure a 2 door's wheelbase and have him add the difference!! Simple.

Have fun with them, I'm hoping to get OX lockers in my rig someday when funds open up.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #19 of 22 Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I'll talk to a couple guys and see if I can figure it out for you!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #20 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn4cktime View Post
Just measure your wheelbase, then measure a 2 door's wheelbase and have him add the difference!! Simple.

Yeah, it would be that simple. But Kenny doesn't remember what length he used in his 2dr. He thinks it was 8ft, but wasn't positive.
post #21 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

Ohhhh, yeah, that'll make it a bit trickier. Guess a measuring tape is coming out for sure then. When you get it in let us all know how long of a cable works. I'd like to know for my 2 door in the future.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #22 of 22 Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn4cktime View Post
When you get it in let us all know how long of a cable works.
X2. This is in my future; this year, if everything goes as planned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode