• 1 Post By W3CSX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe
Glove Box Mod / 2-Way Radio Install

Hey All,

I figured I would share my Glove Box Mod & 2-Way Radio install...

After looking at other peoples CB/2 Meter install pictures, I decided to do something a bit different. The radio I'm using is an All-Band (HF/2Meter/440cm) Amateur ICOM IC-7000. It's a rather pricey radio, so I wanted to keep dry, out of the way, and out of sight. Since I plan on running in the summer without doors, the under-the-chair mount didn't work for me.

I decided to convert the glovebox to an electronics locker. I know it's not an armoured box, but it should keep Honest people Honest. After quite a bit of internal debate, it was actually only about a 10 minute mod. After removing and inspecting the glovebox, I figured out the box is just glued to the doorskin and the lock is attached to the skin. If you just start tugging, you end up with this:

For now i've mounted the radio with Zip Ties to the AC Vent and Metal Support Bar. It'll hold good enough until I can have a bracket fabricated to brace between the firewall and the front support bar that holds the glovebox latch.

With the door closed, it looks exactly like it did before I started:

For now i've mounted the remote head in a cupholder mount:

I used the hole on the passenger's side to get power. After poking out the foam I routed 8 Gauge red/black zip cord to the battery:

and I used Anderson powerpole connectors to tie it all in:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe
(Continued)

To mount the antenna, I used a Diamond K400 mount on the passenger side of the tailgate. While it looks like the antenna cable is going into the doorjam, I didn't want it to get pinched over time. It actually routes under the black piece to the middle of the tailgate:

I routed the antenna wire through a spare grommet located behind the spare tire. I used a metal rod (with black tape on the tip to prevent needless paint chips):

To snake through the rear door and pull the cable back through:

I used that same spare metal wire (it was an old antenna) to fish the antenna cable forward:

First I pulled an old piece of black wire to the rear that I then used as a pull string to pull the antenna cable forward. The only piece of plastic body I had to pull up is the one in this following picture:

I tried to route the antenna cable through the factory cable-mesh on the back gate, but the end connector wouldn't fit. Even still, it still hides pretty good behind it as-is. You can also see the backside of the Diamond K400 mount in this picture.

I also ran a smaller power cable to the rear so I can eventually have a power outlet near the tailgate.

Here's the big picture of the antenna from the outside, its a Diamond 7900:

Still Do Do:

- Figure out a better permanent mount (i'm thinking overhead) for the detachable face.
- Add a Cobra 75WX ST to communicate with those too lazy to get a license
- Figure out where/how to mount the HF and CB Antennas
- Install an Inverter in the Electronics Locker
- Finish the DC Power Feed to Tailgate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Rock God

Nice Job.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Very nice and very clean install!

Did you cut down the glove box to be able to still have something to put trinkets in?

I like it.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Did you cut down the glove box to be able to still have something to put trinkets in?
Now that's a good idea. I've been trying to find a place to put an 800w inverter.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM

:golfclap:

VERY NICE!!

uber-clean install!!

only wish I had known the pass side dash came off like that to snake power for the windshield mounted lights...laid under the dash for about 30min to get mine thru the grommet in the firewall..then fished it out of the fenderwell...(no fun!!)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Granite Guru

Nicely done.

I installed the controller of my ham radio overhead like your contemplating. After nearly a year its never budged. Even after all the washboard roads / trails I run on.

07 steel blue two door Rubi.
-RE 4.5"; 35"; 4.88's; Protected by River Raiders, Skid Row, & Rock Hard skids; Custom on board air; Ham radios; other mods by Warn, Poly Performance; & a few other toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode