Clayton vs Poly P vs TF 3" HELP!!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Clayton vs Poly P vs TF 3" HELP!!!!!

Ok Im losing my mind. The more I read the more undecided I become. I know all 3 kits are good from what I read so I suppose I cant go wrong with either one. But there are some things that are starting to confuse me. Like flip draglink and trackbar reloc. brackets blah blah blah. So who gives the most for what Im paying? If they are all about as good as each other I may just go to Claytons and have them install their kit. Would seem the smart thing to do. Was gonna go 4"+ but I wanna stick with 35s and all companies say thats too big for 35s. I was in lala land for a minute and contemplated 37s but this is my DD.

Clayton 3.5 (recommend Bilsteins or Walker Evans remotes)
Poly Perf. 3 " stage III (their own shocks or Fox)
Teraflex 3" ( currently out of their shocks)

Seems each kit leaves something different out that I will need to buy seperate. Adds to the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Uhhhhhhh, anyone know anything on any of these lifts?????
post #3 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I have yet to hear of anyone being unhappy with a poly lift
personally my lift is built using mostly poly parts - if I had it to do over again I would have just gone with a poly stage 3 to begin with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 07:02 PM

The first thing I will change about my Terra lift is a softer set of shocks. Might be ok on a hard top 4 door, but my soft top 2 door rides stiff.

Just my 2 cents. . .
post #5 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM
lbh
Rock God

This is a pretty discussed topic. I only have expierence with the Poly set up on my JK. I have absolutely no complaints. The system is well designed and built. I am running Fox Remote res shocks. I hae the Stage three and love it. Again, i cant say enoguh about the custmoer support and service you will also get at Poly. So, if it were me, i would buy the Poly set up.

2007 JK
post #6 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I have yet to hear of anyone being unhappy with a poly lift
X2 I've been very happy with every Poly product I've owned.
post #7 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah I guess they are all good. Im just gonna go with Clayton. Havent read anything bad about them on any forum. And they are only an hour away from where I live. Ill just have them install it. Thanks for the input.
post #8 of 72 Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

I'm down with the hybrid OME HD Long Travel Kit that David from Northridge 4x4 puts together...just .02

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
post #9 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

Let us know how you like the Clayton setup.

801-713-3314
post #10 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Whats anyone think about mixing? Like a Clayton kit with the Poly Perf shocks? I know some say shocks are "specially tuned" to a certain lift. How much is this really true? And which shocks are better Bilstein or the Polys? Clayton recommends Bilsteins with their lifts.
post #11 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Ipe
Rock God

I've got a Poly stage III with the poly shocks. Overall I like everything about it... except the shocks. They are VERY off road biased resulting in a very firm ride on the street. If you are looking for plush you will not find it in the Poly shocks. I wish I has spent the extra $$$ for the Fox CD adjust shocks. Oh well....

If you are looking for a detailed explanation of the Poly kit here is a write up I did last year.
post #12 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Alec W

Iíd put the Fox adjustable shocks on whatever lift you end up getting.

Iím happy with my Poly stage 3 lift and fox shocks. Mine was one of the first Poly Synergy lifts (itís been on the Jeep almost a year and a half now), and it feels the same today as it did when I installed it.
post #13 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
I've got a Poly stage III with the poly shocks. Overall I like everything about it... except the shocks. They are VERY off road biased resulting in a very firm ride on the street. If you are looking for plush you will not find it in the Poly shocks. I wish I has spent the extra $$$ for the Fox CD adjust shocks. Oh well....

If you are looking for a detailed explanation of the Poly kit here is a write up I did last year.
Ok now Im adding lifts back on my list. Actually Poly was one of the 1st ones I was checking out. But like I said Clayton is not to far from my house so I kind of like that idea. I was trying not to go the remote reservoir route due to price but I just may end up with them. Poly has the Fox and Clayton has the Walker Evans. But even if I dont go with the Clayton I would be going to OK4WD in Jersey and they arent a distributor of Poly.
post #14 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Rock God

Shoot Pig or Goat on the board a message or call and ask for Dave at Poly I am sure they will match competitors prices or make it worth your while. They are awesome for sure.. The poly shocks are definitely a little rough on the road, but when you add a lot of weight like bumpers winch and tire carriers, etc.. They soften up will soften up some. But like everyone said if money isn't an issue go with the fox setup. I am sure the TF and Clayton are good choices as well..

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #15 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Wheeler

I've heard nothing but good things about all three of your choices. I recently purchased my first teraflex lift. I got the 4" kit with 3" springs (that way I got all the breaklines, front huge adjustable trackbar, etc). Easy install, love it thus far.

That being said, I researched Poly and Clayton as they were on my list of possibilities as well. I chose Tera after calling and talking to Carl at Tera, but I heard nothing but good things about Poly and Clayton as well.

I don't think you can make a bad choice here.

doc
post #16 of 72 Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

Hey Mizz.. if you are ever down on the Jersey shore(ocean or momouth county).. Send me a P.M. I have the clayton 4.5" with 35's. I'll let you test it out to see how you like it. I love the setup. They are the beefiest control arms i've ever had.

That being said. I also can't say anything bad about poly performance. They have great products. Also Terraflex. I'm looking into their long arm upgrade for the summer.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #17 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZZ View Post
Seems each kit leaves something different out that I will need to buy seperate. Adds to the confusion.

Our Kit is pretty all inclusive. Is there a product that you were hoping was in our kit that is in the other choices?
post #18 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Wheeler

If you have any questions, give me a call.

:

1-888-837-2359 ext 308 Joe

post #19 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I just bought my lift today after researching and exploring my options for about a month. I bought a Poly Performance Stage III kit + extras.

When it comes to something as vital as suspension, I look at a complete package from an engineering standpoint. Everyone has nice kits, but I'm convinced that NO ONE has spent the engineering time that Poly has. Everything...from the high-steer instead of a drop pitman to maintain correct geometry and prevent bump steer, to including both front and rear track bar brackets that raise the roll center by 3" to maintain/improve vehicle handling, to the built-in SS relocation, to the on-vehicle control-arm adjustability using pinch bolts instead of relying on jam nut torque, to the rear shock mounting...EVERYTHING was thought through and designed as a cohesive unit to lift the vehicle CORRECTLY and address all the geometry and strength issues that occur when you lift. If there's a better-designed or more complete kit out there, I sure haven't seen it. It bolts on to boot. Was it expensive? Hell yeah, $3500 after the additions...but I have no doubt it'll be worth it.

Super-beefy control arms or magical flex joints are great, but if the vehicle bump steers, or handles funny because the roll center was only addressed at one end (if at all), or shears a mount...then I didn't get a well-engineered kit.

Having said that, aside from Poly, Currie makes a truly complete engineered kit as well...but involves some pretty heavy drilling and welding to complete. If you can do that stuff, or don't mind really ripping into the Jeep....that's a great contender too, and a bit less expensive than the Poly.
post #20 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I was doing TF if I did the LA. But Im not gonna go LA. Its either Poly with Fox adjustables or Clayton with Walker Evans adjustables. I should just flip a coin. But I have a little time because I cant decide on wheels either. Thats either Walker Evans matte black beadlocks or Hutchinson rock monster matte black. Unless I can find something cheaper in wheels but nothing is really doing it for me.
post #21 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just wrote it down and compared PP and Clayton kits part for part. Heres the differences.

Clayton $2050. extras-rear adj track bar $200., Walker Evans remotes $1200. total $3450.
Poly Perf. $2570. extras- F&R trackbars $400., Fox remotes $1140., tapered reamer $85., total $4195.

Extras Poly has over Clayton: high steer draglink kit. rear lower shock mounts. front trackbar bracket.

So assuming both are equivalent in quality are the extras in the Poly kit worth the extra $745.00? Basically it all seems to come down to the draglink and lower shock mounts.

Last edited by MIZZ; 03-30-2009 at 10:35 PM.
post #22 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

with the trackbar brackets you do not need the adjustable track bars. That is unless you want to REALLY dial it in. The trackbar brackets will recenter your axles and allow you to run the stock track bars which have nice bushings

Just curious, if clayton does not give you a draglink flip kit, how does it handle the steering issue? I hope they do not use a drop pitman...
post #23 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

I just took a look at thier kit and looks like they ignored the steering issue.

So in your price debate I would add the cost of a draglink flip kit to the Clayton kit if you are looking for a complete solution. So actually, if you add the flip kit to the Clayton and remove the adjustable TB from the Poly you would be pretty close in price

I like the Walker evans shocks but I would go Poly since it is a more complete kit.

Personnaly I like the Currie kit except I would not use a Drop pitman. THe Currie kit with Walker shocks, antirock Sways and a Poly draglink flip kit would be my choice if I had the money! Or now that I think about it, A polly kit with the fox shocks but using the Currie arms instead as that is what I like about the Currie kit

Fun to dream...I will be sticking with my bastardized 1 part at a time kit, lol

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 03-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.
post #24 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
with the trackbar brackets you do not need the adjustable track bars. That is unless you want to REALLY dial it in. The trackbar brackets will recenter your axles and allow you to run the stock track bars which have nice bushings

Just curious, if clayton does not give you a draglink flip kit, how does it handle the steering issue? I hope they do not use a drop pitman...
Asked Adam from Clayton today about the draglink kit and he said I didnt really need it for a 3 to 4 inch lift.
post #25 of 72 Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

There is a bunch of people on here who have added a draglink flip kit to a 3-4" lift and reported the steering was much better. I can tell you that I have a 4ish lift and I am lokin to flip my draglink to improve my steering. A draglink flip and a trackbar bracket that moves the axle end mount of the Trackbar up will also improve your roll center. My opinion is it may not be "needed" but will be an improvment

I know Alecw said all his steering issues went away once he added the flip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode