Locking Hood - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Locking Hood

Those thieves may not be as stupid as they look.
They knew that my JK's alarm would be useless if the battery was disconected, so that's what they did.
Who has the answer to making the hood a bit more difficult to get open?
Thanks
Kink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

It took me 30 seconds to find this...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_110.htm
post #3 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
It took me 30 seconds to find this...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_110.htm
Yeah but do you have one and do you like it for that crazy-high price?

I bought this one and it's been great, also helps with the hood lift issue.http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_100.htm

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Yeah but do you have one and do you like it for that crazy-high price?

I bought this one and it's been great, also helps with the hood lift issue.http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_100.htm
I don't have a hood lock. I was just showing the original poster how easy it was to find one. Another thirty seconds and I would have found yours. Maybe it's just easier to post up here than to search for yourself....
post #5 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUERUBI View Post
I was looking at that same rugged ridge hood lock....I will have to cut a hole through my mesh grill insert though to put it on.

For now, I have a backpack I put everything in and take with me so that noone will have anything to take. Only thing left is the factory stuff and is all insured.
Well actually, you have to remove the grill to put it on. But you would then need a hole in the mesh grill to insert the key. The down side of these locks.

I have always thought it would be cool if someone would make a locking latch to replace the two hood hold-downs. I've seen a couple DIY's but nothing for sale.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Granite Guru

I've got the Mopar Hood Lock, it'll get installed as soon as my JK gets back from the shop. It's best feature is that you code it to your ignition key. The part I don't like about it is that you cannot remove the key in the unlocked position. Now of course you can open the hood and remove the key by relocking it with the hood open, but I'm not confident that some genius at a dealership wouldn't then slam my AEV hood down on the lock like that. As it was, the first day I had the hood, the genius flipped it up onto my windshield!

In general though it's a nice lock and if you don't mind the bit about removing the key, seems a small price to pay for at least making it a bit more of a pain to get under the hood for a thief.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
I've got the Mopar Hood Lock, it'll get installed as soon as my JK gets back from the shop. It's best feature is that you code it to your ignition key. The part I don't like about it is that you cannot remove the key in the unlocked position. Now of course you can open the hood and remove the key by relocking it with the hood open, but I'm not confident that some genius at a dealership wouldn't then slam my AEV hood down on the lock like that. As it was, the first day I had the hood, the genius flipped it up onto my windshield!

In general though it's a nice lock and if you don't mind the bit about removing the key, seems a small price to pay for at least making it a bit more of a pain to get under the hood for a thief.
Hey bro I didnt know you had a AEV HOOD.How do you like it? I am gonna get one this summer and have it installed when I have the top painted but did you have any problems with it. Did it fit right out of the box? Did you have do anything crazy to make it fit and perfect and look sick. I love that hood,gives the JK a complete smooth and mean look. If you could or get a chance could you throw some pics up? I just love the look
post #8 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFTED&LOADED View Post
Hey bro I didnt know you had a AEV HOOD.How do you like it? I am gonna get one this summer and have it installed when I have the top painted but did you have any problems with it. Did it fit right out of the box? Did you have do anything crazy to make it fit and perfect and look sick. I love that hood,gives the JK a complete smooth and mean look. If you could or get a chance could you throw some pics up? I just love the look
It's true you are a jackass aren't you. And here I was giving you the benifit of the doubtGoodbye.

Quote:
post #9 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Is this going on yours or the Rubicon?
post #10 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Garage

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback boys.
i owe the thirty but don't worry, i'm good for it.
kink out
post #12 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Jebus F-ing Christmas! lol You can't possibly be that f-ing stupid can you? I'm serious, this has gone beyond the point of being a moron, and now I'm thinking it's just a troll.

You're going to ask me for pics? lol
1) I posted some pics, but they only made you delete your own thread, because they exposed you as being a liar, along with about 20 quotes of how full of $hit you were.

2) You've already seen pics of my JK because I sent them right to your F-ing email box at yahoo. I'm the guy who mentioned the Ripp SC and Brembos, who in your complete ineptitude you then regurtitated my own mods right back at me and said they were YOUR next two mods, because you got me confused with the guy you were trying to sell your Procomps to.

Get the hell out of here with your completely worthless advice on mods you don't even have, and telling everyone what your "next" mod will be. Nobody gives a $hit and nobody is impressed.

And by the way at last count your "next" mod was going to be (in no particular order):
AEV Hood
Wildboar Fastback Top
Ripp Supercharger
Red Rock Sliders

As a side note, you've also got a hemi in your garage and a chopped top. I'm sure as soon as someone else posts a cool mod, you'll have that part sitting in your garage from a fictional junk yard that apparently has everything. Maybe you could look there for the above parts you want.

Oh and you don't own two JKs, as I offered to before I have pictures of both plates and will gladly run them to see if they both come back as having you as the registered owner. You know, the pics that were taken on Woodbridge Rd.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of this forum Jesse.

Anyone not a complete douchebag that would like a pic of the hood lock or my AEV hood, simply ask and I'll put some up.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

When they broke into mine, they just popped the side window and climbed in through there. The alarm didn't go off because they didn't open the door. They used the center console door to pull themselves in and that broke open from that little force. It wasn't locked, just latched. That didn't matter because they broke the latch anyway.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #14 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
When they broke into mine, they just popped the side window and climbed in through there. The alarm didn't go off because they didn't open the door. They used the center console door to pull themselves in and that broke open from that little force. It wasn't locked, just latched. That didn't matter because they broke the latch anyway.
1) mine is too lifted for that to happen. The short little crooks can barely see in.
2) Do you leave your doors unlocked or locked?
3) Sorry to hear that.
Some people really suck and deserve a good beat down. ( Like L&L) Speaking of which.... the relentlessness is hilarious... keep it up.

FWIW, I leave my doors unlocked so the wanna be pansy ass thieves will always try the handle, and as soon as the door pops open..bam.. there is the alarm blaring my call. (this trick put three people on a couple years probation, and I didn't loose one single thing) I also live 2 miles or less from the main police headquarters.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD

Last edited by bfj aka tambil; 03-27-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 31 Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru

I leave the doors locked, It was parked at a restaurant in Flint MI in full daylight. You just don't leave doors unlocked around here. The cop said they probably saw the empty GPS mount on the dash.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #16 of 31 Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM

SORRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I leave the doors locked, It was parked at a restaurant in Flint MI in full daylight. You just don't leave doors unlocked around here. The cop said they probably saw the empty GPS mount on the dash.
SORRY...Little off the subject but your advatar is pretty sweet. looks like a strung out Cat In The Hat after getting some tats, piercings and some gel in his hair
post #17 of 31 Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Relentless troll is relentless. And the word is AVATAR, you retard. Capital letters belong at the beginning of every sentence.

English, mother f ukka, do you speak it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 03-28-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: English, apparently even I don't speak it.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

Can't believe I missed that

@ Hitmoney:
ZOMG - LMFAO
Most.
Appropriate.
Smiley.
Evar.

Fookin love it!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #19 of 31 Old 03-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Granite Guru

This place has the Rugged Ridge lock for $15.95 .....

http://www.cseoffroad.com/1125205.html

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #20 of 31 Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Granite Guru

WOW! This thread bounced off every wall!

I purchased and installed the Mopar Hood Lock. I like it.... it uses the ignition key (no locksmith required), it only alows the hood to pop up alittle when the hood tie downs are popped loose, the key can be removed in either position... you can leave it locked or unlocked. BUT... you need a huge pop rivet gun to install. It runs $200 at Fastenal, luckily my Brother already owned one. Any body shop or glass repair shop should have one... same size rivet is used for window parts inside doors of most vehicles.
post #21 of 31 Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I don't have a hood lock. I was just showing the original poster how easy it was to find one. Another thirty seconds and I would have found yours. Maybe it's just easier to post up here than to search for yourself....
well 30 sec man maybe he was looking for a home made idea took me 2 sec to figure that out

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
post #22 of 31 Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM

I have a viper hood lock that has been sitting in the bottom of my tool box for about 10 years. LOL Still havent managed to put it on one of my 3 YJ's or my JK.
post #23 of 31 Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

I would like to see your AEV Hood install pics. Dont think it will be my next mod.
I need to install a light bar and I am considering more suspension and drive train upgrades in the future.

Thanks,
Patrick

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #24 of 31 Old 11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
(...) Now of course you can open the hood and remove the key by relocking it with the hood open, but I'm not confident that some genius at a dealership (...)
Not to worry... with the key out and latch engaged, it seems that when the hood is closed, there will be no damage if the hood is put down and they'll only end up with a locked hood. Now if that same dipsh!t left your keys under the hood....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjeep View Post
BUT... you need a huge pop rivet gun to install. It runs $200
HF has one for 20 bucks that will handle a 1/4" rivet... too bad it isn't the 4 dollar item, but I am sure I'll find plenty of new ways to rivet everything in sight.
post #25 of 31 Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 AM
JKO Addict!

just call up your local jeep dealer...ask for parts and ask for a price on the 2009-10' hood lock option for the JK. Thats where I got mine.. And its not just the ignition key that it takes...It keys itself to the first key that you put in the whole.

Trust me...I installed mine in 10 min....And that included opening and closing the hood.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode