My New JK mods HELP - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My New JK mods HELP

Well I just bought my new 08 Jk 2-door x. I figure since its my first car that I bought with my own money I will start small and add as I go. Thus i got an x and need some insight. I'm new to this whole off-roading, mudding, trailing, rock crawling thing so I dont know much but i learn fast. I was just wondering what your first couple of mods would be. I'm really interested in getting the engine and exterior sounding and looking good since where I live winter is arriving and I wont be doing much off-roading. So first give me some insight on those first few mods for engine and exterior. Then go for under the body and interior. Thanks and it's great to find a place for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2007, 04:34 PM

first thing i would do is sit down and decide what you want to do with the truck and what you want it to look like. have a complete plan of the ultimate build. there is nothing like buying something and then just changing it out after a few year. ie, a lift that gets you 35's, but then you ultimately want 37's. take your time
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Deffinatley sit down a plan it out. It is ok to build in stages, but you want to make sure you only have to do each stage once. There is no sense in buying to lifts, or two bumpers, or two of anything. Save some time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Granite Guru

It's been mentioned before, but the most important thing to do is take your vehicle out stock! Obviously you'll want another vehicle there to help out if you get stuck or whatnot, but just go wheel it as hard as you want. This will give you an indication of what you can and can't do as well as what you want it to be able to do. You can say, Hey, I want to go up there...going to need (insert high priced item here!!).

After that, what I ended up doing was sitting down and making a "requirement" list. For instance, I want a vehicle that can clear 37" tires, has solid armor all around yet keeps a low center of gravity. My bumpers need to handle the 37" spare in rear and a winch up front.

From here you simply start to prioritize your build. I'm going to armor up first (others lift first). Reason here for me is I want to be able to fall off the rock before I even think about climbing it. Personal choice though. Included in armor is a winch and other assorted recovery items.

The lift I'm going to run will clear 37" tires, but I'll be getting 35" first. I can wheel those for a year or two and then move up if I really want.

As far as making any modifications to the engine or the exterior, I can't honestly see anything that you would need to do for what you want it to do. For pure snow driving and mild off road use for the immediate winter, you're probably all ready to go as is! Might want to look at picking up a set of the stock Rubicon wheels (found here and other places for cheap cheap).

I've never made any of these mods, but have seen a lot of people get the air intake for the engine first, maybe a throttle body spacer. The biggest mod I would make to the inside is the grab handle!! Your significant other/friends/family will appreciate it more than you!

I guess the biggest part is what everyone else is saying. Go slow and be methodical!

Last edited by crypnite; 11-28-2007 at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM

Im a seasoned wheeler...

in order of importance...

TOOLS (cant fix it if ya aint got tools..seen trucks stranded cus someone didnt have a socket to fix something simple!)

tow points..(front and rear..a rear receiver tube works AWSOME for a tow point!!)

STRAP..(and do not under any circumstances get the ones with hooks on the ends..get the 2inx30'ft..you'll love it!!)

Hi-lift jack

upgrade to more agressive tires..

air-down for traction..

and dont go wheelin alone...IF YOU DO...

WINCH (at least 1 1/2x the weight of your jeep...a 6000lb one will BARELY do the job..most 8000lbs ones are only $40 more than the 6K's..so get a nice NAME BRAND winch..not the cheap CHICAGO/Harbor freight ones..they work..but TRUST ME..when you really really need it..thats when it breaks!!)

and find a local group..lettem know your new..they can teach ya what ya need to know..
post #6 of 6 Old 12-02-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks alot for all the input and ideas you have allowed me to think about. Took it mudding for the first time the other day (great times, I love jeeps!!) Everything was great except got stuck once. Well Worked my way out in reverse and ran through it again at a different angle piece of cake. The stock was actually really good. Definately want more power though.

I do need to find a local group to go with and probably going to get a lift and some 33's for the first real mod. Wont really get the winch and that stuff unless i get serious about trail riding. thanks again for all the input and if anyone does know why is Black diamond lift kit come with shocks if it is just a body lift. If i get this will i need anything else like sway bar or something like that?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode