death wobble - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

death wobble

first time posting sorry if i screw it up, not new to wheeling though. I have read numerous threads on dw, still have it. I have an 09 rubicon unlimited 4 " teraflex with adj control arms and track bar, 37 13.50 17 nitto mud grapplers on spyder locks, 5:13 gears with about 4000 miles. after driving for a month with the factory wheels finally got my ps locks everything was fine, abouta month or so later developed dw at around 20 - 30 mph seems worse when r tire hits pothole. here's what i have done wheels rebalanced/alignment twice changed caster second time after new wheels, no help, dealership retorqued all bolts, bracket s are good no cracking, new steering stabilizer, changed pressure currently 30 psi is better at lower psi rotated tires, nothing helped, dealer said it was stabilizer, got slightly better after new one. not sure if c arms are bent will attach pics any ideas? i miss my tj did i mention with 2000 miles the front ds axle poped a ujoint clip and destroyed the axle and then axle seal went out both replaced dealer said it happens a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-my-tj View Post
first time posting sorry if i screw it up, not new to wheeling though. I have read numerous threads on dw, still have it. I have an 09 rubicon unlimited 4 " teraflex with adj control arms and track bar, 37 13.50 17 nitto mud grapplers on spyder locks, 5:13 gears with about 4000 miles. after driving for a month with the factory wheels finally got my ps locks everything was fine, abouta month or so later developed dw at around 20 - 30 mph seems worse when r tire hits pothole. here's what i have done wheels rebalanced/alignment twice changed caster second time after new wheels, no help, dealership retorqued all bolts, bracket s are good no cracking, new steering stabilizer, changed pressure currently 30 psi is better at lower psi rotated tires, nothing helped, dealer said it was stabilizer, got slightly better after new one. not sure if c arms are bent will attach pics any ideas? i miss my tj did i mention with 2000 miles the front ds axle poped a ujoint clip and destroyed the axle and then axle seal went out both replaced dealer said it happens a lot
First off welcom to the forum j-sack was going throug the same thing you decribe. He finally tracked the DW down to his tie rod. So you may want to look at yours, hope that helps.

.[___]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(OllllllO)
{}--o{}
post #3 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

havent noticed any bowing/bends havenst had it on trails yet, almost scared after the axle incident from just street driving will probably take it back to alignment shop have them look at it maybe adjust toe thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-my-tj View Post
havent noticed any bowing/bends havenst had it on trails yet, almost scared after the axle incident from just street driving will probably take it back to alignment shop have them look at it maybe adjust toe thanks
Too much toe-in can cause it. Too much toe-out will make it feel like its wandering. I personally believe 1/16-1/8 toe-in is ideal.

I dont know if I would take the dealers word on re-torquing the nuts/bolts. I have seen where an axle side track bar bolt could use a turn or two on the bolt... and just that caused DW. 95% of the time DW is somehow related to the track bar. (Assuming all else doesnt have something noticably wrong.)

Another thing to remember is that most alignment shops will set your caster to FACTORY specs... 4.2 +/- .5 degrees. That is too upright for lifted and larger tires. Have them dial it into 5.5-6.0 degrees and see how it does then.

Also, 30 psi is a little on the high side for 37's. Running 24-26 will prob give you a little better ride, and will also help your DW...

Good luck!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I would say if your trackbar is tight at both end I would say your tires are suspect. Those nitto mud tires are the worst for a DD.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2009, 11:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Lots of things can contribute to DW.

Let me tell you a little story....

My JK never had DW until recently. Checked all the reg things, thought I had it whipped a couple of times. About the time I thought I had it worked out, it would go into DW again.

I finally adjusted my toe. About .25" toed in. FIXED!!! No more DW!

I was determined to figure out how to stop the DW. I tried everything. I think between things wearing, and me running the JK VERY VERY hard in the rocks, 'stuff' moved around enough to cause the DW problem.

The DW was getting bad- almost un-drivable. I was at my shop and first adjusted the front wheels toe out a bit. Test drive up the street, immediately went into DW. Come back to the shop and go the other way-- toe in. Test drive- no wobble. Swweeet! Another turn on the toe in (about a quarter inch in the front of the tire) just to make sure. Drives 100% better now. That was about a week ago and about 500 miles--I havent had DW since.
And I cant see or feel any odd wearing of the tire (yet) because of toe in.

Hope this helps!!!

BTW- I think you need 8 or 9 degrees of positive caster with your set-up.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i should know better than to take dealerships word am on my way to check myself if before trip to alignment thanks for the info
post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

To all those above thanks a lot for the info trackbar was tight. Come to think of it the last time i was at alignment shop he said something about caster barely being in spec but didn't think much of it at the time. It drives great on hwy to work but terrible in ruts on city streets. I just chalked the tires and dropped from 30 to 27 psi. will be at the alignment shop this afternoon to adjust toe/caster. Thanks again to everybody for advice. i will post results, will probly get it straightened out just in time to screw it up in the rocks
post #9 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 AM

had the same issue...

I went with the Rough Country dual stabelizer and it has helped a bunch. Haven't had the DW since. They suggest the dual for a JK with a 4"+ lift with tires above 35's. Good luck.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
TrailDuty.com

[quote=RubiJK;99031]
Quote:
Too much toe-in can cause it. Too much toe-out will make it feel like its wandering. I personally believe 1/16-1/8 toe-in is ideal.
It would have to be excessive toe-in to cause it and you would see a real bad wear pattern on the tires pretty quickly. Measuring the difference front to rear in inches will vary depending on tire size, but you are pretty much right for 37's, 1/8" = 0.20, which is factory spec.

Quote:
95% of the time DW is somehow related to the track bar. (Assuming all else doesnt have something noticably wrong.)
X2 Don't just check the bolts, check the joints also.

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that most alignment shops will set your caster to FACTORY specs... 4.2 +/- .5 degrees. That is too upright for lifted and larger tires. Have them dial it into 5.5-6.0 degrees and see how it does then.
If running a double cardan CV front drive shaft, you will unlikely be able to run 5.5-6.0 caster without excessive driveline vibration. Most people with aftermarket drive shafts have to sacrifice caster to get a good pinion angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode