Dash space for small amp - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dash space for small amp

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a spot inside the dash or possibly under the hood(close to the firewall) where I could place a small amp....the stock speakers suck in this jeep and I really like to have good quality music playing when I drive home on leave and on passes and what not....I'll be using the amp to push some new aftermarket speakers I'll be putting in place of the old ones, no sub or anything (probly get stolen anyways) Was thinking though, if there wasnt room in the dash, I could put it under the hood close to the firewall, but I'm kinda scared of getting it wet and I dont want to mount the amp in the cab as it would prob. get stolen at some point. I've kinda thought about making a waterproof box for it but I wonder about heat and placement. So I've put those up as my options, and yes I will be installing a hood lock too.

Anyone got any suggestions to this? Such as placement, alternatives, what box material to use(plexyglass, wood, etc etc)

I've also thot about goin to the dealer and just getting the good system installed, dunno how much that'd cost me though....

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I personnaly wouldn't put it under the hood for two reasons, dust/dirt/mud/deicer Gets everywhere under there. The main reson though would be heat. Most amps have a hard enough time keeping themselves cool, let alone in an engine bay.

There is room to be found under the dash. The only real way to answer that question would be knowing the demensions of the amp. Depending on the size/shape you go with, you may be able to find a decent sized spot that would still have airflow under the glove box.

Pull out your glove box and look around in there and see if you can find an amp that fits! Of course, it would have to be a pretty small one...

Maybe just to the bottom of the dash in the passenger footwell? Might be visible slightly?

Post pics if you figure something out!
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably do a full write up if i decide to do it, Im sure someone is bound to want better speakers in their JK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Granite Guru

Well you could put an amp under your seat. I wouldnt know about hiding the wires or anything like that but I would think you could fit a nice size amp under the seat. Maybe even a nice 8" woofer if you find someone who is amazing at making small enough boxes like that.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I had the same dilema when wanting to mount a 2-way radio. I decided the glove box had to go. The box is actually just glued to the skin and can be safely seperated. Here's what it looks like:

Your not going to fit a massive multi-channel amp in there, but a small one would fit in there quite easily.

My goals were to keep it dry and out of people's eyes when I have the doors off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
I had the same dilema when wanting to mount a 2-way radio. I decided the glove box had to go. The box is actually just glued to the skin and can be safely seperated.

Your not going to fit a massive multi-channel amp in there, but a small one would fit in there quite easily.

My goals were to keep it dry and out of people's eyes when I have the doors off.
That looks great! I dont keep much in there anyways, paper and pens...nothing i couldn't put in the console anyways Great Idea

post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Here's a link to my install with a few more pics:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Well you could put an amp under your seat. I wouldnt know about hiding the wires or anything like that but I would think you could fit a nice size amp under the seat. Maybe even a nice 8" woofer if you find someone who is amazing at making small enough boxes like that.

I have a 4 door rubi will all the options. I put my amp under the passenger front seat and ran the wires with my side airbags. That seems to work great but I ran into a huge problem in the summer when i do not have doors on at all and use bikini top when it rains, the amp gets wet and now it is bad. I'm looking at creating a weather protection cover for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode