Aftermarket JK steering - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Aftermarket JK steering

I was lucky enough to test a new JK steering setup for ORO over the last 3 months. Living a few miles away from their shop came in handy!
The tire rod is made of solid 1.375" heat treated chromoly and is straight. No bends in it at all and it raises it about 1" over the stock set up.
The steering handles awesome on the road and the added beef will come in handy in the rocks!

Heres a few pics......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Granite Guru

I like it but $425... that's $100 more than the poly

I also like the idea of it being straight but i dunno if that's worth $100 to me

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Until we can upgrade the sector shaft / steering box, we're only using band aids on the problem, IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 AM
TrailDuty.com

Why not flip the tie rod over the knuckle? Seems to me if you go to all the trouble to design new mounts, it would make sense to design them to allow the tie rod to be flipped over and gain a whole lot more clearance.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Until we can upgrade the sector shaft / steering box, we're only using band aids on the problem, IMO
Hydro assist
post #6 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Why not flip the tie rod over the knuckle? Seems to me if you go to all the trouble to design new mounts, it would make sense to design them to allow the tie rod to be flipped over and gain a whole lot more clearance.

My guess is the part of the knuckle where the drag link mounts would be in the way of a straight tie rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
I like it but $425... that's $100 more than the poly

I also like the idea of it being straight but i dunno if that's worth $100 to me
I suppose the two laser cut brackets, TIG welding them, and coating them add to the cost.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
My guess is the part of the knuckle where the drag link mounts would be in the way of a straight tie rod?
That's my point, if you going to design new tie rod mounts, why not design them in such a way that you can flip the tie rod?
post #8 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
my sentiments exactly, the intermediate steering shaft is a steaming pile of junk, imho...I had partially put it back together on the trail last week, although it did completely stop all the clunking and steering noises...

Quote:
Hydro assist
that sounds expensive to me...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #9 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
x2, only 1"???
I would definitely buy it if it were over knuckle and gained 2-3". Otherwise, I would just buy a Poly tie rod. Matt, tell ORO to rethink this... or maybe Poly could design one...
post #10 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Wheeler

If mounted on top, I wonder if one could use the teraflex offset tie rod ends to clear the drag link knuckle? It's a one ton and comes in RH and LH.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/hea...ock-taper.html

post #11 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
That's my point, if you going to design new tie rod mounts, why not design them in such a way that you can flip the tie rod?
If the tie rod was flipped it wouldn't fit with the stock wheels either.
Its My understanding that the kit was designed to work with as many different scenarios out there as it could.

By looking at My Jeep it looks like the tie rod would clear 18" wheels if it was flipped to the top of the mounts.
But even if You relocated the drag link to the top of the knuckle and moved the track bar up to keep the geometry correct, The tie rod would still hit the knuckle where the drag link mounts at full turn.

I think this is a case of trying to fit 10# of stuff in a 5# bag.
I like having all the extra clearance I can get too!
But its still way stronger than the stock tie rod and being that its straight makes it a lot easier to install/adjust.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDPV View Post
If mounted on top, I wonder if one could use the teraflex offset tie rod ends to clear the drag link knuckle? It's a one ton and comes in RH and LH.

Thats cool! I never saw that before!
post #13 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Have you seen this? This might help a bit: Sector Shaft Brace...

http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...?prod=EVO-1015

post #14 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Wheeler

By way of comparison, here's a similar hi steer bracket (from Rocky Road outfitters) for a TJ. Look at all the clearance they were able to get. Why can't a proper hi-steer be done on a JK?

They gained like 6" clearance for the tie rod:

Something like this would be worth paying for... if fact you wouldn´t have to invest in such a heavy duty tie rod when its up and out of the way...

Last edited by VSDPV; 03-19-2009 at 11:45 AM.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Openly Hostile

Really like the idea, but I agree that going through that and not flipping it also seems kinda wasteful.

Jason
post #16 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
But even if You relocated the drag link to the top of the knuckle and moved the track bar up to keep the geometry correct,
No need to do anything with the drag link unless you want to, moving the tie rod doesn't necessitate moving the drag link.

Quote:
The tie rod would still hit the knuckle where the drag link mounts at full turn.
Which was my original point, why not make it so it would work.

For people with aftermarket rims, like myself there may be plenty of clearance so it would work with the tie rod flipped. I understand they are trying to allow it to work with as many setups as possible, but just seems that an opportunity is being lost and that making it so you could mount the tie rod either way would be a nice option.

Quote:
But its still way stronger than the stock tie rod and being that its straight makes it a lot easier to install/adjust.
Stronger than stock is good, but having curved ends like the Poly one doesn't make it any harder to install or adjust.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDPV View Post

The only problem with doing that, is that the offset tie rod ends are only available in a TJ-sized tapered stud, which is smaller than JK tie rod end stud size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
The only problem with doing that, is that the offset tie rod ends are only available in a TJ-sized tapered stud, which is smaller than JK tie rod end stud size.
well, get on the stick an make some for the JK!!!!
post #19 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
On your web page it says: "available in either a stock Jeep® taper or a large one-ton taper (standard Dana 60)". I was thinking of adapting the D60 tie rod end to the ORO brackets. Would have to retaper the bracket anyway to mount it on the top. This an only an idea I'm trying to think through.

Is the D60 rod end not available anymore?

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.

Last edited by VSDPV; 03-19-2009 at 04:43 PM.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Im not sure what the aplication or part # is , but the ORO kit uses 1 ton TRE's.
post #21 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Wheeler

That´s good. At least we know the ORO bracket will handle a 1 ton TRE. The trick here is to convince ORO to put the proper taper in from the top in order to use the teraflex TRE on top (instead of the bottom). Or at least offer this as an option. Any chance of that? Matt, as a tester, you have any pull with them?

2008 Rubicon 2 door 6.5" lift, 37" Swampers, RR narrow tube fenders, reinforced axles, long travel shocks, Rubicrawler 10.88:1, Allied Rockathon Beadlocks, AEV snorkel, Warn winch, purejeep rocker guard, stubby tire carrier, plus a ton of other mods.
post #22 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I dont have any pull with them.
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got the chance to test it out.

The Guys at ORO are really helpful!
Give them a call and ask for Steve. I bet they would be happy to taper the holes on the other side of the mount for You.
post #23 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what about a steering stablizer? will it still reach if its moved out that far?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #24 of 35 Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a relocation bracket that moves it so it mounts off the frame and drag link. I installed it the same time I installed the steering.
I'll snap a pic and post it up tomorow.
post #25 of 35 Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode