anyone running 15" soft 8? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

anyone running 15" soft 8?

I'm trying to find out if anyone is running the 15"x10" soft 8 with -38 offset. I believe that gives you about 1.5" further out similar to if you had spacers but without the spacers. What I've decided I'm going to do is get the 33x12.5x15 bfg at's and run them with no lift. Anyone see a problem with doing this? By my estimation I should be 1.97" wider spaced than stock wheels not counting the extra width of the tire. I think that will be enough to not rub since it will be like running a 1.5" spacer on aftermarked 0 offset wheels.

Also if anyone has any pics with this same set up that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510

EDIT: oops, just noticed the 10" part...I am running 8". There may be somebody in that thread though

DOUBLE EDIT: 8" will be good on the 12.50" tire I think 10" will be too wide when air down

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 03-16-2009 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

the only reason I was thinking 10 is because they offer it with -38 offset. Just like larry craig lol I really like the wide stance look. I am worried that the -38 would be a little too wide. As I said It would be like having 1.5" wheel spacers without having to have the spacers. In the 15x8 I can get -13 wich would be like running a half inch spacer on a 0 offset wheel or a 1" spacer on a stock wheel.

So maybe that would be the best solution. A 15x8 wheel with -13 offset to get me a total of 1" more than with stock rims not adding in the extra width of the 33x12.5x15

So would that setup work??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

That is what I am running. Take a look at the second post in the thread linked above.

15"x8" soft 8 with 35"x12.50" BFG MT
post #5 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

how do those bfg km's work for you on the highway? I've been debaiting between them and the at's. The guy at the tire shop seems to think that I should go with hankook at's but the fancy side pattern kind of bothers me.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

The MT's are pretty good on the freeway and dry. The bigest difference you will notice with the A/T is on the slippery stuff. Wet payvment the M/T's get a little loose, on ice they are terible. The A/T's will be great for hard, smooth, slippery stuff but they will gum up pretty quick offroad in mud or deep snow
post #7 of 11 Old 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Rock God

I am sure you have seen in the other thread that clearance is an issue with the brake calipers on 15s...I would love to run them, but they seem to be hit and miss on clearance...I don't really want to grind...but prices on 15s sure are nice...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #8 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I just saw at the bfg webpage that they suggest 8.5-11 in. wheels with the 33x12.5 and the 35x12.5

Maybe I will try the 15x10 wheels
post #9 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Rock God

I am running 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s with 4" backspacing and 37x12.5x15 Goodyear MTRs. I wouldn't have it any other way. There is no problem running an 8" wheel on a tire that calls for an 8.5"-11" wheel.

With some JKs and some wheels, the back of the wheel rubs on part of the caliper and with some they do not. I belive that some of the difference (at least on 07s) is the difference in the caliper.

Here is a pic of a JK Dana 30 caliper:

Here is a Dana 44 caliper:

The arch, thickness, and design of this piece is different enough that I had rubbing that required grinding with the same exact wheels my friend with a Dana 30 did not. At least for 2007 models, the Dana 30 piece is somewhat rounded, while the Dana 44 piece is more of a boxed, flat piece.

Grinding the excess caliper material is no big deal. Here is the process:

I really only had to grind off material where the line is below. Not much, if any, grinding where the circles are.

I used my daughter's sidewalk chalk to cover the areas identified in the above picture. Then, I would put the wheel on with 2 lug nuts moderately tightened so I could turn the wheel and listen for rubbing. Then, I would remove the wheel and see where the chalk had been rubbed off. I ground a little material off those areas, re-applied the chalk, and repeat. After repeating a second time, I had elminated all the scraping/rubbing on the drivers's side. The process was the same for the passenger's side.

After I finished, I painted the areas I ground with some grey anti-rust primer paint.

Hod rod builders have been grinding calipers for years. I have not heard of one problem here or on any other forum for those who had to do a little grinding to make 15" Cragar Soft 8s with 4" backspacing fit.

Here is my rig:

My wife driving:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Rock God

I have decided to go with 15" ProComp soft 8s with 3.75 inch backspacing...I have been told this will alleviate the need to grind anything, of course, I have a Dana 30 up front, so it looks like I wouldn't have had to grind anyway, but i am going with the procomps with 3.75" backspace...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #11 of 11 Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

I have the 15x8 Crager Soft 8's on a 2007 with a d30 and had have the exact same rubbing. I also ground off that ridge. No issues at all

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 03-19-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode