question about the weight of tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

question about the weight of tires

So yes, I am finally getting around to lifting my unlimited rubicon, hell i've only had it 2.5 years! i've kept putting it off because frankly it has gone everywhere i have asked it to go with little if any problems. But i am going with northridge's OME LT kit, even though i would rather not buy from someone who supports the other forum (even though i am a long time member there as well). regardless, my question is about the weight of tires.

Clearly it would seem that fuel mileage would be affected by 2 things, the additional weight and the increase size. so I am looking into trying to find the lightest weight tire possible in the size i want (285/70/17, though i'd really love something a bit closer to a 33.5 equivalent). i was doing the internet/Google thing the past few days and if i remember correctly from my notes downstairs, which i am too lazy to go down and get, that the weight of stock Rubicon M/T tires are somewhere around 48lbs a tire.

and it appears that just going up to a 285/70/17 KM2 or MT/R (with or without Kevlar) is somewhere in the neighborhood of 58-61 lbs per tire; quite a bit of additional weight, especially because it is rotating weight; which has an exponential effect. I've looked at quite few tires trying to get the weights on them before "trying" to come to a decision. Not to mention, I've heard people are getting around 35k on the KM2's!

Now yes, I wouldn't be lifting and modding my JK if i really cared about my fuel economy, but I am curious what people on here think about this topic.

So if you have constructive comments, I'd love to hear them

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Rock God

I hear what you're saying mtnmedic. My 35's are 66lbs per tire. Certainly, anything you get that would be "good" off road (e.g. puncture resistant, big lugs, etc) will be somewhat heavy.

I would suggest looking at the weight of aftermarket wheels and seeing if you can cut back some fat on that end. That would reduce your rotational mass but still allow you to run bigger/heavier tires.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Rock God

IIRC, stock tires/wheels are about 72lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
Not to mention, I've heard people are getting around 35k on the KM2's!
I have 35k on my KM2s and they have 50% of the tread remaining. Getting another 15-20k miles out of them before the tread becomes too low to be useful would not seem unreasonable.

However, they have developed an unusual wear pattern, 3-4 lugs on the inside edge of each tire have worn down 1/8-3/16" more than the others. The lugs are just in one area, covering 90į or so, and every third block. Most probably from a bad balance, worn suspension component, or something. They are also a touch out of round and my rims are bent. As a result I will be replacing both as soon as I can, but with care and proper maintenance I don't see any reason not to get 50k out of some KM2s.

I choose tires and rims based on what I want them to do, ie: how they will perform both off-road and on-road. Fuel economy is not something I consider directly, but I do look at the weight. The heavier the wheel the more potential damage can happen when it breaks free off-road and spins.

I'm also more interested in how well the sidewalls will flex, how they wear, ease of balance, etc.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I had thought about the weight of the rims, but I kinda like the stock rubi rims and they are lighter than most aftermarket rims.

it's good to hear that getting about 50k on the KIM2's seems reasonable. I think getting an M/T tire to wear perfectly evenly is tough; on my OE KM's, they don't, but i think it might be b/c i have them overinflated by 2psi.

thanks for the input, keep it coming.

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM

I dont think that the extra 2psi would make them wear funny. Most people just use those cheap tire pressure gauges that have a +/- varience of 5 psi. I have always used a digital tire pressure gauge that has a varience of .5 psi and I find that to get most tires to wear correctly you need them to be over inflated by a few psi to keep the ouside lugs from wearing early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode