A/T tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

A/T tires

Ive decided on tire size. Going to put 265/75/16 on stock steels, on stock 08 X Manual with 3.21 gears. Trying to decide on brand, (Toyo open country A/T, General grabber AT2, Cooper Discoverer A/T, Pro Comp Xtreme A/T). Anybody have any experience with any of these? What were your Pros & Cons? Would you purchase again... Or do you have a different brand and models you would suggest. Pics of tire on stock steels would be nice, if anyone has any.
Thank you, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Granite Guru

I have had really good luck with Coopers and the AT's have a really great reputation in the snow and ice. When the time comes to replace the OEM times that's what I'll go with. Right now, Cooper has a $50 rebate when you buy 4 AT's and you will find they are pretty inexpensive to begin with.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Granite Guru

My experience with the coopers has been just the opposite. The only good things I can say about them are they were relatively cheap and the tread wore well. Wet traction was so-so. The bad side is they sucked on snow and ice and I had the tread come apart on one when I was on vacation - on the freeway. These tires had about 40000 miles on them. They were mounted on a fullsize Chevy conversion van and saw 100% street use. I was so displeased with them I did not even look into warranty replacement for them. Here are pics of the tire.

Most of the other tires I've had experience with were Goodyear (OEM on new cars and trucks), Michelin (OEM and my choice for street use) and BFG (My choice for Off Road). I've also had some General Grabbers.

I will never buy another set of Coopers. The Generals were OK, nothing memorable good or bad. Right now my favorite off road / street combo are BFG's. I'll stick with Michelin for primarily street use. After 36 years of buying tires, I can say without doubt, you get what you pay for.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
my favorite off road / street combo are BFG's. I'll stick with Michelin for primarily street use. After 36 years of buying tires, I can say without doubt, you get what you pay for.
this
post #5 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 11:24 AM
TrailDuty.com

BFG AT's are a great all terrain; wear well, easy to balance, smooth ride, and have a reasonable amount of traction off-road for an AT.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Rock God

Yeah, go with the BFGs...Phil basically summed it up perfectly...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, ÜJohn 3:16Ü
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode