AEV vs HYPERTECH or???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

AEV vs HYPERTECH or????

I know this has been here before but wanting to know which is better the AEV or Hypertech's programmer? Any and all information you have would be great.

Last edited by O2BDrty; 03-13-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Read the threads ... already a ton of discussion on this.

What are your needs for a programmer? This will make all the difference to the answer you seek.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Rock God

I have Hypertech and really not sure what to say,Ill sell you mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
JKO Addict!

just wait for superchips... in about ohh 4 weeks... so they say
post #5 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

[QUOTE=bfj aka tambil;95227]Read the threads ... already a ton of discussion on this.

Looked for threads and could not find. I know they are there cuz I've read them so...

As for what kind of programming? Tires, gears, lift etc
post #6 of 18 Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy X View Post
I have Hypertech and really not sure what to say,Ill sell you mine.

Whats wrong with it?
post #7 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

I just got the AEV ProCal last week, works great!
Its fast too! Set the dip switches, plug it in, a second later its done!

Programed in My 35" tires and 4.88 gears to fix the speedo and tranny shift points.
When I got aftermarket wheels I didnt transfer the TPMS valve stems to them so I had the annoying idiot lite and chime going off every time I started it up.
I used the ProCal to shut the TPMS off. No more lite or chime!!!
You can also just lower the PSI that it goes off at if You want. You dont have to shut it off.

You can do a bunch of other things with it too. Worth every penny IMO.

Last edited by Matt; 03-14-2009 at 07:13 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Rock God

[QUOTE=O2BDrty;95290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Read the threads ... already a ton of discussion on this.

Looked for threads and could not find. I know they are there cuz I've read them so...

As for what kind of programming? Tires, gears, lift etc

I am too lazy to find the link...lol

If that is your reason for a programmer.. get the AEV
It is cheaper and will do this for you.

If you had mentioned READ codes or performance, then I would highly recommend the Hypertech.

They serve two different functions, but they do have overlapping qualities. They are both very good at what they do, but the Hypertech reprograms for performance, and shows you the fault codes, while the AEV is simple, does NOT reprogram anything, just sets your options as you desire.

FWIW, I have had and used both. So it's experience not web-experience.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just found out that neither one supports 5:38 gears. Is this something you can download to configure your computer or no?
post #10 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
Just found out that neither one supports 5:38 gears. Is this something you can download to configure your computer or no?
I just went out and checked for Ya......
The Quick Refrence Guide that You use to set the dip switches on the ProCal lists 5.38's and 5.64's.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I just went out and checked for Ya......
The Quick Refrence Guide that You use to set the dip switches on the ProCal lists 5.38's and 5.64's.
Matt,
Hey it's Jon...

Did you notice any significant improvement in shifting? My auto gets a little retarded sometimes with 5.13's and 37's.
I was going to get the Hypertech, but have never gotten a positive review from anyone using it. They all say "I think it shifts better". "I think" I won't pay $379 for something that does not provide a significant improvement in shifting. That's the only thing I would really be looking for. I guess the speedo correction would be good too...
post #12 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Setting the gear and tire size to the correct numbers will allow the computer to make accurate shift points.
Neither will ALTER the shift table.
Hypertech is a great tool, if you understand what it does. It reprograms the engine tables for better performance, and allows you to set your gear tire options.
AEV, another excellent tool, allows you to set your gear tire options, along with few others handy features, like tpms, and DRL's.
The AEV does support 5.38 gears, but I have sold my Hypertech (due to supercharging) and can not confirm if it supports this ratio.

An often overlooked portion of the tire setting is that people DON"T read and try to set the tire size according to the sidewall. This is NOT correct, and you must measure the size of the tire by doing a rolling measurement and divide by pi. eg. my BFG KM2's are 37's but at my psi, doing the rolling measurement, the correct size is 35.5" This fact is all over the forum, but often overlooked. Then you get people unhappy because the programmers are not working.... when really they have used bad info for the input.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #13 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Jon,
It seems to shift better now than it did before I programed the tire size and gear ratio. I dont have any issues with driving it anymore, it holds in OD better than it did before. But a HEMI or super charger would still be nice!

Yup, make sure You actually measure Your tire! I dont know about the Hypertech, but the AEV ProCal lets You enter the tire size down to the nearest .250".

I was sad to see that My 35's measure 33.75"
post #14 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
Setting the gear and tire size to the correct numbers will allow the computer to make accurate shift points.
Neither will ALTER the shift table.
Hypertech is a great tool, if you understand what it does. It reprograms the engine tables for better performance, and allows you to set your gear tire options.
AEV, another excellent tool, allows you to set your gear tire options, along with few others handy features, like tpms, and DRL's.
The AEV does support 5.38 gears, but I have sold my Hypertech (due to supercharging) and can not confirm if it supports this ratio.

An often overlooked portion of the tire setting is that people DON"T read and try to set the tire size according to the sidewall. This is NOT correct, and you must measure the size of the tire by doing a rolling measurement and divide by pi. eg. my BFG KM2's are 37's but at my psi, doing the rolling measurement, the correct size is 35.5" This fact is all over the forum, but often overlooked. Then you get people unhappy because the programmers are not working.... when really they have used bad info for the input.
Why did you sell your Hypertech based on Supercharging? Since it basically does the same as the AEV, plus a few things (that obviously aren't of any use once you SC), but did you recoup enough money to pay for another unit? I didn't plan on selling my Hypertech and just figured I'd have something that was overkill once the supercharger goes in. On a related note, which SC and how do you like it? Feel free to PM me so as not to hijack.

Keeping it on topic, I like the Hypertech, but I bought it before the AEV unit was available. I'm not sure that the price difference makes it worth it. And if I were buying a programmer now I might just go with the AEV and save the money for something else. Would be interesting to compare them head to head though.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Rock God

hey sahara... sent a pm.

As for a head to head comparison, thats like apples to oranges. They are both fruit but not the same.
Again the Hypertech is mainly designed around performance programming,
Additionally allowing you to READ codes, clear codes, and set tire/ gears
(yes Hypertech allows the tires to be set to the .250")
The AEV unit allows quick and easy setting of user options.
Tires/ gears/ tpms/ drl
has two run time functions to allow easier setting of steering wheel center, and temporary increase of engine idle speed for winching etc.
AEV does NOT program for anything. and does NOT allow reading codes just clearing them.

edit: forgot to mention in the pm. The standard Hypertech setting is for standard fuel but still a performance re-write of the stock parameter tables.. The performance setting is for premium and even more tuned performance programming.

I needed bone stock ECU for the supercharger "blackbox" So the AEV allowed me to set the user optional stuff, without reprogramming the ECU at all. Hope this helps shed light on the fact the two are NOT the same tool at all.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD

Last edited by bfj aka tambil; 03-15-2009 at 07:01 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITESTURJUNK View Post
Matt,
Hey it's Jon...

Did you notice any significant improvement in shifting? My auto gets a little retarded sometimes with 5.13's and 37's.
I was going to get the Hypertech, but have never gotten a positive review from anyone using it. They all say "I think it shifts better". "I think" I won't pay $379 for something that does not provide a significant improvement in shifting. That's the only thing I would really be looking for. I guess the speedo correction would be good too...
I use the hypertech programmer. I have a rubi-unlimited with 5:13s and 37s. I have it set for the premium fuel setting and I'm getting a significant increase in power. At least it gets out of its own way now. It's not perfect. I still shift out of overdrive on long hill climbs and I don't tow anything with it. Don't expect alot of performance. For that go with a supercharger or hemi. I'm happy with it for now. Don't know how the AEV programmer performs. Seems most guys are excited about the tpms control.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'll be going with the superchips model. It has alot of what I'm looking for.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Granite Guru

Well, at some point next week my AEV procal should arrive and I should be able to chime in on whether i feel the Hypertech tuned the JKs engine to make a difference. At least for a couple days before my JK finally gets to go into the shop. Thanks bfj for the heads up on using the procal vs the hypertech for a supercharged engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode