What should I do! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

What should I do!

Ok Ok so I've been looking at lift threads all day and I cant figure out what to do. Let me lay out what I'm thinking and I'd love to hear what you guys think because I have never lifted a jeep before. I have a 09 x 2 door with 3.73 gearing and an auto tranny. I found a place that will install a 3" revtek lift kit for $1000. If I go that rout I have some 35 12.5 17's that I can put on either my stock rims. Or I could buy some cheap aftermakets. The preblems I think I'll have are the 3.73 gears that I dont want to pay to switch out, and with a 3" lift and 35's that might be a little more aggressive than I really want to go. I put my 2yo daughter in the back afterall! The other thing I was considering is doing a smaller lift like a 2" and putting 33's on my stock rims. Thats what I wanted to do originaly but it just seems dumb to spend more money for a smaller lift since I already have the 35's. The last option that I dont know if it will work or not is not lift and just put 33's with wheel spacers on my stock rims. I would love if that could work because I like the widerstance look anyway but I'm not sure if you can use wheel spacers with stock wheels and not sure if 33's would rub with no lift. What I'm really looking for is a good dualpurpose lift and tire combo. So I can drive to and from work during the week but hit the trails on the weekend. Any advice would be appriciated.

Last edited by ryland; 03-12-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

If anyone is running 33's on stock rims with spacers and no lift I'd love to see a pic! If thats even possible!
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to srbaker2 Send a message via MSN to srbaker2 Send a message via Yahoo to srbaker2

I ran 33X11.5 with out a lift and no spacer on stock rims for awhile barely rubbed when I was turning as sharp as it would go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Rock God

If you have an auto, 3.73. 33's is pushing the limit. You will need to Re Gear for 35's. Ive seen 33's with spacers and no lift and theres no rubbing issues unless you do some extreme articulation(flex).

I know you can do 35's with 3" or 2.5". It all depends on what kind of wheeling you do. And as you said you allready have the 35's.

If you decide to do 33's let me know how much do you want for the 35's.

JKOutcast Member
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 AM

i had an '07 2 door X with the 3.73 gears and 35/12.50R17's, it was my daily driver and i loved it. it did fine for over 20k miles untill i traded it in om my 4 door rubicon. the tires did make a difference in power obviously, but had enough to drive the speed limit wherever i went, even up I-70 through the rockies. all i had was a 2.5" coil lift that i made myself here at my shop and i put the proper backspacing wheels on it.

sorry i thaught i had some pics but i dont know where they are.

seth>>>
post #6 of 8 Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZY AZ HELL View Post
i had an '07 2 door X with the 3.73 gears and 35/12.50R17's, it was my daily driver and i loved it. it did fine for over 20k miles untill i traded it in om my 4 door rubicon. the tires did make a difference in power obviously, but had enough to drive the speed limit wherever i went, even up I-70 through the rockies. all i had was a 2.5" coil lift that i made myself here at my shop and i put the proper backspacing wheels on it.

sorry i thaught i had some pics but i dont know where they are.

seth>>>
Did you have an auto? That would be great if I could do that, even for just a little while so my wife wouldent kill me for spending all sorts of money at once! Would the 35's work on the stock rims? I have the 17's I think the width might be a problem because there 7.5". Also not to further complicate it but will 35's fit on my stock tire carrier? It does just maybe seem like too many things to do to get to 35's. I might just go down to the tire shop have them throw 33's on my stock rims, drive with them a while and if they rub just get a lift put on it, although a 3" lift (the onlyone I can find to be installed localy on 2 door) might be a little to much for 33's but it should look ok.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryland View Post
Did you have an auto? That would be great if I could do that, even for just a little while so my wife wouldent kill me for spending all sorts of money at once! Would the 35's work on the stock rims? I have the 17's I think the width might be a problem because there 7.5". Also not to further complicate it but will 35's fit on my stock tire carrier? It does just maybe seem like too many things to do to get to 35's. I might just go down to the tire shop have them throw 33's on my stock rims, drive with them a while and if they rub just get a lift put on it, although a 3" lift (the onlyone I can find to be installed localy on 2 door) might be a little to much for 33's but it should look ok.
sorry, i had a 6 speed manual i didnt see that you had an auto tranny, like others have said, i wouldnt push the limits of that tranny. 35's will rub on stock rims without spacers or the correct offset wheels 4.5' is what i had. and 35's will go on the stock tire carrier without any problems and the 3rd brake light is still visible. although the tire is pretty heavy i wouldnt leave it on there for the life of the jeep because the tailgate hinges will become looser and looser over time. hope this helps........

seth>>>
post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

I run 35's on 3.73 gearing and an auto.

It aint great, but it aint the end of the world either. My only beef? I have to be in 4lo when in rocks, even if they're little.

As I showed n2rock the other day, your computer will re-calibrate your shift points after a few thousand miles. I can redline mine w/ the gas only about halfway down now =)

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode