MetalCloak Suspension Build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1084 Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
MetalCloak Suspension Build

I have decided to try out the MetalCloak suspension since I have had great experience with MetalCloak in the past and I feel that I have outgrown my 2.5 Teraflex lift. I will be piecing the kit together as I can afford it. I will be ordering their 3.5 dual rate springs, adjustable front bumpstops, and brake lines tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted on how this set up works out for me. Eventually I will have their complete suspension set up with their six pack shocks.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1084 Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Nice. Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Are you getting their control arms as well?
post #3 of 1084 Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Nice. Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Are you getting their control arms as well?
I will eventually get them, I'm curious how their joints are gonna perform. I havent seen a MetalCloak build yet but Im sure I will be happy.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Looking forward to the results/updates.

Greg
post #5 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have been checking out their control arms myself. I am gonna try the front lowers.
Looks like they put a lot of thought into them.

You smell that?
post #6 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

PhrogMech46

Thank you for considering our new suspension. I am one of the engineers at MetalCloak and I would just like to ask you some questions before you buy components. Our system will give you the best combination of comfort ride, crazy flex and at speed handling of any manufacturers system and I look forward to proving it to you (not just saying it!). But every part of the system contributes to the performance, therefore to get all of the benefits you need the entire system.

If you plan to buy the system in components there is an order in which to buy the components that will give you the most performance improvements early in the build process. This order is based on what components you already have on your JK. I would like to help if you would allow.

Does your Teraflex 2.5" lift use your stock control arms or Teraflex Control arms?

Do you have aftermarket fenders? If so which.

What size tires are you running? or do you plan to run?

I realize some of this information might be in your build description but I just want to make sure.

Last edited by jeepineer; 03-09-2012 at 08:22 AM.
post #7 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepineer View Post
PhrogMech46

Thank you for considering our new suspension. I am one of the engineers at MetalCloak and I would just like to ask you some questions before you buy components. Our system will give you the best combination of comfort ride, crazy flex and at speed handling of any manufacturers system and I look forward to proving it to you (not just saying it!). But every part of the system contributes to the performance, therefore to get all of the benefits you need the entire system.

If you plan to buy the system in components there is an order in which to buy the components that will give you the most performance improvements early in the build process. This order is based on what components you already have on your JK. I would like to help if you would allow.

Does your Teraflex 2.5" lift use your stock control arms or Teraflex Control arms?

Do you have aftermarket fenders? If so which.

What size tires are you running? or do you plan to run?

I realize some of this information might be in your build description but I just want to make sure.
Thanks for posting up! I had a lengthy conversation with Matson yesterday addressing some of the same concerns.

1.I have upper and lower front adjustable Rockkrawler arms.
2.I am currently running factory modded fenders for now.
3.I am running 37's but I may go up no bigger than 40's.

See Garage for Mods
post #8 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Been there done that

Hey guys,
I just figured I would throw this out there being I started similar. First off building on a budget sucks. LOL I started with MetalCloak's suspension system, minus their control arms. I was already running Teraflex's adjustable flex arms so I didn't see a need to upgrade those. I installed their kit in my garage 6-packs and all then headed up to their shop to see what it did on the CTI. When I showed up at the shop we put it on their CTI ramps, we could see my arms joints pushing against the control arm mounts. Then they asked me to take them for a ride, at this point they suggested I install their control arms, I didn't believe it was gonna make much of a difference, but I went for it. We got them installed and went for a ride and to my absolute amazement the jeep rode much smoother. Then we took it back to the CTI and I gained 40 points. I took the jeep home, did some more clearancing and now it is scoring a 920 on the CTI. I have owned other JK's 2 had long arm kits and two set up with short arms. This jeep out flexes all of them and rides as well, if not better than my 4 doors did. I can't say enough about their kit. I suggest talking to MetalCloak about how to piece it together to get the most out of the parts you already have. Here are a couple of pics of my rig in action.

Jeremiah
post #9 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
JKowners Vendor

You won't be dissapointed, our JKU rides awesome and flexes like crazy. I find the Metalcloak suspension is a system, it is apparant they spent time engineering each componant to work with each other.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #10 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

So I listened to your guys advice and went with their upper and lower front arms as well. I will install their springs first with my current rk arms and then with their arms in order to compare the ride differences. I will report back once I receive and install the new parts. Once I sell my old stuff I will complete the lift.

See Garage for Mods
post #11 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are any of you guys running their shocks?

See Garage for Mods
post #12 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would like to see some actual pics of the control arms. Not computer models.
And will they work with 4.5 lift, warranty, etc..
I am intrigued by these and really looking for arms.

You smell that?
post #13 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenbelly View Post
I would like to see some actual pics of the control arms. Not computer models.
And will they work with 4.5 lift, warranty, etc..
I am intrigued by these and really looking for arms.
I got the chance to see them at TDS and they look pretty stout. When I spoke with Matson from MetalCloak today he expressed his concern that I would not feel the true awesomeness of his suspension using my current arms. I only have the RK front arms so I figured what the heck I might as well switch them out for the MetalCloak arms. When I get the parts from Metalcloak I will post pics of the arms uninstalled as well as installed.

See Garage for Mods
post #14 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Rock God

I think I know what all the control arm hoopla is all about, but I have yet to see it posted. Besides, I am shy and do not want to go out on a limb here.

I would like to understand the engineering principles involved that create the extraordinary on road ride characteristics that are associated with changing control arms, specifically, removing TeraFlex and installing Metal Cloak (as claimed above).

The is Modified Tech and I am dying for some. After all, Metal Cloak doesn't get to the top of MT very often, so someone smart should get to the meat of this system, and specifically, why would anybody choose one.
post #15 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I know what all the control arm hoopla is all about, but I have yet to see it posted. Besides, I am shy and do not want to go out on a limb here.

I would like to understand the engineering principles involved that create the extraordinary on road ride characteristics that are associated with changing control arms, specifically, removing TeraFlex and installing Metal Cloak (as claimed above).

The is Modified Tech and I am dying for some. After all, Metal Cloak doesn't get to the top of MT very often, so someone smart should get to the meat of this system, and specifically, why would anybody choose one.
I dont want to speak for Metalcloak but when speaking to them today it seemed that their rod ends make all the difference in ride quality according to them. They were gonna send me their rod ends to put on my RK arms but I opted just to use theirs and sell my RK arms to fund the rear arms.

See Garage for Mods
post #16 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
V8 dreams

interested in your opinion on the difference between the two companies arms...sub'd

2010 Silver JKU
post #17 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
interested in your opinion on the difference between the two companies arms...sub'd
Yea i'm really curious as well and there isnt a whole lot of real world info on this system. I've ran their armor on my 2 door and was really happy with the quality and customer service. They brought my armor and fenders out to TDS last year so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping!

See Garage for Mods
post #18 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 08:22 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
Yea i'm really curious as well and there isnt a whole lot of real world info on this system. I've ran their armor on my 2 door and was really happy with the quality and customer service. They brought my armor and fenders out to TDS last year so I wouldnt have to pay for shipping!
they seem like a really good, well thought out product. kudos to you for givin em a shot.

2010 Silver JKU
post #19 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

I thought I posted earlier today....before your discussion with Matson. But it did not post for some reason so I am rewriting it now.

1) Install MC front control arms. Keep your rear stock control arms.

2) Brakelines if you need them, you will definately need them for the 6 Pak shocks. Adjustable bump stop is good to buy at this time because you will adjust them through out this process.

3) Coil Springs next but remember, if you don't have aftermarket bumpers or armor the lift will actually be about 4.5". You will need to adjust your track bars after the new Coils (recenter axles after you drive it around the block a few times). The free length of the coils will seem very long but they are in prep for the 6 Pak Shocks. If you don't already have a relocation bracket for the rear track bar you will experience a little bump steer.

4) You will need to buy the 6 Pak shocks, sway bar links, sway bar bracket and and brakes lines at the same time. No choice.

5) Next...Track bars front and rear to improve up travel

6) Rear Control Arms next to improve flex but maintain stock ride quality.

7) Finally Hi Clearance fenders or you will be wasting up travel with your bump stops.

I hope this information is helpful. Remember if you are not completely happy with our stuff just say so and we will give you a full refund. We very confident with the quality of this system.

Thank you

Last edited by jeepineer; 03-11-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: bad wording
post #20 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:

For comparison's sake here's an RK 2.5 Max Travel on 37s. The shocks are 4-6" Fox 2.0s and I was running RK lowers and stock uppers in this picture.

No, I don't have CTI numbers on mine, but if we are posting in the field photos I think this is a decent comparison. I want to know as much as the rest of these guys what makes your arms ride, flex, and operate so much better than what we are running.

post #21 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
For comparison's sake here's an RK 2.5 Max Travel on 37s. The shocks are 4-6" Fox 2.0s and I was running RK lowers and stock uppers in this picture.

No, I don't have CTI numbers on mine, but if we are posting in the field photos I think this is a decent comparison. I want to know as much as the rest of these guys what makes your arms ride, flex, and operate so much better than what we are running.
Thats what Im trying to find out. They make some bold statements about their products that I hope I will agree with after all is said and done. But I guess you cant go wrong with a money back guarantee

See Garage for Mods
post #22 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Rock God

Does the MC kit allow for the rear axle to be pushed back for better handling like other kits do?
Subscribed...
post #23 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
JKowners Vendor

We have a video that is almost done coming out next week regarding the control arms and why they do what they do.....right Matson!?!?
post #24 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanralston07 View Post
Does the MC kit allow for the rear axle to be pushed back for better handling like other kits do?
Subscribed...
I asked them about this today and the answer was yes. They said the arms come "preset" to a length that will center the tires in the wheel well.

See Garage for Mods
post #25 of 1084 Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanralston07 View Post
Subscribed...
We move the back axle back 5/8" with our control arms so that it centers on a trimmed wheel well. That is about all you can do before the rear coils start to hit the track bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode