Question to AEV Hemi owners & exhaust gurus!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to Rafic
Angry Question to AEV Hemi owners & exhaust gurus!!

I've been experiencing a loud "ticking-clicking" sound on startup (cold startup/after the jeep has cooled down). It lasts about 5-10min, then when everything is warm, it goes away. I had the jeep under the knife today tidying up some random stuff. We decided to let the jeep cool off for a 3 or so hours. We jacked it up and tightened everything up. We imagined it could be an exhaust leak coming from either the headers/gasket (new gasket even) area or the exhaust joints and fittings. To our surprise, the jeep ticked away. We went under it and tracked down the sound inch by inch until we found the culprit. It was the 700 miles old AEV catalytic converters I mean they are ticking-clicking so so bad it makes you think there's something seriously wrong with the Jeep. Both the left and right ones are ticking. When they warm up, it goes away. They are brand new with only 700 miles on them, could they be defective?? Or is it normal for them to tick until they are broken in?? I dont want to end up with honeycomb parts blocking my exhaust! Can you guys chime in, especially the ones that used AEV's Hemi kit, did you guys experience this?? Thx!

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bump!

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Rock God

I have the kit, but not the tick you mention so I can't help. Could it be just the metal expanding as it warms up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

Mine doesn't have anything like what you describe. But yes it could be contraction / expansion of the metal? Especially if you have a fully welded system.

Are your exhaust hangers the rubber ones, or maybe do you have more rigid style ones?

Are you absolutely sure of the source of the sound? I mean maybe that the sounds is resonating somewhere that it is not sourced from.

Lifter tick when cold could be described like what you have said. I have that in my pickup truck (180k miles) if I don't use Rislone in the oil changes.

07 Rubicon Unlimited - Teraflex 3" prerunner lift, 35's, 5.7 Hemi using AEV kit, Teraflex CRD60 rear with 5:13 gears all around.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I do have rubber hangers and the system is not welded. I am sure its not metal expanding/contracting. Checked everything, lifters, gaskets, seals, etc. The clicking sound is def coming from the catalytic converters. My exhaust system is the one AEV provides with their Premium kit.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Go to a dodge forum like dodgetalk.com and do a search of "ticking sound"

There are like a hundred threads on that.

It's notorious on the hemi's. Sounds like a stuck lifter. Hell my 04 made that sound.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
Go to a dodge forum like dodgetalk.com and do a search of "ticking sound"

There are like a hundred threads on that.

It's notorious on the hemi's. Sounds like a stuck lifter. Hell my 04 made that sound.
Yes, but that was only certain years I thought. 04-06 I believe. And why only hearing at catalytic converter? If it is a lifter tick, oil additives with zinc and PFTE should take care of it, according to a local mechanic ( he says there is a TSB for this?)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM
JPK
Rock God

I have an AEV installed 5.7VVT in my JKU. No pronounced ticking in the 43k miles I've had it. The engine was installed summer of 2010.

The Chrysler engine isn't the quietest until it warms up. Nothing in particular with mine, just sounds like an engine that needs to warm up.

BTW, if your converters were disintegrating and clogging the exhaust, you'd know it through a loss of power, maybe a loss of mileage too. (Of course in the first year of ownership its hard as hell to keep your foot out of it so even mentioning mileage is a hoot. On the other hand, since you're into so often in the first year, you'd definitely notice the power loss.)

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 03-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode