Rotopax H2O inside mounts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rotopax H2O inside mounts?

Has anyone mounted their Rotopax containers inside their JK yet?

I carry Rotopax fuel on longer trips outside the JK. I do the same with water, but in the winter months, I don't like it out there. The containers get full of road salt/ mag chloride/ etc. Durring the Summer is gets full of dust, dirt, and heat up too much. I use the water containers all the time as my dog goes with me pretty much everywhere. So handling the containers daily and keeping them inside, clean, cool, safe from being messeed with is my goal here.

I have my powertank and Drake Fire extinguisher mount on one side of the rollbar in back.

I was thinking of making a flat plate and using the powertank clamps for the other side.

I'm leaning towards the rollbar mount since I am planning on putting a Tuffy security deck in the back or Truck Vault. I want as much cargo space on the floor as I can. I need to mount two of the 2 gallon stacked (not linked end to end).

thoughts? what do you think? maybe the inside of the tailgate would be easier to get at? although, i think interference from the storage solution I go with will be an issue.

2016 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Rock God

I don't have an Unlimited so I don't know if this will work, but what about running some rails from the soundbar back to the rear upper roll bar and have them above the rear seats?

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #3 of 54 Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I was just looking at doing this... I was looking at getting the rotopax mounting plate and riverting it inside my rear tailgate... havent found the time to do any measurements yet to see if this will work .

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I was just looking at doing this... I was looking at getting the rotopax mounting plate and riverting it inside my rear tailgate... havent found the time to do any measurements yet to see if this will work .
You could get an M-PAC tailgate rack and mount the rotopax mount to it like this also.

Ron
post #5 of 54 Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Wheeler

I spaced my bracket out with some poly to get it to clear the trim piece. I have the extender to carry my water and first aid inside and I can carry two fuel cans outside, four is the most I need right now...

post #6 of 54 Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocati View Post

I spaced my bracket out with some poly to get it to clear the trim piece. I have the extender to carry my water and first aid inside and I can carry two fuel cans outside, four is the most I need right now...

How are the cans outside attached?

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #7 of 54 Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
How are the cans outside attached?

post #8 of 54 Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Voodoocati,
wayyyy late to reply. sorry. Great looking rig and nice setup on the inside too. How did you bolt into the tailgate? Did you use a nutcert?

2016 JKU
post #9 of 54 Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

My rig (2012 JKUR) has a pair of white water RotoPax units mounted on one side, and a set that includes a black one for winch stuff along with an orange first-aid kit on the other side.

This setup occupies the space your PowerTank currently uses. I still haven't found a new permanent home for my 10# bottle.

The mount location is very handy -- it happily exists in the otherwise useless void created by the hardtop and roll cage. It scores big on usefulness for me.

Anyhow, the good people at Rebel Off Road welded in their custom brackets. To be safe, you need to remove your carpeting, hardtop, and roll cage cover.

Here's a low-res picture. I'll include a link to better ones, too.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0569993&type=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 54 Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Granite Guru

This is awesome.
I hope a distributor on the forum makes it easy for us to buy these from them by posting part numbers or links.
Hint hint.
post #11 of 54 Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

We are done with R&D on our weld in interior mounts, state's JK being the last install needed to confirm viability and fit/durability.

They will ship as raw, ready to weld in units. Why not bolt on? We tried several different variations, including locking collars with textured inner bezels. All rotated after severe bounces. We want a solution that requires zero periodic maintenance. Look for them to be on our site in the coming days.

State is a very, very discerning customer. If he is satisfied, we are.
post #12 of 54 Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
Voodoocati,
wayyyy late to reply. sorry. Great looking rig and nice setup on the inside too. How did you bolt into the tailgate? Did you use a nutcert?
Also curious
post #13 of 54 Old 05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

Additional in-progress shots...

Here are a couple more shots that show all four of the RotoPax units in place while the top is off. The lower shot shows the bracket welded into place:
Attached Images

post #14 of 54 Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Nice job rebel... what's the additional weight? Seems like it would be better to get them as low as possible.
post #15 of 54 Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Subscribed, look forward to your release Rebel.
post #16 of 54 Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

thanks for the pics/ posts guys. great ideas.
...keep 'em coming.

2016 JKU
post #17 of 54 Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
We are done with R&D on our weld in interior mounts, state's JK being the last install needed to confirm viability and fit/durability.

They will ship as raw, ready to weld in units. Why not bolt on? We tried several different variations, including locking collars with textured inner bezels. All rotated after severe bounces. We want a solution that requires zero periodic maintenance. Look for them to be on our site in the coming days.
They look good on the Unlimited. Have you all test fitted them to see if they will work on a 2 door also? I like the idea of having the water inside, especially for wheeling up here in AK where water outside would freeze solid in minutes during the winter.

Ron
post #18 of 54 Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by state View Post
Here are a couple more shots that show all four of the RotoPax units in place while the top is off. The lower shot shows the bracket welded into place:
How does this work with the soft top? Looks like you would have to remove the tanks to get the top up and down... just wondering about the bracket? Does it interfere with the soft top bracket?

Thanks

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #19 of 54 Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

The welded mounts seem very durable. Full containers happily bounce down high-speed dirt roads that have my suspension on its Speed Bumps without issue. I'm confident they are plenty tough.

My pair of full water containers, bracket, and containers themselves weigh in around 35 pounds (includes four gallons of water). The brackets are tough enough to sustain more than 1000 pounds of impact load. As Rebel Off Road pointed out, no bolt-on solution will work in such a tough application.

The other pair are quite a bit lighter. I'd say it's close to 12 pounds.

post #20 of 54 Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Wheeler

Here's what I did.
Attached Images

2010JKU rubicon, 4'' lift, Currie arms, Synergy ball joints, gussets, and sleeves,Currie high steer and track bar, 40" Procomp MT2 tires, Pro Comp wheels, 5:13 gears, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tom Woods shaft, Warn Powerplant front, Warn VR8000 rear. Masterpull synthetic lines
post #21 of 54 Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
JKowners Vendor

Send a message via AIM to njjeepthing Send a message via Yahoo to njjeepthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVacs View Post
Here's what I did.
What are they mounted to?

FOR RENT
post #22 of 54 Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Rock God

very nice! We need more info. I hate that space made by the sub. I usually keep my viair compressor in there on top of my hilift base. Some rotopax and a nice fire extinguisher mount would be even better! Give us the goods JoeVacs...
post #23 of 54 Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Wheeler

I bolted a piece of steel ( 1/4 " x 6'' x 18" ) to the bulkhead behind the sub. On the forward end, it sticks out in the air where the fender slopes off behind the seat. The Roto-Pax bracket is bolted to it

2010JKU rubicon, 4'' lift, Currie arms, Synergy ball joints, gussets, and sleeves,Currie high steer and track bar, 40" Procomp MT2 tires, Pro Comp wheels, 5:13 gears, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Tom Woods shaft, Warn Powerplant front, Warn VR8000 rear. Masterpull synthetic lines
post #24 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepchic55 View Post
Also curious
I answered in IM, sorry. Went like this...

If you are running a single mount, in the center of the tailgate, the center of the tailgate has the vent on the outside. With the vent removed, you have perfect access to the rear of the bolts.
post #25 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocati View Post
I answered in IM, sorry. Went like this...

If you are running a single mount, in the center of the tailgate, the center of the tailgate has the vent on the outside. With the vent removed, you have perfect access to the rear of the bolts.
Do you think that location is strong enough to support a Rotopax filled with water? What about 2 of them stacked? Since there is access to the back of the panel with the vent removed perhaps adding a steel plate on the backside would strengthen it enough to hold the weight? That is a great location for water for the dog while on trips.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode