6 Lug vs 8 Lug Wheels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

6 Lug vs 8 Lug Wheels

So, I was going to build a set of F350 axles (D60/S10.5) for the Jeep. However, I have come across a pretty smokin' deal on some custome Dynatrac D60's that I'll just need to regear to 5.38's. However, the Dynatrac's are both a 6 lug pattern. These are Superior axles.

I'm wondering how much stronger the 8 lugs would be. Should I also factor in a swap to 8 lugs as well as getting the tone rings onto them? This isn't going to be even REMOTELY cheap, so I'd just like to have some idea of what additional things I'll need to factor in. (Suspension isn't a factor, as I already have that covered.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now a days its easy to change hubs, unit bearing etc... Theres a bunch of vendor on pirate... and to my understanding the center bore of a 6X 5.5 or 8 lug are the same... otherwise there would be some disclaimer in these individual vendor sites..

soild
Spidertrax
Tech tim - Pirate vendor

These are the ones that come to mind!

Especially a Super 14

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
JKO Addict!

in our applications there is not a world of difference between a 6 and 8 lug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Slow and Low

Were these 6-luggers under a GM or Toyota vehicle? If so, double check the drop and offset on the front diff to make sure the driveshaft clears your tranny.

Most often, 8-lugs are full floaters while many 6-luggers(Toyota, Chevy) are semi-float. I'm assuming the 6-luggers you are referring to are semi-float. So the strength difference between a 6-lug semi-float and an 8-lug full-float Sterling is pretty huge.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Were these 6-luggers under a GM or Toyota vehicle? If so, double check the drop and offset on the front diff to make sure the driveshaft clears your tranny.

Most often, 8-lugs are full floaters while many 6-luggers(Toyota, Chevy) are semi-float. I'm assuming the 6-luggers you are referring to are semi-float. So the strength difference between a 6-lug semi-float and an 8-lug full-float Sterling is pretty huge.
I am under the assumption of them both being full float as they are Dynatrack 60's

Both being the same (semi/full/same spline) the number of lugs would make it no more "stronger".
And as Co4Lo said, I would be more worried about fit.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Actually, they were under a buggy. I don't believe the rear is a a FF, but I could be wrong. I've only seen images, as they are in Colorado. Co4Lo, you might know these axles. You're both in in Colorado Springs. I know it's a big place, but, from all I've seen, the off road community is pretty small. Especially the serious off road community. Sending you a PM to see if you know anything about these.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

What offset should I be looking for on the front end? I'm not anywhere I can measure my Jeep's, right now, and it's getting down to the wire on these Dynatracs!
post #8 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
What offset should I be looking for on the front end? I'm not anywhere I can measure my Jeep's, right now, and it's getting down to the wire on these Dynatracs!
Sorry, got your PM but haven't had time to go measure. I would think that the Dynatrac driver-drop offset should be fine for your JK.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Sorry, got your PM but haven't had time to go measure. I would think that the Dynatrac driver-drop offset should be fine for your JK.
I sure as Hell hope so, because I had him load them in his race trailer, and he's hauling them 650 miles to me! I'll have them on Saturday.

I'm all kinds of giddy over these beasts. They're a LITTLE narrow, 66.5", but I'm planning on only running 3.25" or maybe even 3.00" back-spacing, so I think it'll work out.

I really appreciate your help, Co4Lo, Omar and Doc!

-M

Last edited by Wiggles; 02-29-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
I sure as Hell hope so, because I had him load them in his race trailer, and he's hauling them 650 miles to me! I'll have them on Saturday.

I'm all kinds of giddy over these beasts. They're a LITTLE narrow, 66.5", but I'm planning on only running 3.25" or maybe even 3.00" back-spacing, so I think it'll work out.

I really appreciate your help, Co4Lo, Omar and Doc!

-M
install fiesta!

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Slow and Low

Congrats! I look forward to the build.
Yeah, just run a 3" BS wheel and you Should be good to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode