JKOwners Forum banner

6 Lug vs 8 Lug Wheels

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Co4Lo 
#1 ·
So, I was going to build a set of F350 axles (D60/S10.5) for the Jeep. However, I have come across a pretty smokin' deal on some custome Dynatrac D60's that I'll just need to regear to 5.38's. However, the Dynatrac's are both a 6 lug pattern. These are Superior axles.

I'm wondering how much stronger the 8 lugs would be. Should I also factor in a swap to 8 lugs as well as getting the tone rings onto them? This isn't going to be even REMOTELY cheap, so I'd just like to have some idea of what additional things I'll need to factor in. (Suspension isn't a factor, as I already have that covered.)

#2 ·
Now a days its easy to change hubs, unit bearing etc... Theres a bunch of vendor on pirate... and to my understanding the center bore of a 6X 5.5 or 8 lug are the same... otherwise there would be some disclaimer in these individual vendor sites..

soild
Spidertrax
Tech tim - Pirate vendor

These are the ones that come to mind!

Especially a Super 14 :koolaid:

#4 ·
Were these 6-luggers under a GM or Toyota vehicle? If so, double check the drop and offset on the front diff to make sure the driveshaft clears your tranny.

Most often, 8-lugs are full floaters while many 6-luggers(Toyota, Chevy) are semi-float. I'm assuming the 6-luggers you are referring to are semi-float. So the strength difference between a 6-lug semi-float and an 8-lug full-float Sterling is pretty huge.

#6 ·
Actually, they were under a buggy. I don't believe the rear is a a FF, but I could be wrong. I've only seen images, as they are in Colorado. Co4Lo, you might know these axles. You're both in in Colorado Springs. I know it's a big place, but, from all I've seen, the off road community is pretty small. Especially the serious off road community. Sending you a PM to see if you know anything about these.

#7 ·
What offset should I be looking for on the front end? I'm not anywhere I can measure my Jeep's, right now, and it's getting down to the wire on these Dynatracs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.