Pitbull Rocker (Radial) Tread Life? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Pitbull Rocker (Radial) Tread Life?

Alright, so I'll be buying some 37s in the near future for my 2dr. Just curious how many miles you guys are seeing out of the Pitbull Rocker Radials. I've kind of been looking at the KM2's as I can get a pretty good deal on them through my work, but someone brought the Rockers to my attention so now I'm curious. They look like a better tire off road with pretty decent street manners for a MT, but tire life is a concern for me as i DD my Jeep. I probably put 10k a year or so on my jeep maybe a little more so I'd like it to last a couple years at least. I'm open to suggestions for other tires too but I definitely want an MT, good tire life and puncture resistance is a must, and primary use is in Rocks, Sand, Dirt and on the street of course (only see snow occasionally when I decide to go on a snow run in the winter so its not as big of a deal).

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got about 3-4k on mine and I can't see any noticeable wear. You'll get at least 20k out of them, I'm sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #3 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
I've got about 3-4k on mine and I can't see any noticeable wear. You'll get at least 20k out of them, I'm sure.
Well thats good. I would hope to get more than 20k out of them though. I can't justify going with them if they get half the life of the KM2's and will cost me more. I could afford to replace a KM2 if i punctured it or whatever at that point so id need to see like maybe 40k out of them to make it worth it I'm thinking.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Rock God

While I cannot comment on mileage for the rockers I can comment on their performance. OUTSTANDING! They are a bit loud at highway speeds as most aggresive tread tires are. Their performance in mud, rock, wet rock, and wet roads has been great.
post #5 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall View Post
While I cannot comment on mileage for the rockers I can comment on their performance. OUTSTANDING! They are a bit loud at highway speeds as most aggresive tread tires are. Their performance in mud, rock, wet rock, and wet roads has been great.
Thats awesome! Thats exactly what I'm looking for out of a tire! If I could get 40 k out of a set I'm sold!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

You won't get 40k out of km2s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #7 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
You won't get 40k out of km2s

Really? I could swear I've heard ppl getting ~40k out of them.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Really? I could swear I've heard ppl getting ~40k out of them.
I have exactly 42,221 miles on my km2s right now and I'm rough on my jk. You will probably get closer to 50k... Dunno what he's talkin bout.

I'm lookin at PBR's too so ill be watching this thread. I can post pics of my tread wear if need be.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.

Last edited by militaryman4455; 02-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
post #9 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post
I have exactly 42,221 miles on my km2s right now and I'm rough on my jk. You will probably get closer to 50k... Dunno what he's talkin bout.

I'm lookin at PBR's too so ill be watching this thread. I can post pics of my tread wear if need be.
Thats what I thought. Id expect about 40k maybe more out of KM2's obviously depends on how you drive and all that too. I just really like the looks of the Rockers, and they seem to be a very well rounded MT as far as being capable in rocks, good with wet weather, good in sand, very tough, etc. I just haven't found much of anything on their wear life. I don't think I'd be disappointed with KM2's honestly and since I can get a good deal on them it might still be worth it to go that route, but if the Rockers have a good life span I might just say eff it and spring for them.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM
'merica

30,000 plus on my km2s maybe another 10,000 if Im lucky. Ive been pretty hard on them also

U.S. Army

KJ6OIT
post #11 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I got 60,000 on my KM2's 37"
Just replaced due to bad shocks making them choppy...
Replaced with Kevlar 42x14.5 I liked the KM2's better.,

ONLY my PERSONAL experience

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #12 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I probably put 10k a year or so on my jeep maybe a little more so I'd like it to last a couple years at least.
Quote:
Well thats good. I would hope to get more than 20k out of them though.

...so id need to see like maybe 40k out of them to make it worth it I'm thinking.
Call me crazy, but I saw you asking for 10k/year for a "couple years" and figured you wanted 20k minimum.

Then, you said you wanted 40k out of them. I dunno....

I can see you gettin' 40k out of them probably, but I said 20k 'cause it seemed to fit your initial requirements.

Quote:

post #13 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I saw you asking for 10k/year for a "couple years" and figured you wanted 20k minimum.

Then, you said you wanted 40k out of them. I dunno....

I can see you gettin' 40k out of them probably, but I said 20k 'cause it seemed to fit your initial requirements.
I apologize, i did say a couple of years. I meant more like a few years so like 3-4. And 10k a year is just approximate and may even be a little more than that, but essentially if I could get 40k out of a set of MT's id be happy.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i can easily see getting 50K out of my KM2s. I think the 5 tire rotation has a lot to do with that.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #15 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Rockers are a harder compound then the km2s so they should last just as long if not longer

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #16 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Mileage wise everything depends on how much actual wheeling you do and what your wheeling in( mud, rocks, snow)

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #17 of 81 Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
Mileage wise everything depends on how much actual wheeling you do and what your wheeling in( mud, rocks, snow)

Thats true. I actually do a fair amount of wheeling too. During the school year so probably 7-8 months out of the year I go at least once a month sometimes more. But when I'm out of school its ends up being more like every other weekend or so lol. I my jeep probably sees about 35% or so of the total miles per year on wheeling trips, might even be more than that cause I actually use my Camry to commute back and fourth to school just so I'm not putting a shit ton of miles on the Jeep lol. But when I do wheel I'm in the dirt, sand and rocks more often than anything. Hardly ever see mud unless its crossing a puddle or stream on a trail, and snow is only maybe a couple times a year at best.

I'd hope the Rockers would last longer than the KM2's. That would be awesome. I'd like to get some numbers though too from ppl who have had them. Even like percentage of wear for a given amount of miles would give a good idea of what milage we could see out of them.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Last edited by Topgun863; 02-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.
post #18 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Tread life will be greatly affected by how well they are balanced, shock performance, and quality of steering dampening. Most wear is from these factors, so if you rotate often, or do a five tire rotation as mentioned above, you will maximize the life. Provided the rig your driving is in good repair.
post #19 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i wheel often too, but the KM2s are lasting a while. save for the chunks and all the slashes from the rocks the tread depth is holding up great.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #20 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dude, just get the 41's. Since the circumference of the tire is larger, they don't have to rotate as many times per mile so they'll last longer!

Quote:

post #21 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
Tread life will be greatly affected by how well they are balanced, shock performance, and quality of steering dampening. Most wear is from these factors, so if you rotate often, or do a five tire rotation as mentioned above, you will maximize the life. Provided the rig your driving is in good repair.
Thats true. We have a balancer at work so I can easily balance them when I change my oil so thats not too much of an issue. As for shocks, I just bought king coilovers for the front and remote resi's for the rear so they'll be going on sometime in the next couple weeks and my steering stabilizer is a Fox one so its pretty good too. I try to keep up on maintenance and rotate tires about every 4k-5k depending on how they're wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
i wheel often too, but the KM2s are lasting a while. save for the chunks and all the slashes from the rocks the tread depth is holding up great.
Thats good. Chunking and cuts are kind of expected when you play in the rocks so thats not a big deal as long as i'm not cutting sidewalls, which is one of my concerns with the KM2's, but the tread wear is my concern on the road. Thats why I'm trying to get some #'s on both the KM2's and more so the Rockers.

Quote:
Dude, just get the 41's. Since the circumference of the tire is larger, they don't have to rotate as many times per mile so they'll last longer!
LOL I think I'm good with 37's for now. I just spend a couple grand on my suspension getting set up for 37's...lol. 40's are going to have to wait until I can do a stretch (which is going to be a ways down the road) Gotta do a bunch more mods before that point. If all goes as planned I'd like to get an atlas 4 in it and either a Currie F9 or a D60 in the front before 40's, and before either of those are happening I'm finishing my lift by adding the long arms and also gotta do a rear bumper.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #22 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Granite Guru

how are km2's in the snow? I know there all season but if there's the thick slush snow on the road they handle ok?
post #23 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo216 View Post
how are km2's in the snow? I know there all season but if there's the thick slush snow on the road they handle ok?
I don't know from personal experience but I've heard KM2s are kind of crappy in the snow on the road (more so when its hard pack) because of their lack of sipping and the lateral tread, but supposedly

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #24 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Rock God

I have had my Rockers for over a year now, not sure exactly how many miles but Ive been to AR twice, Mississippi, OK and I DD it about 200 miles a week. I have been meaning to get a thread depth measurement on it to see how far they have actually worn but from the looks of them it isnt that much. I love my PBRs and dont think Ill ever buy a different tire. Ill get ya some numbers tomorrow, approx miles and an average thread depth of all four.
post #25 of 81 Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
I have had my Rockers for over a year now, not sure exactly how many miles but Ive been to AR twice, Mississippi, OK and I DD it about 200 miles a week. I have been meaning to get a thread depth measurement on it to see how far they have actually worn but from the looks of them it isnt that much. I love my PBRs and dont think Ill ever buy a different tire. Ill get ya some numbers tomorrow, approx miles and an average thread depth of all four.
Cool. That'd be awesome if you could post up that info.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode