Coilovers(bumpstop questions) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Coilovers(bumpstop questions)

Well I've got Offroad Evolution 14" King coilovers on the way, and the mounts from Evo as well. I know most people Ive seen with this kit run the King air bumps up front for bump stops. Are air bumps a requirement with front coilovers? What options are there for bump stops up front when running coilovers? I searched and found lots of info on coilovers, but not bump stops needed with coilovers. Thanks!

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Generally if your spending the money on coilovers there isn't a problem springing for speed bumps, you can do without but it's way more enjoyable to wheel with them
Also if you planning on doing anything highspeed you going to want them
Alot of the evo guys do the double throw down and if I'm not mistaken one of the shocks is tuned as a bumpstop
I went with Rk 2.0 speed bumps up front with poly cans
And teraflex speed bumps in the rear, would've done Rk's in the rear but haven't decided on a rear coilover set up yet(leaning towards rebels) so I didn't wanna fab anything that would have to be changed

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's

Last edited by jeepnick; 02-25-2012 at 11:25 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Rock God

No they're not a requirement. They help with high speed stuff and hard bottom outs on drop off or hard hits. We've setup regular rubber bumps for people and had Jeeps that didn't run bumps and honestly didn't need them. It's really based off several variables such as coilover setup and use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Generally if your spending the money on coilovers there isn't a problem springing for speed bumps, you can do without but it's way more enjoyable to wheel with them
I went with Rk 2.0 speed bumps up front with poly cans
And teraflex speed bumps in the rear, would've done Rk's in the rear but haven't decided on a rear coilover set up yet(leaning towards rebels) so I didn't wanna fab anything that would have to be changed
Just checked out the Poly cans. Did you use any kind of mount? Or just weld the can to the frame directly? Any pics of your setup?

Semper Fi
post #5 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
Just checked out the Poly cans. Did you use any kind of mount? Or just weld the can to the frame directly? Any pics of your setup?
They are weld on to the frame

The second one is a better shot of the poly can, I'm pretty sure it's Jk specific, I think prope uses it as well on his Jk
Edit
Found the link
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-Front-Air-Bump-Mounting-Kit-p-25275.html

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's

Last edited by jeepnick; 02-25-2012 at 11:34 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

To do it again I would prob buy the cheaper poly cans and figure a way to mount them, pretty sure since they were Jk specific poly charged double the money
I bought one can to use as a spacer and it was like 30$
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...-Can-p-64.html

post #7 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Those are the cans I was just looking at, plus I think $15 for the mount to weld on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi
post #8 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I don't run bumpstops on my front coilovers. I intended to do the project but after wheeling it a few times I put that project on the back burner. I may get to it but it will be the last thing that I do for my build.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I don't run bumpstops on my front coilovers. I intended to do the project but after wheeling it a few times I put that project on the back burner. I may get to it but it will be the last thing that I do for my build.
It doesn't damage the coilovers running w/o bump stops?

Semper Fi
post #10 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

It just can't be good for them. I've over compressed mine dozens of times. But after 2.5 years my RadFlow coilover shocks haven't lost any psi. And my fox shocks on the rear are still fine also. So I used to worry about that a lot but shit, after all the wheeling I've done with no issues I don't worry anymore. Pic is an example of what has to be over compress, tire is stuffed into the driver front and pas rear. So bottom line, I don't advicate not running bumpstops - just saying it hasn't been a prob for me!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #11 of 21 Old 02-26-2012, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

run bumps stops. unless you are using an air shock, strut or other item that has an internal bump your shocks are not designed to bottom out. Its your call if you would rather spend the cheap money on a bump stop or a lot of money on replacing a coilover.

As for what kind it depends on the money you want to throw at it. For 90% of us a air based bump is overkill and usueless. Not only that but it better be part of your daily check like you would check your tires as they will lose PSI.Yes they are bling, yes they are adjustable but yes they are overkill.
A VERY good option is the daystar stingers. easy to mount, adjustable and foam based.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-26466.html

Next would be the Poly Performance budget cans
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-p-25577.html
Cheap, easy to mount, just not as adjustable as the Daystars.

Lastly would be just a simple rubber or foam stop on a solid mount.

Run them, your coilovers will like you for them when you need them. It would suck for you not to install $100 worth of steel and rubber and kill $800 worth of coilover because you did not think you needed them.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well I called Offroad Evo about their front air bump mounts and they are only $70 for the set so I ordered those. They are 2" tubes so I'll run the poly budget bumps in them. Still need to order those.

Semper Fi
post #13 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Rock God

im gonna resurrect this thread since im looking at bumpstops. reading on pirate 4x4 these seem to be a popular option...

http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main...products_id=25
post #14 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
im gonna resurrect this thread since im looking at bumpstops. reading on pirate 4x4 these seem to be a popular option...

http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main...products_id=25
their bump cans WERE awesome too... apparently not anymore...

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #15 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Rock God

they are crappy now?
post #16 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Some coil overs have bump stops on the shaft to keep from damaging them.
I would use a 2" air bump since you are doing a 14" travel shock. You will have limited up travel.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #17 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
they are crappy now?
They're not nearly as nice. I'll post pics.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #18 of 21 Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Rock God

i have the fox 2.0 bumpstops with poly cans and RK 2 5/8 coilovers work great. nice combo

post #19 of 21 Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
i have the fox 2.0 bumpstops with poly cans and RK 2 5/8 coilovers work great. nice combo

I like the set up. One question. how are you mounting the remote canaster?

thanks

.................................................. ......................
08 detonator yellow JK rubi.RIPP super charger 3.5" Rock Krawler X factor long arm, with 2.5 remote res Coil overs, 37" mtr/k's,. With a bunch of other fun stuff!
post #20 of 21 Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

I mounted mine on the bump stop can. You can see photos in my sig link.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #21 of 21 Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj-rubi View Post
I like the set up. One question. how are you mounting the remote canaster?

thanks
thanks ... i just clamp it to the coilover towers on the right side.. works perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode