PSC Hydro Assist - very touchy at high speeds - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
ncl

PSC Hydro Assist - very touchy at high speeds

2008 JKU with PSC Hydro Assist. Absolutely love it on the trail and on road at low speeds, but at 50 and above it is too much. The smallest input on the steering wheel has the Jeep all over the road.

Any thoughts about how to remedy this?

- Change alignment?
- Add fitting to restrict fluid floe to ram?
- Add valve to redirect fluid flow while on pavement?
- Some solution I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Nick

'08 JK Unlimited - 37" MTR's, Beadlocks, ProRock 44, 5.38's with ARB's, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Garage

Which kit are you running?

And to a certain extent, this is the trade off of Hydro assist... you may want to check your alignment as well.. especially the caster.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
ncl

(SKR265) Jeep '07 & Up JK Extreme Duty Cylinder Assist Kit. This was recommended by PSC due to tire size....

Previously, I had driven my ZJ (home brew) and a TJ (PSC) with hydro assist and they were not this touchy....after install the twitchy JK kind of surprised me (the wimpy factory power steering also surprised me).

I'll have to check my alignment specs. Prior to the PSC install I had tweaked it a lot to try and solve some death wobble issues (ultimately, I had a trackbar that was flexing under load....but hey, I got hydro out of the deal )

I'm thinking more positive caster to see how that impacts the handling, agreed?

'08 JK Unlimited - 37" MTR's, Beadlocks, ProRock 44, 5.38's with ARB's, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Garage

Yes before you blame the ram assist make sure you are with spec on all your geometry.

And Like I said, a certain amount of "twitcheness" is going to be experienced... you could always drop your ram from the 1.75" bore you have now to the 1.5" bore and see if that is better for you as well.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #5 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Mine was kind of touchy before i rendered my track bar and drag link parallel. Now, its rock solid and smooth.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #6 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Mine was kind of touchy before i rendered my track bar and drag link parallel. Now, its rock solid and smooth.
How do you render your track bar and drag link perfectly parallel? Im curious as I have been having some complicated, weird steerig issues...Maybe that will resolve my problems

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #7 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
How do you render your track bar and drag link perfectly parallel? Im curious as I have been having some complicated, weird steerig issues...Maybe that will resolve my problems
Well, what actually caused my problem was when i installed the high steer drag link. I did that at the same time as i did my PSC steering. I had to rebuild the track bar bracket to raise the track bar.

Before:

After:

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 02-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
JKO Addict!

caster angle?
you could go with a smaller pulley but trade off there is at idle performance.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
lbh
Rock God

Mine is perfect and I love it. My guess would be your alignment. I would never go back.

2007 JK
post #10 of 23 Old 08-24-2013, 08:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i believe i am having this same issue - was this ever fixed? what was the problem?

I have redneck ram hydro assist but i don't feel like this issue is necessarily related to the hydro steering. Before this issue arose my hydro assist was blowing my mind with how smooth it functioned. on dry pavement when i cycle the steering it still seems to function perfectly fine. the issue seems to be elsewhere but i am not sure where to check. i just recently had the jeep aligned so i don't think that could be it.

i am replacing one of my upper control arm bushings, but i'm afraid that may not fix it either. basically, the jeep feels like you are driving it on a tight rope. i cannot take the jeep higher than 40 mph or i am almost certain it will spin out or roll over.

Anyone ever fix this issue?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #11 of 23 Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Joneszi, sure sounds like alignment to me. I went thru a bunch of alignment issues and with some setups it would twitch all over the road and feel like it wanted to rollover or spin just changing lanes. It also felt like hitting a reflector or any little bit of wind wanted to push me into the next lane. Change the alignment and the twichyness went away. I added hydro assist and it didn't change my street-ability at all.

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #12 of 23 Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 AM
JKO Addict!

What's your toe at? I went from 1/4" in to 5/16" in and noticed it held it's heading better. On 37s, the 1/16" is negligible for tire wear.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
i believe i am having this same issue - was this ever fixed? what was the problem?

I have redneck ram hydro assist but i don't feel like this issue is necessarily related to the hydro steering. Before this issue arose my hydro assist was blowing my mind with how smooth it functioned. on dry pavement when i cycle the steering it still seems to function perfectly fine. the issue seems to be elsewhere but i am not sure where to check. i just recently had the jeep aligned so i don't think that could be it.

i am replacing one of my upper control arm bushings, but i'm afraid that may not fix it either. basically, the jeep feels like you are driving it on a tight rope. i cannot take the jeep higher than 40 mph or i am almost certain it will spin out or roll over.

Anyone ever fix this issue?
I have the redneck ram setup and its not the least bit twitchy.
I run 75-80 on the interstate using 2 fingers on the steering wheel.
I would investigate alinement and caster. Make sure your angles are good on trackbar and drag link.
I was amazed how much difference it made in how mine drove once they were more parrallel.
I was running a drag link flip and didn't have my trackbar bracket on and it was all over the place. Once I raised it to match it was great.

You smell that?
post #14 of 23 Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think i am leaning toward an alignment/castor issue. i'll get a chance to wrench on it in 2 weekends so until then it will remain a mystery. Thanks all for the help. i think between the control arm bushing and perhaps a minor alignment issue it should hopefully fix the problem.

what caster do you guys find works with 4" lift and 37s?

post #15 of 23 Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
i think i am leaning toward an alignment/castor issue. i'll get a chance to wrench on it in 2 weekends so until then it will remain a mystery. Thanks all for the help. i think between the control arm bushing and perhaps a minor alignment issue it should hopefully fix the problem.

what caster do you guys find works with 4" lift and 37s?
What driveshaft do you have up there?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Rock God

i love the responsiveness with the hydroassist. beats having slop in the steering. it feels like a sedan

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #17 of 23 Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Rock God

It sounds like you have too high of flow. If you reduce the flow, or increase the demand, it will reduce the twitchy manners at high speed, but will make it harder to steer at low speeds. This can be done two ways. One is a pump with less volume, and the other is a larger diameter ram. Do not put an orifice fitting in line to add restriction. It will cause excess heat and burn up your vane pump.

I agree with other comments, that you must make sure you front end geometry is adjusted and set properly before you attempt to tune your steering. I am running a DIY setup with the 1.5" PSC ram, and a KRC adjustable pump. I can drive 80mph and change lanes comfortably with one finger. Hydro will make the steering feel different than factory, and does take some getting used to as well.

Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #18 of 23 Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
What driveshaft do you have up there?
stock

post #19 of 23 Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Rock God

The track bar you have, I don't know who makes it but I have seen that one before and it flexes horribly. I would replace it and that maybe the cause of your twitchiness vs. the hydraulic steer. I will try to find the YouTube vid on that.

What make is your track bar? I may find the vid easier if I knew that info.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #20 of 23 Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphalt assault View Post
The track bar you have, I don't know who makes it but I have seen that one before and it flexes horribly. I would replace it and that maybe the cause of your twitchiness vs. the hydraulic steer. I will try to find the YouTube vid on that.

What make is your track bar? I may find the vid easier if I knew that info.
its superlift and it definitely has some flex to it. but i doubt that would cause the issue i am now having. i ran around with the hydro assist for several weeks and it was amazing prior to this happening. everything in my front end finally felt dialed in. i'm holding out hope that when i get a chance to align it and check the caster the bad driving manners will disappear.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Granite Guru

the track bar and the mounts are very important. I had a crack in the front trackbar mount on the frame and caused similar to what your reporting. I think you want no flex on your track bar and the proper angle. It is not the PSC system it is likely the other components and the hydro system is just amplifying your problem. It could even be your rear track bar but it makes it seem like it is the front.

Silver 4 Door JK
60's / 40's
Ripp
Rebel Off Road Suspension
King Shocks

Last edited by OffRoadGeorge; 08-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Wheeler

Loose pitman arm, loose steering box, steering box internals too tight, or a spool valve that is too tight can cause this as well.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Wheeler

Hydro assist

Lets think about this. You said ram assist. It still is connected to the column and steering wheel. The steering mechanics aren't changed. The track bar is very important in the issue and if you think the cheap trackball is flexing I would fix that first.
The flow through the ram isn't making the steering wheel turn faster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode