Poly Performance High Steer Drag Link - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Poly Performance High Steer Drag Link

Just got through installing the Poly Performance High Steer Drag Link and the Poly Performance Front Track Bar Bracket.

Pretty straigh forward install, but I'd suggest to allow yourself plenty of time and not be in a rush. Once it is all set up, adjusting the drag link is a piece of cake with the Poly adjuster set up.

The steering geometry is now definitely much better, and the drag link perfectly parallel to the track bar.

I used the stock track bar, as I've been having some issues with wearing out the heims on my adjustable one. We'll see how it does.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
...I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Lame!!! lol I can't believe you come on here and post that, and then don't have any pics to show.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am anxiously awaiting pictures also. This is on my short list. What lift are you running and how well does your axle line up using the stock track bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Rock God

We need a "This thread Worthless without pictures" smilie...

I'm interested in seeing this also.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Alec W

Phil, you basically said I have candy and Im not sharing This thread is worthless without pictures
post #6 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Okay, I get the message:

post #7 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks PhilD. Good pictures. Do you think it would be beneficial to weld it to the axle after the install? How much is it depending on the factory welds and mounts to hold? I'm not knocking the design, as this is the best I have seen yet. I just wander if it would give a little piece of mind to run a couple of beads.

I love the Fox Stabiler. Where'd you get it?
post #8 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Thanks PhilD. Good pictures. Do you think it would be beneficial to weld it to the axle after the install? How much is it depending on the factory welds and mounts to hold? I'm not knocking the design, as this is the best I have seen yet.
You could weld it, and I thought about it, but think it will be fine without it. I forgot to take a pic of the u-bolt that wraps around the axle, will take one later. So it is held in three places, the factory track bar bracket, the factory sway bar link bracket, and by the u-bolt around the axle. I may just lay down a few beads here and there at some point.

Quote:
I love the Fox Stabiler. Where'd you get it?
It isn't specifically designed for the JK, it's a Fox 980-99-099-A and I used the factory mount on the tie rod, just turned it around and rotated it 90. There is a hole on the upper left side of the Poly track bar bracket that you could use to mount it, but I wanted to keep it as parallel to the tie rod as I could, so drilled another hole in the bracket on the right and lower down.

The steering stab is pressurized, so does push the steering the to the left very slightly. This actually compensates for the camber of the road most of the time, so doesn't really bother me. If you want to spend the big bucks, I believe Fox offer a position sensitive stabilizer that won't push the steering either way.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks PhilD. What lift are you running?
post #10 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Thanks PhilD. What lift are you running?
Well it started off as a Superlift 4", but there isn't much left of that, only the front lower bump stops and rear upper bump stops.

I have Poly Performance 4.5" springs, Fox Emulsion 11" travel shocks, Teraflex rear track bar bracket, and Superlift RockRunner lower control arms, which I really like. I gave up waiting for their uppers though and will be adding some Poly uppers once I get them. I do have have Superlift front and rear adjustable track bars, but I'm running stock ones right now, as I've had issues with the heim joints wearing out fast.

If I were doing it all again, I'd just go with a Poly Synergy kit, but it wasn't available at the time, nor was much else, so I went with the Superlift kit.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OK. I thought for some reason you were running TeraFlex lower control arms. I was going to tell you that they are backwards, but never mind.
post #12 of 33 Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 PM

Damn it !!! Now I gotta buy something else!!

How much higher is the drag link now than before?

Now we just need to get that tie rod out of harm's way

"If you want to spend the big bucks, I believe Fox offer a position sensitive stabilizer that won't push the steering either way."

Got a part # for that one?

Last edited by 2K1TJ; 11-21-2007 at 06:13 PM.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K1TJ View Post
How much higher is the drag link now than before?
About 3" at the knuckle end. This improves the roll center and gives a much more "stock" feel to the steering. Now that I've put a few miles on it, I have to say I am very happy with steering response and feel now.

Quote:
Now we just need to get that tie rod out of harm's way
Not sure how easy that will be, as if you flip it I don't think you'll have enough clearance at the passenger side due to the drag link. A newly designed knuckle would resolve that, but not sure that's even in the works with anyone yet.

Quote:
Got a part # for that one?
I did, but can't put my hands on it right now and Fox don't list it. I'll try and find it...
post #14 of 33 Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Here's the U-bolt that wraps around the axle. I still to get the stock stabilizer mounts off, and you can see where my Skyjacker steering stabilizer was rubbing against the track bar bracket.
Attached Images

post #15 of 33 Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

This is something I haven't seen discussed much, but the position of the sway bar in relation to the Pitman arm can be an issue.

The Superlift kit requires you to re-use the factory rear sway bar connectors on the front. This results in the sway bar ends pointing down, which not only is not the ideal angle for the say bar ends which should be horizontal, but it also can bring the Pitman arm into contact with the sway bar at full lock.

This resulted in a few ripped boots on the rod end for me. Still using the factory rear connectors, but with the additional height provided by the Poly track bar bracket, the sway bar ends are now horizontal and clear of the end of the Pitman. Obviously when flexing there is the still the possibility of contact, but at least it won't be doing on a daily basis.
Attached Images

post #16 of 33 Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Now that I've had the chance to put some miles on the vehicle, I have to say I'm really impressed. The steering is light and responsive, with absolutely no bump steer. I can't really recall what it drove like stock, but it now feels as good as I want and the steering is perfect to me.
post #17 of 33 Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good to hear. I'll be ordering mine soon.
post #18 of 33 Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Awesome stuff Phil! Good photo's too!

I got my knuckle over and bracket just before the holidays. I ended up heading out to Death Valley for 4 days so I didn't get any work done on the JK. I'm looking forward to my install and it will be interesting to compare the difference between the Nth and the Poly Performance steering setups. Right now I drive a lifted 4wd sports car and some of that I have to attribute to the Poly Performance springs that really added predictability to my ride.

You have me thinking I may need to take some time and work some more on the hybrid project and work on my trailer a little later. I've been post-poneing until my shocks come in but maybe I should just jump onto the steering.

Thanks for the motivator!

post #19 of 33 Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Right now I drive a lifted 4wd sports car

I really like the Poly springs also, very nice ride. The Superlift springs I had where good, but these are better.

You'll really like the steering. At first I wasn't sure if I was imaging the difference, or if it was real, but after a few days I really started to notice how easy the steering was and how well it performed.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just installed mine today. Thanks PhilD and Poly Performance.

This is one of the best mods I've done yet. Bump steer is almost non existant now. I am extremely happy with the way it drives. You can tell a big difference when cornering too. I didn't install the sway bar relocation brackets, because my sway bar is already level. The Teraflex quick disconnects won't work now, but I never use them anyway. I'm also using a Superlift stabilizer which bolts on nicely. It comes with a post that mounts right onto the track bar bracket.

For anybody running a 4" lift or more, you definately want to put this on your to do list.

I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.
post #21 of 33 Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I just installed mine today.
post #22 of 33 Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Can this be installed with a stock tie rod and drag link??? I'm running 2.5 with a 3/4 spacer and stock tie rod and drag link.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Can this be installed with a stock tie rod and drag link??? I'm running 2.5 with a 3/4 spacer and stock tie rod and drag link.
Yes and no. You can use the stock tie rod, but you will obviously be changing the stock drag link out for the high steer one.

You need to install the high steer drag link and track bar relocation bracket together, otherwise your steering geometry will be messed up.

You also will need to make sure your bump stops are big enough to prevent the track bar bracket making contact with the frame.
post #24 of 33 Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here are the pictures I promised. Once again, I would like tell you this mod has improved my JK's handling tremendously. You can deffinately feel how the roll center is higher when cornering.

post #25 of 33 Old 12-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Glad everything is working well for you guys. I think you can use the Tera quick disconnects with that bracket, you basically have to flip the pins 180 and put them in the upper hole in the track bar bracket and use the relocation bracket on the other side. I'll post some picks when I get a chance.

Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode