Drivers Side Thunk on Potholes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Drivers Side Thunk on Potholes

Ok, I'm slowly getting all the bugs worked out from my install and DW episodes (which has been resolved) and am now left with only one thing to fix.

Every time I hit a pothole or a rough spot with the front driver side tire, I get a pretty solid thunk from the driver's side. This does not happen if I hit a pothole with the passenger side tires. I can feel the thunk on the floor board but nothing through the steering wheel. The smaller the bigger bump, the less the thunk, but still there. It is almost like the spring is catching up to the mounts that is creating the thunk - but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've spent more time than I care to admit in trying to track this down.

Here is my setup:
- 2.5 RK Max Travel System, everything is tight and has been checked for proper torque
- Still running stock wheels and tires while waiting for the GY MTR/K replacements.
- Skid row engine/transmission plate - I originally thought the exhaust was banging on the plate, but it was not happening before the install and I have adjusted the hanger bracket upward since the install.
- replaced the ball joints while waiting for the GY MTR/Ks - what the hell, the JK has almost 35K on it and I had several episodes of DW. Thought it was a good idea. Turned out to be a good call as the lower drivers side BJ was not looking to good. Certainly got rid of the shimmy when I hit bumps.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

I think I have a similar thunk as well in mine but haven't bothered to track it down. It's either my aftermarket muffler slapping the floor, the crap in my rear cubby moving or hell about to break loose.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Rock God

Not sure if this is it, but after my lift, the front sway bar would hit the protruding framing crossmember tube on the drivers side. You'll see scratch marks on the tube end if this is what you are experiencing (see pic). Easy to fix by grinding back the tube a bit or pushing the sway bar back to the other side a it.

Last edited by Vince1; 12-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

Ditto on the electrical tape around the door latches, cured mine

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #5 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Rock God

Loose sway link or lower shock mount. Tighten the crap out of the lower shock mount.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I had the same thing (or similar)..... narrowed it down to the springs moving around. Tack welded that shit up and haven't heard it since!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDailey4 View Post
Wrap some electric tape around the door latch in the driver side door jamb and see if it goes away.
Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I think I have a similar thunk as well in mine but haven't bothered to track it down. It's either my aftermarket muffler slapping the floor, the crap in my rear cubby moving or hell about to break loose.
I pulled everthing out of the jeep and taped down the front shackles. No joy. Might pull the skid plate off this weekend and see if that resolves the issue. I'm afraid that all hell is about to break loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
Not sure if this is it, but after my lift, the front sway bar would hit the protruding framing crossmember tube on the drivers side. You'll see scratch marks on the tube end if this is what you are experiencing (see pic). Easy to fix by grinding back the tube a bit or pushing the sway bar back to the other side a it.
Great idea...had high hopes this was it! But nope, not so easy....damn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
Loose sway link or lower shock mount. Tighten the crap out of the lower shock mount.
I've already looked at both and tightened the lower shock mount. Once again no joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
I had the same thing (or similar)..... narrowed it down to the springs moving around. Tack welded that shit up and haven't heard it since!
Going try this over the weekend! Maybe it will work.

Because weekends are made to work on Jeeps!

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode