Reviews for Red Neck Ram? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Reviews for Red Neck Ram?

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html

Anyone currently running/used to run one? I need a hydro setup and would like to save a little money. I have heard they are a pain to setup but work great, is that still correct? The reviews I've found are a couple of years old.
Thanks!

08 jk unlimited rubicon auto
4" currie lift, Reid Racing Knuckles, GenRight fenders and rock sliders 37" MTR's,Soft 8's DIY beadlocks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jk noob; 02-22-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk noob View Post
h ttp://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html

Anyone currently running/used to run one? I need a hydro setup and would like to save a little money. I have heard they are a pain to setup but work great, is that still correct? The reviews I've found are a couple of years old.
Thanks!

I like mine. Take your time and set it up yourself. Works great.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Just got done installing my PSC kit yesterday. It's not painful, just takes some patience to get it all in. I think it took about 6 hours total time. That includes bleeding the system.

STOMPER Off-Road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html

Thanks!
This isn't that other place. Don't break links

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HAHAHA, yep I spend too much time at the crap site!

4" currie lift, Reid Racing Knuckles, GenRight fenders and rock sliders 37" MTR's,Soft 8's DIY beadlocks,

post #6 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Just got done installing my PSC kit yesterday. It's not painful, just takes some patience to get it all in. I think it took about 6 hours total time. That includes bleeding the system.
The PSC is just a little spendy for me, less than 1/2 the price for the redneck ram (at least that's what it looks like).

post #7 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
JKowners Vendor

They are nice and simple! They have worked everytime we have used them. We will be putting one on our 2012 going together right now!

RK
post #8 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
The PSC is just a little spendy for me, less than 1/2 the price for the redneck ram (at least that's what it looks like).
If you go strait by list price, PSC would cost $130 more than RR (for whats included in there kit). The PSC Kits cost more because they includes a remote reservoir, pully, extra lines, tie rod clamp and a bracket for the axle.

I did the gear rebuild, 1.75" ram, high volume pump kit, cooler, hoses, and tie rod clamp for much less than double the RR cost.

STOMPER Off-Road
post #9 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
If you go strait by list price, PSC would cost $130 more than RR (for whats included in there kit). The PSC Kits cost more because they includes a remote reservoir, pully, extra lines, tie rod clamp and a bracket for the axle.

I did the gear rebuild, 1.75" ram, high volume pump kit, cooler, hoses, and tie rod clamp for much less than double the RR cost.
This!

Price out all the components individually before making decisions on which is less expensive. I am sure you will find the RNR less in most or all cases, but by how much?

Personally.... if you are going for a new box, go PSC. If you are going rebuild, go RNR (if he can do your year/problem).

BTW.... I have the RNR and am very happy with my purchase.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

I was looking at this a few weeks ago as part of the next phase of my build.

Check out...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27692

Our favorite local Marine goes through the whole process and other people add their two cents.

I always try to do things right the first time without much regard to cost. After reviewing the threads and both manufacturer sites I am going with the redneck ram. (Halfway through it I changed my mind then at the end I decided to go RR) The system can always be upgraded if you have the need. The most common problem is a buildup of heat this is the reason for larger reservoir and heat exchanger. My opinion is if you are rock crawling at the usual low speed, pushing 40" tires when dead still, and are in 100 degree weather then you may need the secondary cooling.

Co4Lo is still using the redneck ram pushing 44" tires without any issues of course he is in the Rockies, as am I, where high temps are not an issue.

My perspective is I'm just looking at ways to relieve the strain on the steering sector shaft. At this point I have zero issues with the stock setup and am looking for ways to build reliability when stepping up to 37s. When I go, I go far and alone, it is just me and mine with my jeep so what some call overkill I call comfort.

I am not sure of your use and what will suit your needs. My take is to brace the stock steering sector shaft either with a bracket I make or the Poly one being developed and adding the Redneck ram as protection when adding the heavy tires and rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #11 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Rock God

You should definitely read through the Hydro Assist Reference thread that toymaster linked to. Tons of info and reviews on both setups in there.

I run the WTOR kit and recommend it over the PSC kit because it costs less and works great. However, I fabbed up my own brackets on both ends of the ram, which is something you would have to factor in for cost with the WTOR kit.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #12 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lets just say my JK is Johnson Valley Hammers trail tested... At this point when I turn my wheel to lock my box pees fluid, and the sector shaft is braced with the JKS setup. So I need some relief on the box, and it would be nice to be able to turn my tires when aired down in the dirt let alone when on a trail.

I asked the representative at west texas offroad what else I'd need and he told me the $499 kit was a complete kit. Please enlighten me on anything the kit doesn't include.
Thanks!

post #13 of 22 Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Lets just say my JK is Johnson Valley Hammers trail tested... At this point when I turn my wheel to lock my box pees fluid, and the sector shaft is braced with the JKS setup. So I need some relief on the box, and it would be nice to be able to turn my tires when aired down in the dirt let alone when on a trail.

I asked the representative at west texas offroad what else I'd need and he told me the $499 kit was a complete kit. Please enlighten me on anything the kit doesn't include.
Thanks!
Your question is really hard to answer. Like suspension kits, hydro assist "kits" means different things to different people. But, I would suggest that until you have researched both the PSC and the Red Neck Ram kits and fully understand them on your own, you are probably not ready to tackle this mod.

With the RNR, you should add a fluid cooler minimum. You will probably also need a couple hardware items, cooler hose and fluid. I checked out their website - pretty fitting for the RNR brand.

Maybe this will help: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/07-10-...ssist-kit.html

I can see the benefits of either system. This is a serious mod with a messy backside if you screw it up. Credit card and a coin flip.

Enlightenment complete.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

I run a RNR ported box and ram, PSC pump and res and a cooler.

Your pump is where your money is, you can run a Surplus Center ram with a garge ported box but if you are trying to push a modded factory pump to any limit it will bring the suck.

If you are doing a one stop shopping go PSC. If you have time to mix and match then you can save some cash.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

So guys answer a question for me. I also have been looking at hydro assist kits. I noticed now that PCS has a new kit

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicl...new-style.html

and the price has jumped up quite a bit over the extreme kit.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/07-10-...ssist-kit.html

What is the difference in the two?

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #16 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I run a RNR ported box and ram, PSC pump and res and a cooler.

Your pump is where your money is, you can run a Surplus Center ram with a garge ported box but if you are trying to push a modded factory pump to any limit it will bring the suck.

If you are doing a one stop shopping go PSC. If you have time to mix and match then you can save some cash.
I saw your videos, why did you switch to the PSC pump? I'm not worried about the res, you can get 1 for $27 and a cooler for $75. Brackets and whatnot I can fab (I have plasma/TIG and metal working tools/skills).

I just don't want any surprises when I go to install, sorry I don't need my skills assessed because I ask for info. I can read and use Google to read websites too. I make/install my mods, not buy/pay others to do it for me. This is my dd and I will need all the parts available to do the install because it will be hard to run to the parts store.

Thanks to everyone who has posted relevant info.

post #17 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
So guys answer a question for me. I also have been looking at hydro assist kits. I noticed now that PCS has a new kit

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicl...new-style.html

and the price has jumped up quite a bit over the extreme kit.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/07-10-...ssist-kit.html

What is the difference in the two?
Wow! I called and talked to Lance at PSC this morning because I was kind of amazed at the pricing issue myself.

Here is the deal, according to Lance:

In 2010, Jeep went to a "cheap" Made in China gear box. So, if you want an old style, presumably pre-2010, they have to buy it as a replacement part from Chrysler, and he says it is very expensive (at least an extra $600.00). If you have an old style, they can rework it.

So, tapping a new style Made in China box - dunno? May still pee.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

My steering box has been leaking for some time. Minor leak, have not had to refill the power steering yet but.....enough to have me concerned. Do you think that the red neck ram should be at the top of my list now? HOw long do I have with a leaky box?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #19 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I saw your videos, why did you switch to the PSC pump? I'm not worried about the res, you can get 1 for $27 and a cooler for $75. Brackets and whatnot I can fab (I have plasma/TIG and metal working tools/skills).

I just don't want any surprises when I go to install, sorry I don't need my skills assessed because I ask for info. I can read and use Google to read websites too. I make/install my mods, not buy/pay others to do it for me. This is my dd and I will need all the parts available to do the install because it will be hard to run to the parts store.

Thanks to everyone who has posted relevant info.
I went with the PSC pump because I was not getting enough pressure at/right off idle. There was an obvious delay with low RPM and all "fixes" for that (more spring, bigger hole, overdrive pulley) are all pretty much bandaids for the simple fact a stock pump can only put out so much.

Now mind you, you can do the stock pump pressure modifications yourself as there are many online directions. Works great? = no cash. not working out? = upgradde !

Oh and the best coolers I found for cheap is http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-19...item20b4f45d34 and a few other US sellers on ebay. Get the size that will fit and an AN size bigger than your return (so if the return from your box is AN-6 get an AN-8 or 10) so the cooler is not an obstruction.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

DOC is the man... listen to him and his thread. It's where most of us, from that point on, got our direction from. It's a great post with all the relevant info.

I would suggest going with a dual tranny/PS cooler. Kill two birds with one stone.

I have a 10 and ran into the box issue. I broke a shaft and sent it to RNR... they couldn't repair it and I had to get a pre-10 box to them to do the work. It was around 400 if memory serves me correctly, but the hummer box was more, over 600 (as previously stated). He said nothing about the porting issue with the Chinese gear, but couldn't source replacement parts to rebuild and replace the broken shaft... these are things that might have been rectified in the last year and a half? I'd call Matt @RNR to verify.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok, thanks Doc. I've been reading through your thread as time allows and getting great info thanks I will be sourcing a dual cooler as my trans has overheated in the past and my RK deep sump didn't solve the issue.

post #22 of 22 Old 02-24-2012, 05:51 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

I got my dual from summit.... 90 to 100 bucks if I recall correctly. They have a few, I got the largest I could fit in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode