Question for ATX Slab owners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-21-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Question for ATX Slab owners

Maybe y'all can enlighten me. So when I got my Slabs about a week ago, there were no beadlock bolts or inserts in in any of the wheel boxes or a separate hardware box. Called vendor and he got a box of bolts/inserts sent, which arrived today. Box has a ziplock each of bolts and inserts. No instructions. To me, it doesn't look like OEM packaging. So here are my questions:

1. What's the proper way to set the inserts into the wheel? From top or bottom?
2. What tool do you use to do this? None in box? Is there a torque spec for the inserts themselves?
3. It looks like red locktite is on all the inserts threads. Is that what you had or did my inserts come out of the used parts bin? (I'm fine with that as long as they all "work").
4. How easy did your inserts thread into the wheel? I'm asking because, because just "testing" one by hand I get about 1/2 rotation from top (those slots in the inserts facing upwards) before it stops. Almost looks like too big of an insert but maybe they are suppose to be really tight fits and you elbow it in with a tool. I question forcing it any further until I get some feedback.

I want to get these puppies on my new tires and start working tires out. Girlfriend starting to give grief with all the jeep stuff sitting in garage!

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Rock God

thats really strange they didnt come already with the insert in the wheel.. ive had three sets of spyderlocks which are the same wheel.. and they always came with the inserts in the wheel.. but maybe the atx come with out them installed ? i bet someone forgot to add the hardware.. but shouldn't be a problem to thread those in their. ive used a big flat head screw driver to remove them.. and you probably should use red lock tight on them . good luck ..great wheel
post #3 of 10 Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

Weird!

Mine came inserted already (spyderlocks)

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

ATX must have really dropped the ball I have a buddy with the same problem. He called them yesterday and they sent the inserts out rite away. We are going to start on them Friday. I have the same wheels but all the inserts were installed already.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Granite Guru

My wheels were shipped complete all I had to do was mount the tire and set the ring and bolt it down. Every box had a box of Allen head ring bolts and the valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
My wheels were shipped complete all I had to do was mount the tire and set the ring and bolt it down. Every box had a box of Allen head ring bolts and the valve stems.
I think the OEM packaging department took a snooze during the quality control meeting then - I have to pick up some valve stems too.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

POS inserts (or my particular set of wheels)! I bought the Sypderlocks insert tool to install them correctly. No go. The very first two inserts broke under install (threading) load at about a full turn in. This is not going to work 120 times. Now I got to see what the vendor says. It's going to suck the big one if I have to send these wheels back and wait for new ones.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Granite Guru

We used a bolt with a lock nut threaded on to it. We threaded the bolt into the insert until it was against the jam nut. Then you can turn the insert in with a ratchet and the lock nut will keep the insert from going to deep. we had them all installed pretty quick. If you have any questions just send me a message.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Good tip!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfireman309 View Post
We used a bolt with a lock nut threaded on to it. We threaded the bolt into the insert until it was against the jam nut. Then you can turn the insert in with a ratchet and the lock nut will keep the insert from going to deep. we had them all installed pretty quick. If you have any questions just send me a message.
Awesome - thanks! I'll try this after work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode