HID retrofit xenon pics - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to Hovo Send a message via MSN to Hovo Send a message via Yahoo to Hovo
HID retrofit xenon pics

A few guys asked me to post my project pics, i guess my last thread had broken pic links... so here it is... took a considerable amount of time to make, I had to make a vacuum former to make the front mold. baked alot of the interior housing parts in blue paint to get a blue hew when lights are off (seepics) FYI if anyones doing this the headlight plastic lens WILL have stress cracks after prying it off even after sticking it in the oven. I put some rinky dink LEDs on there but I relised later its too ricer so i dont turn them on, cant really see the LEDs when their off.. I used 2 relays to activate the lights... wiring was half the battle and a huge pain in the ass. I worked on it on and off. it took me about 6 months to make this working on it an hour here 2-3 hours there.. no instruction manual so everthing was trail and error... dont even ask how much this project cost me

The output these lights give with hella 35w ballasts is amazing, the light spread is very uniform and consistant from right ro left with sharp cutoff with the zkw lenses. i upped it to 55w just to see how it looks at night it was crazy bright. the differnce in light compared to anything that can be put In a stock lamp isn't even a comparison..

all said and done If I had to do this again. I would just throw some HID bulbs in the stock housings just like everyone else and call it good... f*ck oncoming traffic right? its too much work to make sure ppl dont get blinded by your headlights. anyways, enjoy..

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Last edited by Hovo; 02-21-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to Hovo Send a message via MSN to Hovo Send a message via Yahoo to Hovo

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
post #3 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
post #5 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
post #6 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
post #7 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Nice job. Shoot as far as not doing 'em again, I say put the offer out & I bet youd make a killing producing these for sale. Just my 2 cents.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks!
I highly doubt it will sell due to the price associated with making these units

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Rock God

There are companies that do retrofits (just the labour). From what I hear (I haven't looked into it), it's around 500-600 for them to do it. Add in parts and it's now 900-1200 for the lights. I would think that many jeepers (unless their anal about being able to see like me), would opt for Cibies (which are cheaper and still very effective), and put the rest towards other mods.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #10 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Rock God

i for one would love hids over cibies.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Slow and Low

Wow!!
You completely lost me with the whole wooden box thing. But you did a fantastic job! Those look awesome. I would buy a set.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Wheeler

Bad freakin ass bro!!! KILLER job and engineering.

2012 Wrangler Unlimited: My daily driver, Skyjacker/XD/Mickey, just getting started
2006 Charger SRT426: My garage queen, totally custom from bumper to bumper, never done
2006 Cherokee SRT8: Wife's daily driver, few little bolt-ons, tastefully modded
post #13 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

What about these from RROR

http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...product_id=151

They are $995 . I don't think I could justify that for a pair of lights (but they would be nice to have)....
post #14 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Wow!!
You completely lost me with the whole wooden box thing. But you did a fantastic job! Those look awesome. I would buy a set.
lol yeah I glazed over when I got the the box! But the end results are impressive1

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Very nice. I bet that took some time! I can't imagine how many hours you have in fabbing all that. End results came out great though. Pretty cool how you built the vacuuform. Did you just buy some sheets of thermoplastic for that? What did you use to heat the plastic?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode