Steering Stabilizer Relocation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Steering Stabilizer Relocation

My stock SS is leaking and I need to replace it. However, I have the JKS reinforcement bracket and would like to relocate the SS mount to reduce the mounting angle on the axle side. What should I do, if anything? Or should I just use a new SS with some sort of ball joint on the axle side? I've considered using a spacer and attaching the SS on the outside of the JKS reinforcement bracket. It would place the SS above the tie rod, but not sure if a longer bolt would withstand the stress.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like. These are pre-damage pictures.

Need advice. Thanks.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I think a longer bolt could take the stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I bought the Woods relocation bracket and went with a Monroe SS. I painted it and put one of their stickers on it. Mine seems more horizontal than the pics on your Jeep. Monroe #SC-2960 O'Reilly's I did trim the edge a little with my grinder on the stabilizer. The washer cap (axle end) was just a little too big but only took a few seconds to fix. You can see that I cut a little off in the pics. Great price and works as it should.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 02-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Longer bolt will be fine. I have just welded a bolt to the face of a track bar bracket and it's worked out fine.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

My fear with a longer bolt is that the SS may hit the tie rod or the drag link on a full turn. I guess I'll know once I do it and all I've lost is the cost of a longer bolt. I considered welding a 1/4"- or 3/16"-thick steel tab just above the trackbar bolt and mounting the SS to that tab. It would raise it out of the way and bring it out some.

What do you think?

post #6 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

If you have a welder, I'd just stick a bolt to the face of the track bar bracket. Up and over from the track bar bolt and call it good.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #7 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well, I ordered everything from Marcus at RCO, received a few days later and just finished installing it today. I have to admit, the difference is very noticeable from stock. I was not expecting that. Not that the stock ride was unstable or anything, but this new shock absorber really stiffens the steering and makes any bump steer completely gone.

The relocation bracket has three holes, but one of the holes was covered by the JKS trackbar bracket. I was too lazy to drill through 1/4" of steel, and the bracket seemed more than secure with just the two bolts, so I left it as is. Solid.

The trackbar bolt was a bitch to take off, but I expected that. When I re-tightened the trackbar bolt, I had to use an 8" extension rod on the torque wrench because of the brackets, so I tightened to 135lbs to compensate for the loss in torque value from the extension rod. I didn't know the amount of torque loss from extensions, but that seemed and felt about right. Someone please tell me if I'm way off. Here are some pics. Very sexy aluminum canister.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Well, I ordered everything from Marcus at RCO, received a few days later and just finished installing it today. I have to admit, the difference is very noticeable from stock. I was not expecting that. Not that the stock ride was unstable or anything, but this new shock absorber really stiffens the steering and makes any bump steer completely gone.

The relocation bracket has three holes, but one of the holes was covered by the JKS trackbar bracket. I was too lazy to drill through 1/4" of steel, and the bracket seemed more than secure with just the two bolts, so I left it as is. Solid.

The trackbar bolt was a bitch to take off, but I expected that. When I re-tightened the trackbar bolt, I had to use an 8" extension rod on the torque wrench because of the brackets, so I tightened to 135lbs to compensate for the loss in torque value from the extension rod. I didn't know the amount of torque loss from extensions, but that seemed and felt about right. Someone please tell me if I'm way off. Here are some pics. Very sexy aluminum canister.

Looks good. I ordered the same setup from Marcus and will be installing this week. I do have the Woods SS relocation bracket though.

: usa :Semper Fi

0341-81's for Life
(2002-'08)

Teraflex 2.5 Coil W/Shocks + 1" TF spacers all around, Rock Krawler Frnt. LCA's, JKS Frnt. and Rr. Track Bars, PSC Brawler Lite, PureJeep Stubby Rear w/Carrier, 315/70/17 GY Duratracs, AEV Procal
post #9 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Tax
Talk to me about that skid that looks like covers the rubi swaybar disconnect motor. What is that?

Also a silly question but what did you use to make the light blue marks on your bolts so you could visually see if they moved? A paint pen?

SS and mount look good.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #10 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Tax
Talk to me about that skid that looks like covers the rubi swaybar disconnect motor. What is that?

Also a silly question but what did you use to make the light blue marks on your bolts so you could visually see if they moved? A paint pen?

SS and mount look good.
Thanks! That's an Expedition One Rubi Skid Plate. It requires you cut off the lower cross frame brace and rotate the e-disco motor. It was one of the first things I did to the Jeep. I think the Jeep was less than a week old when my wife caught me in the garage with sparks flying everywhere followed by a loud thunk of the metal cross frame falling to the floor. I've had this Jeep for over 4 years now and the skid plate has held up great.

The light blue marks are from a paint pen. I mark all my bolts after I torque them down so I can quickly visually inspect whether anything has moved. I can't take credit for it. I learned the trick from the guys at 4WP years ago when they worked on my TJ before I had the JK.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason0341 View Post
Looks good. I ordered the same setup from Marcus and will be installing this week. I do have the Woods SS relocation bracket though.
Yeah, in hindsight I probably could have done with the Woods relo bracket since it only utilizes the 2 holes I used. But Marcus gave me a great deal on everything, so I said what the hell. Besides, it came with a really cool Synergy Suspension sticker!

One thing I noticed, that I didn't expect, is that my steering wheel is no longer centered properly. I found that to be unusual since I didn't touch the drag link, just the bracket that clamps to the tie rod. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I could have sworn the steering wheel was centered before. Hmmm.

Oh, and while I was under the front of my Jeep, I noticed my passenger axle seal is busted. I have diff fluid all over my passenger C. And my front brake pads are worn. I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend.

post #12 of 16 Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Oh, and while I was under the front of my Jeep, I noticed my passenger axle seal is busted. I have diff fluid all over my passenger C. And my front brake pads are worn. I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend.
Never done...
post #13 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
One thing I noticed, that I didn't expect, is that my steering wheel is no longer centered properly. I found that to be unusual since I didn't touch the drag link, just the bracket that clamps to the tie rod. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I could have sworn the steering wheel was centered before. Hmmm.
Paranoid.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Paranoid.
You're just pissed I didn't weld a bolt on.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You're just pissed I didn't weld a bolt on.
Not really, THEN your steering wheel would be off!

post #16 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Granite Guru

Well I installed mine today. Here is my new front end setup PSC bumper, woods ss relocate, bilstein ss, synergy tie rod clamp.
Everything went well except removing the fucking stock clamp on the tierod! Tried to beat the shit out of it and expand it but still couldn't get it off. It's the newer style and not just the u bolts. Anyways here is my setup. I will try to remove the clamp again this weekend.

: usa :Semper Fi

0341-81's for Life
(2002-'08)

Teraflex 2.5 Coil W/Shocks + 1" TF spacers all around, Rock Krawler Frnt. LCA's, JKS Frnt. and Rr. Track Bars, PSC Brawler Lite, PureJeep Stubby Rear w/Carrier, 315/70/17 GY Duratracs, AEV Procal

Last edited by jason0341; 03-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode