Who makes a soft-granny crown vic riding shock? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Who makes a soft-granny crown vic riding shock?

Well I liked the ride of the factory Rubicon shocks, but with how much lift is on my rig now...they plain won't work. So I have a set of new SkyJacker Hydros on my rig. They had a pretty good amount of reviews as being a soft ride....well, it rides like shit with these shocks.

Certainly my stock arms (rear primarily) are not helping, however I am pretty disappointed in the ride quality.

Who makes a super-soft squishy shock in decent lengths?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Rock God

Skyjackers? Yea i went that route. After selling them i lost $150. Not counting having to buy bilsteins and teraflex for the front. I like both. If your rig is heavier than mine then the bilsteins are about the softest I've experienced. I had a few fat guys in the back and it rode like a BMW.

sent using the dark side of the force

check my site out

post #3 of 42 Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well they were $130 for the set of skyjackers, not quite breaking the bank if I had to sell them. Buying stuff twice is certainly not common for me, but it's really annoying me! I don't want to say it rides like a tank, but quick blurps in the road have no give in the suspension.

Sent via paper airplane

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Rock God

now idk really but shouldn't the king 2.5 resies that evo sells ride like butter off hot skillet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Maybe they just corrected your ridiculous mistake. Who the fuck orders chrome anything?
post #5 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I'd imagine they are pretty decent at $2,000 per set. However where-as the shock is at home blazing through the desert, I think it'd be a bit of a financial and functional over-kill for what it takes to get a smoother ride. I don't need them to not overheat for 60mph blazes through the desert and offer outrageous extension figures with stock arms.

post #6 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Rock God

OME makes a pretty soft shock

Like us on

post #7 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

X2 on OME. Great shock!

IndyORV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
We're not gonna play the pony tail faggot game here...
post #8 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ran the Edelbrock remote res universal fit with soft valving, very boulevard, but the price is steep. (bought on the $60 liquidation) The ride was soft enough I spent alot of time on the bump stops and I blew one in the Hammers. I've switched to the Fox emulsions ($200 a pair on Ebay) Called the vendor and asked them to send them soft but not to soft. The ride is still boulevard but I don't see the bump stops on large dips in the road anymore.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the info, I have heard great things about OME shocks. I will be installing an OME on someone's JK this coming weekend and will finally get to check them out first hand.

As far as how much travel I get on the road? Currently it's minimum. It takes a hell of a hit for me to get even halfway to my bump stops (7.5" down travel in the front, 7" in the rear. Stock bump stops).

post #10 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

At the time I had 5" in the front and 6" in the rear to the stops. I blew the left rear.

OME has made good stuff for as long as I could remember, but were geared for modest builds.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #11 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

skyjacker is complete crap.

Old Man Emu rides like a cadillac. I've ridden in a buddy's jeep that runs the OME 2.5/3" lift and it rides like a dream. It's a little more unstable off road, but thats the compromise when it comes to soft shocks. Seriously, get the OME.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #12 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
skyjacker is complete crap.

Old Man Emu rides like a cadillac. I've ridden in a buddy's jeep that runs the OME 2.5/3" lift and it rides like a dream. It's a little more unstable off road, but thats the compromise when it comes to soft shocks. Seriously, get the OME.
Thanks, I'll be checking a set out this weekend. [OME]. The off-road stability isn't a killer given I spend FAR more time on the road over the trail. If the ride was good enough, I'd look at a rear anti-rock or maybe a Full Traction rear HD bar to help with the body roll.

post #13 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Wheeler

I have the Fox "factory performance" ones and they ride great.

"Courage is being scared to death ... and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne"
post #14 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

What about the adjustables like procomp of rancho , I have the procomp and I love them , the rear is set a little hard and thr front soft and when I go wheeling I move all of them to soft and it rides nice over the dirt
post #15 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got the Rancho 9000. I run the front at 6 and the rear on 4 when in the city and change them all to 1 when I'm out on the trail. The work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #16 of 42 Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Call Poly Performance and talk to them!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #17 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

I can't stand my pro comp ES9000's. If I hit any kind of a bump the rear of the jeep leaves the ground and slams down like crazy. I vote bilsteins
post #18 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I've got the Rancho 9000. I run the front at 6 and the rear on 4 when in the city and change them all to 1 when I'm out on the trail. The work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been real pleased with my Rancho 9000's. They seem fine off road, although I think they need to be longer. On road they seem "boaty" at higher speeds. It's hard to explain but when you are going 45 and up and the road tilts a little one way or the other it feels like the jeep moves back and forth more than it should, almost like a boat in the water. Do you get this at all?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #19 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjk View Post
I can't stand my pro comp ES9000's. If I hit any kind of a bump the rear of the jeep leaves the ground and slams down like crazy. I vote bilsteins
The pro comp nitros are about as forgiving as a 2x4. Everyone runs bilsteins for some reason, seems like its usually because that's what everyone else runs. And some people that have had bilsteins don't want them again.

Curious to mess with the OME this weekend.

Sent via paper airplane

post #20 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm not too fond of my TF 9550s. I thought my Rubi shocks were softer and rode better on the road. Been looking into the OMEs and Billstein 5100s that everyone keeps recommending. Let us know how the OMEs work out this weekend. I'm curious.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #21 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll be watching this as my Rubi takeoffs are starting to feel a little worn and I need to replace with a good 2 1/2" lift shock eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I haven't been real pleased with my Rancho 9000's. They seem fine off road, although I think they need to be longer. On road they seem "boaty" at higher speeds. It's hard to explain but when you are going 45 and up and the road tilts a little one way or the other it feels like the jeep moves back and forth more than it should, almost like a boat in the water. Do you get this at all?
Yeah totally get it, I call it the "SUV seasick" feeling because it exactly reminds me of riding in my friend's old Expedition.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #22 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I'll be watching this as my Rubi takeoffs are starting to feel a little worn and I need to replace with a good 2 1/2" lift shock eventually.Yeah totally get it, I call it the "SUV seasick" feeling because it exactly reminds me of riding in my friend's old Expedition.
Whatever you go with, watch the length. Skyjacker, bilstein and anyone else have pretty different specs. I found skyjackers 2.5" lift shocks to be more like stock. I ended up with, I think, their 6" lift shock for a 3" lift!

Sent via paper airplane

post #23 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Yeah totally get it, I call it the "SUV seasick" feeling because it exactly reminds me of riding in my friend's old Expedition.
That's how my bilsteins felt to me. It really got annoying. I needed longer shocks so I went with fox ipf 2.0s. I can feel the difference. It eats up bumps in the road without the jarring feeling.

I do think the bilsteins are a great shock for the money though as you will spend about 200 bucks more for foxs. I had tf 9550s and those rose the hardest.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #24 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Rock God

I've put about 15k miles on my bilsteins with 2" spacers and now teraflex 2.5" coils and I am really happy with them both on road and off road. I haven't had any other shocks on the jk except stock to compare them to though.
post #25 of 42 Old 02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
V8 dreams

my rancho 9000s stay on the softest setting all the time. they ride ok for a JK on E rated tires, however, i will be trying another shock next time around.

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode