Tint Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Tint Question

I'm messing around with the idea of tinting the windows on my JK and need help figuring something out. New York state law states your vehicle windows must let 70% of visible light through. However, it seems the factory JK hardtop tint is somewhere around 25-35%VLT. How can this be legal in New York? I was thinking about going with 25%VLT

Anybody care to chime in?

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Granite Guru

Of course Id check with Local LEO's but I had the front windows tinted to match the rears on my 09 JKU and even had the windshield done with a light tint. The rake of the glass combined with the short dash made the hot sun twice as brutal. Now, its a HUGE difference. Ive got several LEO buddies and theyve not said anything about it, but Im sure its not legal.

On the other hand, it looks rediculously badass IMO and its much more shade in the daytime. I know why there is a tint law and Ive only been pulled over a handful of times in my life, (not in the jeep yet) but everytime I do, Ive usually got windows down before I even stop. I want him to know there are no suprises waiting when he walks up. Much respect.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I think I'll be fine as long as I keep it around the factory percentage. None of the local LEO's will hassle me since I work with them on a routine basis and they all know me. I'm just trying to put together the logic here? It doesn't really make sense to me.

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Rock God

That's the rear. If I'm not mistaken, the rear can be whatever you want. It's the front that needs to comply.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #5 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Wheeler

the rear and back side windows have no limitation for tints, you can paint them black if you wanted to. the issue is solely with the driver and passenger windows, anything beyond whatever NY allows is only applicable to them, and however boring of a day the local cops are having.

07 jk rubicon, 4" rough country, 33x12.5 kanati mud hogs

Give me liberty or give me death. Patrick Henry
post #6 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Front and rear sides I believe.

http://tintlaws.com/laws/NY/

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
post #7 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm going to tint my back ones with some limo tint. Up here in Canuk land we can't have any tint on any of your front windows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

In Colorado its the fronts that have to comply but I've had mine tinted (to match the rear) for awhile now and have not had any problems. I do roll them down if Leo's behind me. I'm probably being paranoid but that's OK. When I was traveling to Vegas a few years ago my friend and I got pulled over in Utah for having dark front window tint and the state patrol took a blade to both of them. So now I just roll them down... I've never heard of that happening here so I'm not too concerned! Knock on wood! It looks bad ass but you have to be really cautious when backing up at night because you can't see shit! It's really nice in the summer because it stays cooler(when the top is on) Lol. Well that's my two cents...

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

My girlfriend had a state trooper pull her over years ago and he made her scrape the tint off their car because he said it was too dark. He didn't have anything to test it. He was just going by eye. Since she didn't want the ticket, nor the hassle, she scraped most of it off before he would let her go.

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
post #10 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShafferNY View Post
My girlfriend had a state trooper pull her over years ago and he made her scrape the tint off their car because he said it was too dark. He didn't have anything to test it. He was just going by eye. Since she didn't want the ticket, nor the hassle, she scraped most of it off before he would let her go.
I guess another cop thought he was GOD? I would of told him to fuck off! If he wanted to hassle me that's fine too! I would of said call the tow truck, and I will see you in court. But then again that's just me. I FUCKING HATE know it all cops/ police to serve and protect!
post #11 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Granite Guru

Im pretty sure that the factory rear windows are 15%. I have my driver and passenger side tinted to match (atleast i know those are at 15%). I have not had a problem with it, but I do roll them down if a cop is next to me. In Michigan I have only heard of a few people getting pulled over and they just get a warning. It is technically illegal to have the front 2, but thats my experience with them. It probably depends on the cop.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Wheeler

TINT

WELL IF YOU DON'T MIND I WILL CHIME IN.
I'M HERE IN TEXAS. MOST STATES THE REAR CAN BE WHATEVER YOU WANT. IN TEXAS THE DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER SIDE LEGAL TINT IS 25%.
IF WE DECIDE TO WRITE A CITATION FOR WINDOW TINT, THE OFFICER SHOULD HAVE A TINT METER. THAT WILL REGISTER WHAT THE TINT IS. IF AN OFFICER WRITES YOU A CITATION FOR TINT AND DOES NOT USE A TINT METER, TAKE THE TICKET TO COURT AND YOU SHOULD WIN EASILY. I'M VERY SORRY FOR THE PERSON WHO WAS ISSUED A CITATION AND THIS WAS NOT DONE PROPERLY. IT DOES SICKEN MYSELF AND OTHER LEO'S WHEN WE DO NOT DO THE RIGHT THING.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper1 View Post
WELL IF YOU DON'T MIND I WILL CHIME IN.
I'M HERE IN TEXAS. MOST STATES THE REAR CAN BE WHATEVER YOU WANT. IN TEXAS THE DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER SIDE LEGAL TINT IS 25%.
IF WE DECIDE TO WRITE A CITATION FOR WINDOW TINT, THE OFFICER SHOULD HAVE A TINT METER. THAT WILL REGISTER WHAT THE TINT IS. IF AN OFFICER WRITES YOU A CITATION FOR TINT AND DOES NOT USE A TINT METER, TAKE THE TICKET TO COURT. AND YOU SHOULD WIN EASILY. I'M VERY SORRY FOR THE PERSON WHO WAS ISSUED A CITATION AND THIS WAS NOT DONE PROPERLY. IT DOES SICKEN MYSELF AND OTHER LEO'S WHEN WE DO NOT DO THE RIGHT THING.
Nice response but you don't have to yell! LOL

If I was a leo I wouldn't want any windows tinted so I knew wth was going on in the vehicle I just pulled over. At a minimum no front window tint IMO.

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #14 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Since my brother-in-law is a state trooper I can respect the idea behind not tinting the front windows. Whenever I've been pulled over I make sure the window is down before the officier even gets out of his cruiser and I keep my hands in plain site. These guys have enough shit to worry about out there without jokers playing games.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll tint the front windows or not. It's really the hardtop windows I'm looking at right now.

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
post #15 of 16 Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Well, I made a decision on the 25%. I probably could have gone a bit darker, but I'm happy with it. It didn't turn out too bad for my first tint job.

'16 2dr Willys
'15 2dr Sport
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM

I had my front doors done in 35% 5 years ago, it is the max. that is allowed here. I have not had any problem with them and they blend with factory tint on back doors and hard top windows.Name:  Copy of IMG_0150 Large Web view.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  97.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode