Im about to pull the trigger - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Im about to pull the trigger

on some parts.... Just wanted to check here first and make sure I wasnt making a mistake or over looking anything.

Buying gears from 4ws.com:
3.73 and up carrier
Front 5.13 gears
5.13 Rear non JK D44 gears
D30 Master Install kit
Dana 44 Master Install kit
PP Tie Rod
2 Fox-980-24-641 Front shocks From PP (I have a 4" RC Lift)

That should be it. Ill be getting tires next but thats for later on. Let me know if Im missing anything for the gear install or if any of these parts dont fit my Jeep. As far as I know they should all be perfect.

Update: Talked to 4ws.com vendor here and he advised me that if I buy the gears/overhaul kits as a package then I save about 150$ and its still free shipping! Yay for vendors! Ya'll are awesome!

Just to be clear, these kits are Yukon gears, Yukon overhaul kits and Timken bearings. Thats exactly what my installer wanted so it works out perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.

Last edited by militaryman4455; 02-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a brand new carrier for you. I bought it and then installed an ARB instead. Pm me and we will talk details.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I have a brand new carrier for you. I bought it and then installed an ARB instead. Pm me and we will talk details.
PM'd. Dont think its really worth it to buy a used carrier seeing that its only 57 shipped from 4ws and that way it comes in at the exact same time as the gears and is warrantied/guaranteed.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Anybody else have any recommendations before I pull the trigger on this. Ya'll know my debit card is burning a hole through my computer desk right now waiting on your replies.

Quote:
post #5 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Those fox you're referring to, are you talking about a stabilizer or just the front pair of shocks? You're good on everything else.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
Those fox you're referring to, are you talking about a stabilizer or just the front pair of shocks? You're good on everything else.
That would be the front pair of shocks. I broke one of my front RC shocks when I broke my D30 in half. It bent the piston. Actually they held up pretty good considering the way my axle was moving around but either way, the passenger side wont compress like it should so I need new shocks in the front. Might as well upgrade right.

Quote:
post #7 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Do it to it. Kevin will take good care of you and his gear pricing is hard to beat.

Those are the same Fox shocks that I run on the front of mine....you're good!

Marcus

post #8 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Do it to it. Kevin will take good care of you and his gear pricing is hard to beat.

Those are the same Fox shocks that I run on the front of mine....you're good!

Marcus
Lol. I Pm'd you about some parts man. Check your inbox. And who's Kevin. You're really the only vendor I know by name.

Quote:
post #9 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post
That would be the front pair of shocks. I broke one of my front RC shocks when I broke my D30 in half. It bent the piston. Actually they held up pretty good considering the way my axle was moving around but either way, the passenger side wont compress like it should so I need new shocks in the front. Might as well upgrade right.
Makes sense now. Just wanted to make sure you weren't forgetting the rear.

If you broke the D30 in half, time for some gussets and sleeves if you're sticking with that axle.... Oh, and you aren't allowed to mention carnage without mentioning the story behind the carnage.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Makes sense now. Just wanted to make sure you weren't forgetting the rear.

If you broke the D30 in half, time for some gussets and sleeves if you're sticking with that axle.... Oh, and you aren't allowed to mention carnage without mentioning the story behind the carnage.
Lol, no. Im not getting new rear shocks till later on down the road when I upgrade my whole suspension. Im thinking about a LA kit in the future and Im changing up to 37's.

I already sleeved the axle, thats how I fixed it after I broke it in half and I have the gussets for the C's. Just havent welded em in yet.

The whole story with pics is in my build here: 2010jkx build break repeat

Quote:

Last edited by militaryman4455; 02-15-2012 at 12:00 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Marcus says I should get some inner axle seals, I thought the kits came with that but I guess not.

Anybody else see anything I might be missing?

Quote:
post #12 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman4455 View Post

Dayum!

Nope, don't come with seals, but didn't even think of those. Normally** they'd be ok to reuse, but after what your axle has gone through...

** An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of effort later down the road though
post #13 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Dayum!

Nope, don't come with seals, but didn't even think of those. Normally** they'd be ok to reuse, but after what your axle has gone through...

** An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of effort later down the road though
Ive been running it after I fixed the D30 for around 10k miles with no issues so I'm hoping they're fine. If not, my installer will let me know and will replace em.

Quote:
post #14 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Rock God

List looks good, But if you are thinking about lockers now would be the time to do it.

post #15 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
List looks good, But if you are thinking about lockers now would be the time to do it.
I already have an Aussie in the front and Im not putting an auto in the rear. selectables put me way over budget and I still have to get tires within the next year. NTM, I can do lockers myself. But not gears.

Have ya'll done the Freeze out yet man?

Quote:
post #16 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Rock God

I should have a good time at the Freeze out. I finaly got the Jeep running right. I picked it up last night and everything works now. I hope to have my River Raider skids on by then. Sucks you can't make it. That event is always a good time.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
I should have a good time at the Freeze out. I finaly got the Jeep running right. I picked it up last night and everything works now. I hope to have my River Raider skids on by then. Sucks you can't make it. That event is always a good time.
Yeah I know man. If something changes and I can that would be awesome! I had a great time with ya'll last year!

Quote:
post #18 of 18 Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

UPDATE: Just ordered the Synergy Tie Rod, Fox IPF Shocks (Fox-980-24-641), and Daystar Hood Wranglers from Marcus at River City Offroad. As usual he gave me a great price and always has outstanding customer service! Thanks Marcus!

Now Im just waiting to see if my installer can beat 4ws.com's price on the gears and install kits. I doubt he can but I figured I'd give him the chance too.

Also buying the carrier from oz97tj since he had one NIB laying around. Thanks man, paypal is on the way.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode