She's home...and GROWLING!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to Rafic
Talking She's home...and GROWLING!!!

The HEMI jk is home!

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The other Jeep

The other toys

HEMI 6.1L - 4.88 Gears - OME HD Lift - OME Steering Stab - Front & Rear RK Trackbar + Relocation Bracket - ARB Deluxe Front Bumper - Warn 9.5cti - IPF XS900 - 35" Cooper STT - 17" Ruged Ridge Wheels - ARB Diff Covers - AEV Rear Corner Guards - Mopar Rear Light Guards - Rugged Ridge Hi Lift Mount - Daystar Dash Top - Daystar Switch Panel - Pioneer AVH 4100 - 2x MB Quart Component Sets - 1x R.F. AMP - 1x Pioneer AMP - 1x Pioneer Small Sub Enclosure
post #3 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sexy Jeep. Not many jacking poiints on it to use that HiLift jack. That Hemi is just plain sexy!

And dang, you got some great toys

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Sexy Jeep. Not many jacking poiints on it to use that HiLift jack. That Hemi is just plain sexy!

And dang, you got some great toys
I have 2 jacking points in the ARB front bumper, you cant really see them in the pics. As for the rear, I use a couple of heavy duty hooks attached to a chain. I hook them up to the two holes in the hitch receiver. Works great only if the rear spare tire is removed! And thx for the comments! Right now, the Hemi is my favorite! That V8 sounds INSANE!!!

Last edited by Rafic; 02-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Talking Funny start-up vid!

I took this very short vid for start-up, and the loud hemi triggered the Grand Cherokee's alarm. Together with the Hemi rumble, I must have woken up the compound! I parked and ran up home. It was 2 am! LOOOL!!!

HEMI JK triggers car alarm! - YouTube

post #6 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Rock God

What terrain do you wheel on in Lebanon? Post up some videos of that think on the trails!

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
post #7 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Nice set of toys you have there...

quick question on your setup... i see a snorkel on the outside of the hood, yet you have a CAI underneath... did you have to get rid of the snorkel for the HEMI swap? just curious

post #8 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Berserker, the terrain here is greatly varied, you can find anything from forest trails, muddy trails, gravel trails, mountain snow trails...yet trails for rock crawling are very very rare and very remote. Will post up some pics asap!

Paramaniac, I installed the snorkel prior to deciding on the Hemi swap. I never got around to have it fully functional even with the 3.8 V6. And now it just sits there with no functionality as it wont work with the Hemi setup. I am looking into fabricating an aluminum box/enclosure for the CAI and connect it somehow to the snorkel. Still a work in progress. Unless Volant steps up and releases a Hemi version for their underhood enclosure! Come on Volant, I like your snorkel the best!

The other possibility is to completely lose the Volant snorkel and go with an AEV snorkel with their Hemi adapter, they released one not long ago, here's a pic, I believe this is DSY's Hemi JK:

Another possibility is to run an enclosed CAI/Filter and connect it via a tube/duct like this one:

More ideas to work around:

BMC makes a quality enclosed CAI system:

Last edited by Rafic; 02-15-2012 at 07:22 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

awesome!!!! and i love the other toys too!!! haha

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

That is fantastic. Nice color on the Jeep too. The Pheonix M3 is one of my all-time favorite vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JKUnlimitedSport_2010 & CakemanPa thx for the comments!

Let me move on to what I have seen/experienced so far with the swap. Being new to the 6.1 Hemi and especially in a JK, alot of weird/unknown sounds are going around and Im trying to wrap my head around them.

At cold start up, just when the idle settles down, there's a ticking sound, faint but its there. As the JK warms up, the ticking noise goes away completely. I'm guessing it is a minor exhaust leak? I rechecked all the exhaust fittings and everything seems tight. Only bolts I couldn't get to were the header to block bolts. And the ticking sound kinda feels its coming from there. So I'm hoping this is just a "tighten bolts" kinda thing. I'm not sure if this is the famous Hemi tick I keep reading about?

Another issue is a whistling sound under very very light acceleration when vehicle under load. I have researched this and it seems that most if not all Hemi engines (5.7 and 6.1) when installed with a CAI, they give out this whistling sound under light accelerator push. Increase the gas and its gone, back off and its there. Remove your foot off the pedal, its gone. Am I on the right track here?

I have had no heating issues so far. The water temp gauge is on dead center all the time. I drove it alot this past week and went up to the mountains (a 2 hour uphill drive) and all was good. Mind you the weather is cold but not freezing cold.

The gear change on the 545RFE tranny was somewhat off. Dunno how to explain it, but the more I drove it around the more the shifting was in harmony with the engine's power range and road/load demand. But still I feel it could manage the shifting better. Do these trannies adapt to driving style/load demand as you drive them? The tranny I have is a pull out from a 2005 Durango 5.7, its part number is 52119554AA. When I press the O/D to off, the tranny shifts down into 3rd directly. Stay on it long enough and it goes to 4th. O/D on and it goes to 5th. Im getting 2400/2500 rpms at 80mph in 5th with 4.88 gears. I recently read that some 545RFE trannies wont work with the Hemi swaps??!! Dunno if I have fallen victim to this?? Any input?

Another thing, IT IS SOOOO LOUD!!! The hushpower muffler supplied with the AEV kit is super duper loud. At first I thought hey who cares I have a Hemi and its cool, BUT when I took that two hour mountain drive, my ears were going to bleed!!! There is a very annoying drone when cruising in high gear, especially on small inclines. I have a Magnaflow resonator, a long big one, I will be adding this to the system and see how it fares. If it still annoys me, Ill just add a quiter muffler.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when the JK is fully warmed up, there's a whine when I trun the steering wheel. Im guessing it the power steering pump. It is a brand new unit. I used mopar power steering fluid as per the dealer recommendations. He gave me the fluid they use for the GC SRT8. Maybe I need to bleed the pump more and the sound would go away? The whining only comes on when the JK is fully warm at operating temps. The whine happens almost all the time, more pronounced when driving around and in 2nd gear, and it gets louder as the revs build up. I do have 35" tires, and I feel a very very slight resistance in the steering wheel when moving from opposite steering locks. Any thoughts?

Thats about it for now. All are minor issues. The JK starts and runs like a champ. If anything else comes up, Ill make sure to share.

Last edited by Rafic; 02-15-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode