Fuel cell in daily driver - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Fuel cell in daily driver

OK vatos, I keep kicking crap around and may be 4 linking instead of the 3 link stretch. Question is, can a fuel cell work in a daily driver. Thinking of the Genright $600.00 unit run behind my b-pillar cage-work.

Serious responses please, it's newb territory for me.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Sadly this is something I'll never be able to do due to California's Laws Be curious to see someone do it though! GL!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I don't think I would want all the fule (evein in a fulecell) in the cab of the DD Jeep. And they have a lot of hoses coming out of them that I don't understadn. So I'll be watching this thread for the reply of the Experts

Sent by Monkey Flinging Poo

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Rock God

We do it all the time. Its no problem and it wont smell as long as you have everything sealed up and mounted properly.

Like us on

post #5 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Depending on your state's level of anal retention come inspection time is the only issue I see. Otherwise the fittings and hoses are pretty simple on a JK, I have no idea on the level sender though.
post #6 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

I've got the same Genright cell. You have to modify the pump yourself which they don't tell you.

The pump sits to high in the cell. I would order a tank from Carolina Truggies. Their tank has a recess so the pump sits on the bottom like its designed to. May cost a bit more but worth it.

Cell will be fine in a daily driver. Fill ups will just take a little longer.
post #7 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Rock God

I run an RCI 2162 with GenRight ring and stock fuel pump assembly in my TJ daily driver with absolutely zero issues. As long as the seal between the ring and cell is good and you use good lines (I recommend Aeroquip), you'll have no fumes at all. The JK evaporative/emissions system is very similar to the late model TJ's and I can tell you that it's not at all difficult. Use a little common sense and you can have the thing plumbed, bolted in and running in a few hours. If you go this route, go with a cell that will allow your fuel pump to sit on the bottom.
post #8 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the help guys, I'd really like to ditch the trracbar if I can, it will make stretching this beyotch that much easier.

post #9 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Thanks for the help guys, I'd really like to ditch the trracbar if I can, it will make stretching this beyotch that much easier.
If u get rid off the tank you will have room for a single or double triangulated 4 link in the rear and won't need a Trackbar
post #10 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
If u get rid off the tank you will have room for a single or double triangulated 4 link in the rear and won't need a Trackbar
I think he knows that.......
post #11 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I think he knows that.......
Obviously he didn't know that u fucktard. He said he would like to get rid of the Trackbar if he can. He wasn't sure if he could or not. By triangulating the Trackbar can be eliminated.
post #12 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
It never ends...

TNT customs is doing one like this now: fuel cell in bac, moved to make room for suspension. Should be done in another month. (new suspension, armor, etc).

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #13 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Trading the track bar for a fuel tank ain't going to make anything easier.

I had a fuel cell in a daily driver before and I hated the smell in the enclosed cab. I am sure the fuel cell folks will come on and say otherwise though.

Loosing inside cargo in a 2-door is iffy too.
post #14 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Obviously he didn't know that u fucktard. He said he would like to get rid of the Trackbar if he can. He wasn't sure if he could or not. By triangulating the Trackbar can be eliminated.
You are kidding, right?
post #15 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Bad day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post

I had a fuel cell in a daily driver before and I hated the smell in the enclosed cab. I am sure the fuel cell folks will come on and say otherwise though.
Summit lines and fittings = fumes up the wazoo. Aeroquip lines and fittings = zero fumes. I can let the Jeep sit for a week fully enclosed and get in without a hint of fumes. True story.
post #16 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

"True Story"
post #17 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownJK View Post
We do it all the time. Its no problem and it wont smell as long as you have everything sealed up and mounted properly.
Give us some pictures please

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #18 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'd imagine you could run a tuffy security deck, or the Mopar version of the same thing, and hide everything back there on a 4 dr.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #19 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Is there a diagram of some sort.

I dropped the fuel tank, have disconnected everything, wondering about the Evan canister if its reused, on my CT fuel cell you drop the sending unit reconnect the fuel line and connector but wondering what in guessing is the return line that run along the pass. frame..

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #20 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I was just expressing that I was warming to the idea of losing the tracbar and do realize that can be done by tringulating. The three link / panhard route was how I had planned all this out, but my buddy has gotten in my ear about how the 4 link would ultimately be better knowing that it's something I'll end up doing eventually anyway. The fuel cell issue is my hurdle I need to get over to buy into the 4 link. Some say it would be no issues, a few others the opposite. GenRight makes a Comp tank that I think could be recessed in the rear and sealed off from the cabin, going to talk to those guys tomorrow and get their opinion.

post #21 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
You are kidding, right?

I can see how Jeff thought I was a little more lost than I actually am hahaha.

post #22 of 44 Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

HA! This didn't seem to be a thread that would cause a fight! Looking forward to seeing some pics of an install.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #23 of 44 Old 02-15-2012, 05:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
Give us some pictures please
For a quick example look at RK's Victim, Co4Lo's JK, and andrelopez99's JK. They have my fuel cell. Current pictures of the Victim won't have it cause they had to have a bladder to race but the all aluminum one is mine. Also click on the link at the bottom of my signature(page 15), that's the first JK to get a fuel cell before we had the fuel system figured out. If you need some more let me know.

Like us on

post #24 of 44 Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I was just expressing that I was warming to the idea of losing the tracbar and do realize that can be done by tringulating. The three link / panhard route was how I had planned all this out, but my buddy has gotten in my ear about how the 4 link would ultimately be better knowing that it's something I'll end up doing eventually anyway. The fuel cell issue is my hurdle I need to get over to buy into the 4 link. Some say it would be no issues, a few others the opposite. GenRight makes a Comp tank that I think could be recessed in the rear and sealed off from the cabin, going to talk to those guys tomorrow and get their opinion.

Do you ever plan to stretch the rear? If so make sure that Genright comp tank won't be in the way.

You can get any shape cell, have a Jk pump ring welded in and be done for alot less money. The tank just needs to be shallow enough so that the factory pump sits on the bottom of tank.
post #25 of 44 Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Rock God

http://www.carolinatruggies.com/inde...t_detail&p=196
Here's the link to our tank. The picture shown is RK's Victim

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode