Driveshaft question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Driveshaft question

Ok, so I'm gonna warn ya... this is probably a stupid question, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I know I have some driveline vibes up front due to my front uppers needing to be lengthened to tweek the angle. I figured this out the first time I locked the hubs after installing the driveshaft. I didn't run it long, but it was long enough to tell I had considerable vibes by 30mph or so.

Well, today I was crawling around under the heep looking for anything that might hinder my travels over the next 3 days (AL to GA to WV to NJ).

I noticed that my u-joint on the axle side is not sitting completely down in the yoke (Dear God, please tell me I used all the right terms... ).

Anyway, my questions are...

1 - Will it hurt to drive this back to NJ with it like that assuming that I don't need to use 4x4? Heck, if I have to use 4x4, it's gonna be slow moving anyway so I'd probably just pull over for a while since I've got vibes around 30mph.

2 - Is this as simple of a fix as it looks like? Loosen the u-bolts, slide the u-joint over into the notch, and then tighten the u-bolt back up? Seems like a 5 minute fix, but I don't want to start it and realize I didn't think far enough into it.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

3,000 more words...
Attached Images

Quote:

post #3 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Wheeler

Looks like you broke a C clip. If that cap pops off you're screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

#2 if you don't it will swarm. Looks like someone did't tighten it good.

07 unlimited LS 6.2 6l80 auto 3" black diamond 37" TOYO MT Trailready beadlocks arb's frt & rear
post #5 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Is it really as easy a fix as it looks?

Should I just pull it off and worry about it when I get home?

Quote:

post #6 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Wheeler

I would. At home it would be an easy fix. Better safe then sorry.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Fix it and the vibes will probably go away.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #8 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

2) Looks like it just isn't centered? Loosen the bolts, center the joint, tighten back up, and see if you still have vibes.

1) If it is actually bad, you said that you 'locked the hubs'. Does that mean manual hubs? If so, nothing in the front end should be spinning when in 2wd, so no issues with driving with the driveshaft installed.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Yes its that easy just loosen it up and center the cups in the yoke. There should be a tit on each side of the yoke to keep the cap from coming out.

07 unlimited LS 6.2 6l80 auto 3" black diamond 37" TOYO MT Trailready beadlocks arb's frt & rear
post #10 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcodjk View Post
Yes its that easy just loosen it up and center the cups in the yoke. There should be a tit on each side of the yoke to keep the cap from coming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
2) Looks like it just isn't centered? Loosen the bolts, center the joint, tighten back up, and see if you still have vibes.

1) If it is actually bad, you said that you 'locked the hubs'. Does that mean manual hubs? If so, nothing in the front end should be spinning when in 2wd, so no issues with driving with the driveshaft installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Fix it and the vibes will probably go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2007 View Post
I would. At home it would be an easy fix. Better safe then sorry.
Yes, locking hubs on my front D60.

I'm going to loosen, recenter, and tighten back down tomorrow before I take off. I'll check it when I stop for gas and if it's moved, I'll pull the whole shaft and worry about it when I get home.

I honestly don't think this will fix my vibes. I think it jumped out of place because of the vibes and I apparently didn't tighten it down good enough. I'm just glad I caught it when I did. I can only imagine what would've happened if I hit some snow and dropped it into 4x4 like that.

Thanks, all.

Quote:

post #11 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

There should be a tab on the Yoke that keeps it centered. Check to see if one didn't brake off.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #12 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll check it tomorrow, unsub. Going to bed now. Long day ahead of me tomorrow.

Quote:

post #13 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh, no... you mean the yoke? haha... I gotta remember those terms!

The side where you can see the ujoint sitting too far out, I saw the tab under the u-joint. It did not break off. I remember seeing the tab on the other side, too, so I think I just need to reseat it and tighten it down.

Quote:

post #14 of 30 Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Granite Guru

Simple fix, loosen recenter between tabs tighten.

Have a safe trip

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
post #15 of 30 Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ended up pulling the shaft (yeah, yeah, no jokes please). One of the "ears" (I think that's the right term) on the u-joint is fubar. I'll have to get a new u-joint when I get home. Hopefully, I don't hit too much snow on the way back.

Quote:

post #16 of 30 Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
I ended up pulling the shaft (yeah, yeah, no jokes please). One of the "ears" (I think that's the right term) on the u-joint is fubar. I'll have to get a new u-joint when I get home. Hopefully, I don't hit too much snow on the way back.
Your good with those big ole meats, air down a bit and keep truckin!

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
post #17 of 30 Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Wheeler

On a side note-what brand of drive shaft is that?
post #18 of 30 Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's a JE Reel. I wouldn't blame it too much on the manufacturer. I'm a noob and probably f'd it up when I installed it. No harm, no foul.

Anyone have the part number for the u-joint I need, though?

Quote:

post #19 of 30 Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

You said "one of the tabs is fubar"... are you refering to the 2 tabs on yoke that help center the u join on the yoke, or are you refering to the u joint itself (which doesn't have a tab).

It reads like when installing you crushed the alignment tab on the yoke (the part that is attached to your pinion shaft) because your u joint was not centered. Like everyone said, this will 100% give you vibes (as your entire shaft is now rotating off center).

You may be able to get away with centering your u joint in the yoke and retightneing everything down, tho I would check often to make sure it doesn't shift. Your other choice would be to get a new yoke and just make sure the u joint sits properly within the tabs before you torque down the bolts.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #20 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
It's a JE Reel. I wouldn't blame it too much on the manufacturer. I'm a noob and probably f'd it up when I installed it. No harm, no foul.

Anyone have the part number for the u-joint I need, though?
Jeeper JK: Give us a call. Though it looks and sounds like the U-joint wasn't properly seated in the yoke during installation and / or the U-bolts didn't get tightened up, we'll work with you to get you going again. As otehrs have mentioned, make sure the little tabs on outside of the half-moons of the yoke (where the U-joint rests) are not damaged or broken off; if one or the other is gone, the yoke needs to be replaced, too. Just call the shop when you get back to town.

J.E. Reel

909-629-9002
post #21 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Driveline View Post
Jeeper JK: Give us a call. Though it looks and sounds like the U-joint wasn't properly seated in the yoke during installation and / or the U-bolts didn't get tightened up, we'll work with you to get you going again. As otehrs have mentioned, make sure the little tabs on outside of the half-moons of the yoke (where the U-joint rests) are not damaged or broken off; if one or the other is gone, the yoke needs to be replaced, too. Just call the shop when you get back to town.
Thanks. I'm fully confident that I screwed this one up. Jason from Rebel is gonna get me set up with a couple u joints so I can replace this one and have an extra. I wouldn't dream of letting you take care of it. My screw up, I'll take responsibility.

Quote:

post #22 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Driveline View Post
Class act guys, he looked close to loosing the shaft, guys running big tires lucky he wasn't using 4wd.

Crew

post #23 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, unsub, if I'd used 4x4 one more time, I probably would've lost that ujoint completely and damaged the driveshaft, too. Good thing I found it when I did and, believe me, it won't be forgotten that Reel offered to help.

Quote:

post #24 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yeah, unsub, if I'd used 4x4 one more time, I probably would've lost that ujoint completely and damaged the driveshaft, too. Good thing I found it when I did and, believe me, it won't be forgotten that Reel offered to help.
Lucky front shafts have a habbet of ripping the front of the tcase off when they go. Knowing you you'd just put an atlas in

Crew

post #25 of 30 Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Lucky front shafts have a habbet of ripping the front of the tcase off when they go. Knowing you you'd just put an atlas in
Yeah, in hindsight, I should've left it on...

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode