how do I disable clutch/starter lockout? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

how do I disable clutch/starter lockout?

I've heard that I can just pull a fuse so I can start in gear, any truth to that? I have an Atlas t.c. and none of the 4x4 dash icons light up so the 4lo start in gear signal from the OEM t.c. is missing.

08 X 6speed.

Thanks.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 09:26 PM
JKO Addict!

find the plunger/switch on the clutch peddle, remove from the peddle arm and duct tape the plunger down. Taaaadaaaa it thinks the clutch is "pressed".
if the JK computer has issues with it being "presses" all the time then wire a momentary switch between the 2 existing wires off the plunger and mount it somewhere. when you need to start in gear you press the momentary switch and then start the vehicle.

The switch is a better overall idea as it prevents people who don't know "your" JK from starting in gear and putting it into something.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I think the taped plunger would screw up the cruise control if you have/use it
hitting the clutch probably kicks out the cruise

use a switch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yep, it has cruise control, and I plan on using it when I drive this rig to Moab! Still hoping there is a fuse I can pull cuz I'm lazy!

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?p=949538

Shamelessly pilfered from the site that must not be named! It works in the driveway, I will test cruise control and drive it a bit then probably pull the wire to the dash for a switch.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
post #6 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb96150 View Post
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?p=949538

Shamelessly pilfered from the site that must not be named! It works in the driveway, I will test cruise control and drive it a bit then probably pull the wire to the dash for a switch.
ummm...most of us are IP banned from there and can not read what you did.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, on the 2 mile section to town that I can use cruise I could not get it to work. So the post about CC being disabled might be correct. I will spend more time on it, and then post the mod after that.

I need this mod, so I will just keep plugging along until I get it. thanks for the heads up on the link being disabled for all you reprobates! I hope I'm not guilty by association.

And I will post my own fractured version of it when I do. Until then, it has to do with the yellow and red stripe wire in the loom that is aft of the left headlight. There are 3 big loom connectors and it is the 3rd from left (furthest inboard on my JK). Find that wire (yellow with red stripe) and tap a wire into it to ground. Now the JK will start in gear (or neutral).

Beware, when you turn the ignition key the rig will start even if it is in gear. And if in gear it will start and run and run into anything in it's way. Regardless of clutch position. Hence the reason for this mod. When on the trail you can start the rig in gear and not use the clutch. Most of you have oem transfer cases and can already do that in low range. Or you have that great switch on the dash that does the same thing.

I plan on installing a switch so that this is enabled only when I close that circuit (on the trail). It's just grounding that one wire so the switch and wire can be light duty.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if the AEV can set up the PRO-CAL to override the clutch lockout?

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'd like to hear about the Procal, since I just got mine.

But I can report that this mod does disable the cruise control, so I will be pulling wire to the dash for a switch to enable the mod while on the trail.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode