Coilover questions: resi mounting/spring rates - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Coilover questions: resi mounting/spring rates

Just got my 12" King coilovers for the front of my 2dr JK and had a few questions before I go to install sometime in the next couple weeks.

1.) This may be a stupid question, but do the shocks ship already filled with oil and charged with nitrogen? I know sometimes shipping companies are weird about stuff like that and some won't allow you to ship items that contain oil or whatever. Id hate to ruin a shock by assuming it was already filled.

2.) I need to get reservoir mounts for the front as I got the remote ones. Where and how did you guys mount them? Who's brackets did you get? Maybe post some pics??

3.) I know this may be a bit of a subjective question, but what spring rates should I be running? The came with 250/250 on both, and I know I could run dual rates if I wanted. I run a lot of varying terrain from high speed to some good rock crawling so I need them to be versatile. Plus my Jeep is my DD so a good ride on the road would be nice as well. I'm not against running them and seeing how they feel but I was curious what you guys recommended.

Thanks in advance!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Wheeler

You need to get the c/o on the jeep. See where it sits. You can change spring weights if it's not want you want. Using the 250/250 may be perfect, if not you will have a baseline to go from.

King will exchange springs with you if you keep them in like new shape. King does alot of jks do they should be fairly close on the springs.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

search as there is already a very extensive thread on here on spring rates and what works for our JK's

You shock should be oil filled but may not be nitro charged. Charging is easy as finding a dirt bike or good race shop if you have no desire for your own kit. You are in CA, you should have no issues.

Mounting your res is as simple as "Where does this fit?" simple hose clamps and something either purchased or made like this:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...unt-p-783.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Using the search function, you will find lots of info on coilover rates that have been hashed out regularly over the years.

Any off-road shop can charge your shocks, but make sure they do it correctly; with the weight off the shocks and with the correct fitting so you don't lose the pressure when they disconnect. I have and use the poly kit to charge my own shocks.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Granite Guru

If you can compress the shock easy and the piston does not come back out, it has no nitrogen in it. They usually ship them that way so you can cycle them. If you need a guy, I have a number. He's in Yucaipa.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

LOL I should have known there would be an impending for posting a question about what rate springs to run on coilovers. But I figured the rates might be more specific to each jeep/driving style and since I was already asking a few other questions i figured why not ask. I guess I'll go do some digging though the search feature and see what I can find

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
You need to get the c/o on the jeep. See where it sits. You can change spring weights if it's not want you want. Using the 250/250 may be perfect, if not you will have a baseline to go from.

King will exchange springs with you if you keep them in like new shape. King does alot of jks do they should be fairly close on the springs.
Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking of doing, just running the 250/250 springs and see where its at. Thats good to know that King will exchange springs. Thanks for the tip! I did get the Evo spec coilovers so they should be set up pretty well. I was just thinking maybe a dual rate would be better?? Not too sure though so I guess Ill have to do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
search as there is already a very extensive thread on here on spring rates and what works for our JK's

You shock should be oil filled but may not be nitro charged. Charging is easy as finding a dirt bike or good race shop if you have no desire for your own kit. You are in CA, you should have no issues.

Mounting your res is as simple as "Where does this fit?" simple hose clamps and something either purchased or made like this:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...unt-p-783.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Using the search function, you will find lots of info on coilover rates that have been hashed out regularly over the years.

Any off-road shop can charge your shocks, but make sure they do it correctly; with the weight off the shocks and with the correct fitting so you don't lose the pressure when they disconnect. I have and use the poly kit to charge my own shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
If you can compress the shock easy and the piston does not come back out, it has no nitrogen in it. They usually ship them that way so you can cycle them. If you need a guy, I have a number. He's in Yucaipa.
Kind of hard to compress the shocks right now as the coils and everything are tight on the shocks and they're not on the jeep now, so the shocks would extend anyways due to the springs. I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea as I didn't want to go to do the install and then drive the jeep and go "damn this rides like sh*t" then realize the shocks weren't charged or damage them or something lol. Better to cover my bases.

I wouldn't mind getting my own charging kit so I can fine tune them in the future but for now it would be nice to just get them charged and on the Jeep. I think we might have a nitrogen regulator at work that should work for this. I think it has the end on it that has the shrader valve remover so it removes the valve when you charge the nitrogen. Not sure if there is a specific type of regulator for shocks??

Hmm hose clamps might be a good idea. Just not sure if I'm going to have enough hose on the resi's. I like the Poly bracket. That might be the way to go. Thanks for the input guys

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Wheeler

The only way to figure out the correct springs is by using the jeep, then changing springs to fine tune for what you're looking for.

Different springs rates will raise or lower your ride height depending on a heavier/lighter spring. Everbody has different bumpers, gear, armor, spares, etc.

How much uptravel are you trying to acheive?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
The only way to figure out the correct springs is by using the jeep, then changing springs to fine tune for what you're looking for.

Different springs rates will raise or lower your ride height depending on a heavier/lighter spring. Everbody has different bumpers, gear, armor, spares, etc.

How much uptravel are you trying to acheive?
Yeah I guess you're right. I was just trying to figure out a baseline of where I should be I guess. Coilovers in this application are new to me so dual rates and all that are different.

Basically, I'm looking to be setting at about 3" of lift. I have PSC flat fenders and will be going to 37's hopefully in the next month or so if all goes as planned, so I should be able to get a decent amount of up travel without rubbing. I just have the front coilovers at this point, the rear I'll be running the King adjustable remote resi's. As far as driving style, I DD my Jeep and hit everything from a lot of off camber stuff and big rocks to hauling ass down washes and stuff, so I'm thinking maybe the 250/250's are a bit light? Should be good for flex in rock crawling though.

Anyone know what you have to do to switch out springs with King? I still DD my Jeep so its kind of hard to have it down more than a couple days if I have to send springs in and wait for them to ship the new ones back.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Alright well after looking through some of the coilover threads I still haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. It's possible I may have just not found the right thread but I've searched for an hour so maybe someone can help me out. This is the best thread I've found: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...r+spring+rates

I still am curious if I should run a stiffer rate maybe like a 250/350 in the front for some of the faster driving I do on occasion. I suppose I could contact King or another company that deals with coilovers a lot, but I'd like to hear from you guys as well. As I said, I'm not afraid to try the 250/250 rate and see where its at but since I don't have much experience with coilovers in Jeeps I don't really have anything to compare the ride to..basically I wouldn't know if it was soft or stiff unless the ride was one extreme or another. Maybe you guys have a recommendation of someone who can help me dial them in once I get them installed?? Thanks guys.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #10 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Alot of guys run 250/300 in front, also starts changing with the more weight you add to the front, ie bumper, winch. I'm running 14" coilovers on the tribe 4x4 mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #11 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
Alot of guys run 250/300 in front, also starts changing with the more weight you add to the front, ie bumper, winch. I'm running 14" coilovers on the tribe 4x4 mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I should be pretty close to where I'm gonna be for weight. I've got the Steel PSC flat fenders up front and already have a bumper and winch (probably going to get the PSC Brawler Lite and will be switching to synthetic line so should loose some weight) I'll be running the Tribe 4x4 mounts as well with the 12" coilovers. I also have a 2dr so I know its going to be a little different than the rates the 4dr guys run.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

My coilover spring rate is 350/250. Flexes great and has a nice road ride.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #13 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
My coilover spring rate is 350/250. Flexes great and has a nice road ride.
Good to know. What are the specs on your shocks? Length? Special valving? What are your jeep specs? 2dr/4dr? Approx weight? How do you use your jeep/what style of driving off road?

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

All you have to do is unscrew the upper collar and slide the retainer out and pull the coils off to see if you can compress the shock. Takes 3 minutes. As far as changing the coils out, just call ahead and bum a ride down to their shop. Only an hour away from you.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
All you have to do is unscrew the upper collar and slide the retainer out and pull the coils off to see if you can compress the shock. Takes 3 minutes. As far as changing the coils out, just call ahead and bum a ride down to their shop. Only an hour away from you.
Good to know. I've been talking with Jason at Rebel Offroad so I might make a trip down there after I install them and have them dial in the shocks for me and probably will end up changing spring rates as well, we'll see. I just want them set up right so I'd rather have some one help me who know's what they're doing than me just guessing lol.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #16 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Rock God

King will do testing with you on the shocks by appointment. Not sure how much it costs but might be worth it to have them right there helping you tune them in.
http://www.kingshocks.com/support/service/#tabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode