Weird noise coming from the front end (bang/clank) - Videos inside.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
WTF is it!? Weird noise coming from the front end (bang/clank) - Videos inside..

[UPDATED] - I found the cause of the noise. Ultimately, it was the driver's side sway bar link. It was just a pinch loose on the axle end. It was loose enough to be able to be moved by hand (only a few mm). After a quick torque, the sound was completely gone...

So, I've had some weird noises coming from the front end for a few months now.. The drag link, tie rod and steering stabilizer are new and the front lower control arms are newish. It makes the sound at very low speeds - sometimes while just idling forward at 4mph. Also, when I come to a stop - specifically after the nose dips down, then pops back up (even if a very light stop).

I'm currently thinking it must be either the Trackbar, ball joints, or my sway bar (Rubicon w/e-disco). I took some videos of it. The audio isn't too good but in some of the vids, you can hear the sound when I actually get in the Jeep (it's enough of a rocking motion to make it). Watching the e-disco motor/housing, you can see the whole thing move as I go over bumps - should it do that?

JK Front End - Drivers Side Low - 1.MP4 - YouTube

The "clicking" starts around 0:22 and is pretty consistent after that..
JK Front End Drivers Side Low 2 - YouTube

Here's the passenger side high-angle. You can see the disco motor move in this video..
JK Front End Passenger Side High 1 - YouTube

Passenger side low-angle (great shot of the new tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer)..
JK Front End Passenger Side Low 1 - YouTube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 02-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

You have a very loose bolt. My first guess would be in a control arm. Either that or a control arm end is shot.

I do not think it is in the track bar if it were you would have severe death wobble.

The disco floats, it should move like that.

Since it will make the sound when sitting still have a partner look for the noise as you get in or vice versa.

As loose as it is a good grab and shake by hand will move what is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
You have a very loose bolt. My first guess would be in a control arm. Either that or a control arm end is shot.

I do not think it is in the track bar if it were you would have severe death wobble.

The disco floats, it should move like that.

Since it will make the sound when sitting still have a partner look for the noise as you get in or vice versa.

As loose as it is a good grab and shake by hand will move what is loose.
I tried moving the control arms by hand and they didn't budge.. Maybe I'll try with a rubber mallet.. It seems to happen pretty regularly when I'm moving slowly AND there is forward-backward "rocking" (even if only 1/2")..

I'll try re-torquing all of the CA's.. Hopefully that will solve it.. Was wondering if perhaps it's a bad bushing in one of them.. The lowers are quite new - 1/2 a year old (Teraflex monster's). The uppers are as old as the lift kit (Full Traction)..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd unbolt the sway bar from the axle and flip the links up to just isolate that part completely. I doubt that it is, it's pretty erratic compared to what the suspension is doing. Check the exhaust if it's tweaked and hitting anything.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd unbolt the sway bar from the axle and flip the links up to just isolate that part completely. I doubt that it is, it's pretty erratic compared to what the suspension is doing. Check the exhaust if it's tweaked and hitting anything.
That was on my to-do list - just ran out of time tonight.. I agree with what you said about it being "erratic".. There are several times where the suspension, etc. stabilize, yet the clicking continues in a "violent" manner.. I'll update the thread if/when I ever figure it out.. I'm taking it in for an alignment this week (to adjust the tie rod I just installed) and I was going to have them poke around at it to see if they notice anything. The shop I'm going to has a few guys who work on JK's so I'm hoping they'll know or find it right away..

The only other hint I can think of is that i don't think it's steering-related. I turned the steering wheel side-to-side (full turns) while stopped and I never heard the sound at all. But just getting in/out of it will make it click (granted it's nearly 200 lbs getting in/out of it)..

post #6 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Sub'd to this, I'm actually going through a very similar issue right now. Checked all my bolts... torqued to spec, and they seem to be tight. Do you feel it in the vehicle at all when the "clicking/clunk" occurs?

Greg
post #7 of 22 Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Sub'd to this, I'm actually going through a very similar issue right now. Checked all my bolts... torqued to spec, and they seem to be tight. Do you feel it in the vehicle at all when the "clicking/clunk" occurs?
Yep.. The shock comes through the steering wheel ever so slightly.. The floor, too (no carpeting just rubber mat. Looking at the vid of the drivers side high angle it just looks like nothing is in sync with the sway bar, the sway bar ends or "arms" and the motor assembly.. It just seems like they should move together - in sync... I'll unbolt the lower connect and tie up the sway bar.. Shouldn't take 10 minutes..

post #8 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you haven't changed out your track bar bolts I would do that, its been an issue for some people and wears out the brackets because the factory bolts are smaller than the holes. I had a rattle in my front end too and this turned out to be the cause. Thing is, the bolts were tight, but they must have been moving a bit with the load on the front axle changing. Check the control arm bolts too, i've heard similar stories about them as well. Thats almost what it sounds like to me, like something like a track bar or something is shifting under load. Looking at the vids, it doesn't seem like anything is loose though it wouldn't hurt to check. If you can jack up your jeep or put it on a lift so you can check everything in the front just systematically check over it. Check ball joints, wiggle the front wheels side to side and check for anything loose (which i doubt if you don't have death wobble), try cycling your suspension and see if you can get it to do it or maybe even if its on the ground have a buddy jump up and down on your front bumper and see if you can hear or feel it. I'd pull your track bar bolts out and check for wear and fitment in the brackets. Same with control arms. Might even check to see if something is rubbing something slightly, just check for wear marks. Sucks chasing something like that. Took me a year to find my rattle.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Last edited by Topgun863; 02-13-2012 at 12:07 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 01:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
Yep.. The shock comes through the steering wheel ever so slightly.. The floor, too (no carpeting just rubber mat. Looking at the vid of the drivers side high angle it just looks like nothing is in sync with the sway bar, the sway bar ends or "arms" and the motor assembly.. It just seems like they should move together - in sync... I'll unbolt the lower connect and tie up the sway bar.. Shouldn't take 10 minutes..
This is literally the same exact thing that is going on with me to the "T". I'll have to give everything a thorough look over again. Interested to see what you find. I'll post my findings as well.

Greg
post #10 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 AM
lbh
Rock God

Sounds like a control arm. Does not take much movement and the axle shifts front and back. I just replaced my JJ bushings and it is nigh and day. As mentioned, check to make sure your track bar mount (frame is not ovaled out). Keep us posted.

2007 JK
post #11 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Granite Guru

To me it "sounds" like a binding or bad joint??? I would just give a check to axle and driveshaft u joints...

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

"Anything is possible if you don't know what
you are talking about."
post #12 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 AM
Rock God

Hard to tell in a video where sound is coming from. Check lower shock mounts. Make sure they are real tight. Mine make noise when they get loose.

Last edited by frankie945; 02-13-2012 at 05:15 AM.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Granite Guru

also check for any cracks in the welds on the track bar mounts, and control arm mounts... could be a stress crack making the racket, and would be hard to see the movement.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #14 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
Hard to tell in a video where sound is coming from. Check lower shock mounts. Make sure they are real tight. Mine make noise when they get loose.
This is on my list to check tonight or tomorrow.. The shocks were one of my first suspicions.. I tightened them (at the top) but didn't check the bottom - will do that soon..

post #15 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
If you haven't changed out your track bar bolts I would do that, its been an issue for some people and wears out the brackets because the factory bolts are smaller than the holes. I had a rattle in my front end too and this turned out to be the cause. Thing is, the bolts were tight, but they must have been moving a bit with the load on the front axle changing. Check the control arm bolts too, i've heard similar stories about them as well. Thats almost what it sounds like to me, like something like a track bar or something is shifting under load. Looking at the vids, it doesn't seem like anything is loose though it wouldn't hurt to check. If you can jack up your jeep or put it on a lift so you can check everything in the front just systematically check over it. Check ball joints, wiggle the front wheels side to side and check for anything loose (which i doubt if you don't have death wobble), try cycling your suspension and see if you can get it to do it or maybe even if its on the ground have a buddy jump up and down on your front bumper and see if you can hear or feel it. I'd pull your track bar bolts out and check for wear and fitment in the brackets. Same with control arms. Might even check to see if something is rubbing something slightly, just check for wear marks. Sucks chasing something like that. Took me a year to find my rattle.
Yeah, I'm going to order the poly pro 9/16" hardware set. I think it runs $65 or so - from what I hear it's definitely worth it.. It will also provide some useful spares, once I've swapped them out..

One of the weirdest things is that it makes the sound when I get in/out of the vehicle (not everytime, though). Also, when it makes the sound when I get in/out, it's much quieter.. I didn't even realize it made the sound until I heard it in the video.

I will know more after the next round of checks (swaybar and shocks).

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 02-13-2012 at 04:38 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Granite Guru

i'd check the bolts, like they said before, one might be smaller than the hole, and you will never know by looking at it, you have to take it out and visually inspect it, i had a noise like it, it turned out to be a slimmer shock bolt, it drove me crazy for 6 months.

07 Sahara Unlimited, D44īs Supercharged LS on 37īs....
post #17 of 22 Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I finally figured it out.. Woohoo! Ultimately, it was a slightly loose drivers side sway bar link - at the axle. It was loose enough to move (with a little force) by hand but only took about 30 degrees of tightening to torque it up.. There you have it....

post #18 of 22 Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingGreen View Post
I finally figured it out.. Woohoo! Ultimately, it was a slightly loose drivers side sway bar link - at the axle. It was loose enough to move (with a little force) by hand but only took about 30 degrees of tightening to torque it up.. There you have it....
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Unfortunately, my luck hasn't been as good and I'm still chasing my tail!

Greg
post #19 of 22 Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Unfortunately, my luck hasn't been as good and I'm still chasing my tail!
I really can't emphasize enough how slight the looseness was... And the noise was SOOO loud..

post #20 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
If you haven't already, check your sway bar/frame clearance. I spent 6 months with a sound I couldn't figure out .... Torqued and retorqued bolts, checked joints, etc.

Then, one afternoon I realized the sway bar was hitting the round frame crossmember on the drivers side where it passes through the box-frame rail. 15 mins with the grinder and the sound went away. My only guess is I had 'extra' round crossmember extending past the framerail than most...

T
post #21 of 22 Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I have to say - I have heard soooo many times from people recommending to re-torque everything - something even slightly loose can cause noise.. I had heard it so much, I generally dismissed it - much like the computer troubleshooting advice "make sure it's plugged in and the power is 'on'"..

Ultimately however, I guess I must agree - simple as it sounds, re-torquing everything is a great starting point and in my case, cured the noise..

post #22 of 22 Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Irishcoffee

Related to this matter - weird JK front end clunks - here another sample after repalcing OME Nitro Shocks with Fox 2.0s (part # 98224921 front, # 98224951 rear) :
The upper stem bushings is tightened properly and is sandwiching the frame with the small center of the bushing passing through the shock tower to isolate the stem. Had to replace the bushings (part # 079052 - ~1") with larger ones (customized) and the frame as well because shock tower became loose inside the frame.
PS: an interesting article about JK clunking issues HERE.

JKU Turbo Diesel (CRD), 2009, Front ARB Deluxe Bumper, IPf, Warn M8000, Fox 2.0IFP Shocks & JKS Springs, ASFIR skid, MThomson Clasic II 9x17, 34" Duractracs, 3:73 gear ratio; NSG370; rear locker

Last edited by Irishcoffee; 11-17-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode