Winches - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Winches

Apparently, Superwinch has decided to discontinue a BUNCH of their winches.

I was lookin' at getting an EPI-9.0, but according to

http://www.superwinch.com/products/c...03.84966.0.0.0

Nearly all of the EPs are discontinued. The Talons seem to be alot more expensive.

Anyone got a good alternative? I was hoping for something with an integrated solenoid, ~9-10k lbs pull, decent line speed, preferably not a Warn 'cause I don't wanna take out a second mortgage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Rock God

You know first hand my smitty has proven itself

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #3 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yes, it did. I'm hoping, though, if I do upgrade mine, to go to an integrated solenoid. Looks like my choices are gonna be few and far between. I'm in no rush. If I find something that tickles my fancy, then so be it. If not, I'll push my little LP8500 for a while longer.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Recon 10,500lb?

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #5 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
Recon 10,500lb?

-Dan
This is what I have my eyes set on. Rated at 10,500, fully water proof sealed, comes with synthetic line and 2 remotes, one of which is cordless. Should be able to have it delivered for under $500

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #6 of 52 Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Link?

Quote:

post #7 of 52 Old 02-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Rock God

Warn M8000.

I have the EPi9.0. Love that thing. But, if I were to upgrade, it'll be a Warn. Don't skimp out on a winch.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 52 Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
post #9 of 52 Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbooth View Post
I have been very happy with the Recon. Have had it for over a year and several pulls. For the price range it's in, it's a great buy. Love the remote too

08 X Unlimited.Jeep Green. 4.5" AEV Nth Degree. Rubi rock sliders, LineX'd nerf bars. MotoMetal 909's. 35x12.5x17 Nitto. Billet grille. Daystar Dash, Hood Wranglers and tire bumpstops. Rugged Ridge liners,front XHD bumper. Recon 10.5, neoprene covers. sPOD. KC Daylighters windshield lights. Pocket flares by TAG. JKS front and rear adjustable trac bars. Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper, Rock Krawler arms, Evo sleeves, RCVs, 4.88s, ARBs
post #10 of 52 Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

Another vote for the RECON.
post #11 of 52 Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Rock God

Another vote Recon. AMAZON.COM has them for like 445 shipped and its "water proof" lifetime warranty, and comes with a wireless and wired remote. Oh and synthetic line. My good friend has one and we beat the snot out of it. It has decent line speed and never let us down. As so as I get some time to make fab up my winch bumper Ill be ordering one myself.

Jersey

Crew
post #12 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

Warn M8000. Used it once on my self & countless times on other people . Four years through mud & water still running strong .
post #13 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Why buy a Recon when for the same price you can buy a Warn VR series?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #14 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Why buy a Recon when for the same price you can buy a Warn VR series?
Doesn't the recon have synthetic rope and a wireless remote?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
yes, and lifetime warranty. Oh and a wired remote too.

Jersey

Crew
post #16 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I had to click the Amazon link to find out but you're right. Still, I think I'd rather have the reliability and peace of mind of the Warn though.

post #17 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

My superwinch just died after three years I'll replace it with a warn

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #18 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
That's DEFINITELY not a good option on getting a cheap Chinese junk winch vs. getting a USA quality winch. The VR series are a USA made winch, cheap as other Chinese units, and are made with the same components that have been in the Warn line for years. The only difference is line speed and they use the older style clutch lever and remote.

A wireless remote usually doesn't work properly and lags, I have yet to see one that does have lag time.

I rather have a VR series with steel line than a synthetic line POS.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

NOVA4x4

Quote:
post #19 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yep, and an integrated solenoid that's water resistant. I'm not sure if it's completely sealed, but it seems to be moreso than the Warn.

Quote:

post #20 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Yep, and an integrated solenoid that's water resistant. I'm not sure if it's completely sealed, but it seems to be moreso than the Warn.
If you think the Recon is a better made and more reliable winch than Warn, then you deserve to have that on your truck.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

NOVA4x4

Quote:
post #21 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
They aren't sealed. They are just mounted in the bridge. It's nothing more than a splash shield really.

I have a Warn wireless controller for my 9.5ti. I love it. There is a slight time lag, but it's otherwise awesome. Best of all, it just plugs into the remote port so if something does happen, I can just unplug it and use my remote. I don't know how good the Recon one is, but it's a cheap winches that has been rebranded under a few different names so I don't think it's a great winch.

Regarding cable vs rope. Rope is awesome, but if a guy is new to winches, it's not a bad idea to start with the cable anyway and learn how to use the thing. Ropes don't like careless behavior.

post #22 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
That's DEFINITELY not a good option on getting a cheap Chinese junk winch vs. getting a USA quality winch. The VR series are a USA made winch, cheap as other Chinese units, and are made with the same components that have been in the Warn line for years. The only difference is line speed and they use the older style clutch lever and remote.

A wireless remote usually doesn't work properly and lags, I have yet to see one that does have lag time.

I rather have a VR series with steel line than a synthetic line POS.
I was just throwing the information out there, not biased toward the Recon at all. I don't care for the wireless either, it's also one more thing to fail/I have to keep good batteries in.

Quote:
They aren't sealed. They are just mounted in the bridge. It's nothing more than a splash shield really.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #23 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Rope is awesome, but if a guy is new to winches, it's not a bad idea to start with the cable anyway and learn how to use the thing. Ropes don't like careless behavior.
How do you figure? I'd rather see someone do something careless and snap a rope than a wire...

Quote:

post #24 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
If you think the Recon is a better made and more reliable winch than Warn, then you deserve to have that on your truck.
It's a good thing I don't own a truck, then...

Quote:
According to this they should be capable of withstanding water immersion from 15cm to 1m for up to 30 minutes.

FWIW, I am not the one who suggested the Recon. I'm open-minded. I realize Warn is like the holy grail of winches, but I'm not sure I NEED the holy grail. I just want something that's reliable, has an integrated solenoid, ~9-10k lbs pull, decent line speed, and preferably not a Warn 'cause I don't wanna take out a second mortgage. Maybe I'll end up with a Warn, but I'm not stuck on it.

Quote:

post #25 of 52 Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I think he is putting it on his JEEP. And you know what...I have seen first had several Recons outlast the "USA" made Warns built with parts from over seas and assembled in the USA.

Jersey

Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode