37" will I be ok?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews
37" will I be ok??

Well let's see if I a get little bit of help in this matter since I didn't get lucky with my last post, but I know there are a lot of good fellas with tons of knowledge in this forum, so I apreacite taking your time to put your 2 cents on this matter

I see 37"s in my future, in fact I already bought the tires 37x13.5x18
Will I be ok going to 37's or did I myself in a
Path of breaking stuff and spending lost of $?, I don't have plans of any hardcore offroading for now, maybe some trips to the beach, this might change in the future, it's my DD, right now I have a 3" fab tech basic lift, 2" body lift, 35x12.5x18 tires with pro comp wheels and 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers on a 2007 Sahara unlimited with auto tranny, and I do have superchip flashpack, I know I will have to re gear but I don't have the $ for now but I do want to put the tires on already, the big question is can I survive 37" with this set up? I know some people have mentioned that it can be driveable with the O/D off, anything else that I should be concern before putting the tires on?

Last edited by drulg; 02-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.
drulg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Rock God
 
jkx0778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 879
Feedback: 3 reviews

You have plenty of lift for your tires. If you have extended bumpstops you should be fine. If you're only doing minor trail rides (no rock crawling) and beach runs, you should be fine on 37s. Just remenber, anything can break if you push to hard. Hi speed runs at the beach and you're asking for trouble.

I would definitely do the TeraFlex C-Gussets and maybe the Poly Performance ball joints.

________________


08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jkx0778 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock God
 
garner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winchester, TN
Age: 45
Posts: 1,054
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drulg View Post
Well let's see if I a get little bit of help in this matter since I didn't get lucky with my last post, but I know there are a lot of good fellas with tons of knowledge in this forum, so I apreacite taking your time to put your 2 cents on this matter

I see 37"s in my future, in fact I already bought the tires 37x13.5x18
Will I be ok going to 37's or did I myself in a
Path of breaking stuff and spending lost of $?, I don't have plans of any hardcore offroading for now, maybe some trips to the beach, this might change in the future, it's my DD, right now I have a 3" fab tech basic lift, 2" body lift, 35x12.5x18 tires with pro comp wheels and 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers on a 2007 Sahara unlimited with auto tranny, and I do have superchip flashpack, I know I will have to re gear but I don't have the $ for now but I do want to put the tires on already, the big question is can I survive 37" with this set up? I know some people have mentioned that it can be driveable with the O/D off, anything else that I should be concern before putting the tires on?
It is definitely doable with some finesse of the skinny pedal when off road. However, I would suggest a track bar frame side re-enforcement bracket and new Poly ball joints. When I went from 35s to 37s I noticed my ball joints were completely gone in about two weeks.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
garner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
It is definitely doable with some finesse of the skinny pedal when off road. However, I would suggest a track bar frame side re-enforcement bracket and new Poly ball joints. When I went from 35s to 37s I noticed my ball joints were completely gone in about two weeks.

Thanks for the input, I already went thru the track bar road when my OEM bracket weld broke, I have a zone off road track bar gusset, on the ball joints I noticed mine were started to get loose and bad so I had them replaced under warranty less than a month ago, I went on this route since it was covered under my warranty! Should I just go ahead and upgrade now?
drulg is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
You have plenty of lift for your tires. If you have extended bumpstops you should be fine. If you're only doing minor trail rides (no rock crawling) and beach runs, you should be fine on 37s. Just remenber, anything can break if you push to hard. Hi speed runs at the beach and you're asking for trouble.

I would definitely do the TeraFlex C-Gussets and maybe the Poly Performance ball joints.
No rock crawling in the near future, but I do put a descent amount of highway miles going to work!
drulg is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Rock God
 
pluke the 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Someplace in Africa
Age: 31
Posts: 1,730
Feedback: 2 reviews

gratz on 37s. your new tires will weigh a few lbs more.

just don't be jumping your jeep and you'll be fine. i've had 37's on my dana30 and its locked and its more then fine.

but yes anything can break.


Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pluke the 2 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Feedback: 0 reviews

You can always use the search box up there in the right hand corner, I'm pretty sure this same question has been asked a 1000+ times... so you may not get all the info you need. just 8 posts below this one you posted someone else asked the same exact same question, so there's a start
Dunsandel is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunsandel View Post
You can always use the search box up there in the right hand corner, I'm pretty sure this same question has been asked a 1000+ times... so you may not get all the info you need. just 8 posts below this one you posted someone else asked the same exact same question, so there's a start
Been that route before, and found out that either the search feature doesn't like me or I'm not smart enought to get it to work the way I want, but since each rig, mods and driving styles/conditions are different between each others jeeps and lots of fellas don't mind helping or answering someone with a question that has been asked many times before I thought I could give it a shout, I know there are other posts about this, and I can get a general idea of what needs to be done to make this duable but I'm sure I'm still gonna have questions and want an answer to my question and concern instead of someone else's, maybe is just me but makes me confident when I get an answer directed straight to me, thanks for the advice tho

Last edited by drulg; 02-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
drulg is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!
 
TCdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Woodstock, Ga
Age: 50
Posts: 3,720
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drulg View Post
Well let's see if I a get little bit of help in this matter since I didn't get lucky with my last post, but I know there are a lot of good fellas with tons of knowledge in this forum, so I apreacite taking your time to put your 2 cents on this matter

I see 37"s in my future, in fact I already bought the tires 37x13.5x18
Will I be ok going to 37's or did I myself in a
Path of breaking stuff and spending lost of $?, I don't have plans of any hardcore offroading for now, maybe some trips to the beach, this might change in the future, it's my DD, right now I have a 3" fab tech basic lift, 2" body lift, 35x12.5x18 tires with pro comp wheels and 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers on a 2007 Sahara unlimited with auto tranny, and I do have superchip flashpack, I know I will have to re gear but I don't have the $ for now but I do want to put the tires on already, the big question is can I survive 37" with this set up? I know some people have mentioned that it can be driveable with the O/D off, anything else that I should be concern before putting the tires on?
I think you will survive ok. It will be doggy without a re-gear but you'll live.

I would say C gussets are a must, even before the 37's...35's can bend the C's. And just know you weak areas, the D30 front, oem axle shafts, steering components...if you bind any of these with 37's you can break stuff...maybe a little less so without lockers.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TCdawg is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
gratz on 37s. your new tires will weigh a few lbs more.

just don't be jumping your jeep and you'll be fine. i've had 37's on my dana30 and its locked and its more then fine.

but yes anything can break.

Thanks, and I don't have any plans of jumping stuff other than when I'm racing my dirt bike, but I gotta say that I would love to crawl over the people that drives those corollas, Prius and civics and they think that they can drive so close to a big jeep off road tire that is taller than their car's roof lol
drulg is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long island, ny
Posts: 36
Feedback: 0 reviews

Congrats on 37's. With that much lift ull be more than good. I stuffed my 37's with just 1 3/4 pucks in the front. Had no flex but then after a 2" body loft and some xrc fenders i have all the clearance in the world


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.715813,-73.414991
Linkenbarb is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I think you will survive ok. It will be doggy without a re-gear but you'll live.

I would say C gussets are a must, even before the 37's...35's can bend the C's. And just know you weak areas, the D30 front, oem axle shafts, steering components...if you bind any of these with 37's you can break stuff...maybe a little less so without lockers.
I think I'm due to replace the tied rod end on the drag link at the pitman arm and knockle, any suggestions on wich route should I go?
drulg is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Rock God
 
garner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winchester, TN
Age: 45
Posts: 1,054
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by drulg View Post
I think I'm due to replace the tied rod end on the drag link at the pitman arm and knockle, any suggestions on wich route should I go?
I would go with a complete high steer kit from Poly performance. Their drag link uses the stock TRE on the pitman arm side. A stock one should do fine if yours is worn. It probably got worn when another component failed. Back to the ball joints... If you just had them replaced the 37s will eat through them that much quicker. I would seriously invest in the Poly HD ones. I have had no issues since I went to them.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
garner is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Fklein6768's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Age: 51
Posts: 4,846
Feedback: 6 reviews

^^^this plus you can also go with a moog tre at the pitman side if you want. Its greasable which is a big plus where we ride in Jersey.

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
Fklein6768 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Rock God
 
RookieJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mantua, NJ
Age: 36
Posts: 937
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunsandel View Post
You can always use the search box up there in the right hand corner, I'm pretty sure this same question has been asked a 1000+ times... so you may not get all the info you need. just 8 posts below this one you posted someone else asked the same exact same question, so there's a start

Wow, hell of a first post on JKO.

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
RookieJK is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Rock God
 
GRIZZLY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,571
Feedback: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunsandel View Post
You can always use the search box up there in the right hand corner, I'm pretty sure this same question has been asked a 1000+ times... so you may not get all the info you need. just 8 posts below this one you posted someone else asked the same exact same question, so there's a start
Good first post.....not, this is a forum where you can ask questions and get answers, don't be a dick. To the OP, you'll be fine as long as your not crazy on it, I'm wondering myself how the 13.5 will fit but there's plenty of guys on here running them so it must work, and that wider stance is gunna look good

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
GRIZZLY47 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
drulg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: HOUSTON, TX
Age: 41
Posts: 220
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
Wow, hell of a first post on JKO.
HA HA HA, that's what i was thinking! but it seems that now these days even the forum newbies have no respect for the elder members lol it' ok tho no hard feelings , I've learned to just have a polite come back lol, now on the other hand talking about the 13.5, that was one of my concerns too, and I ran into the issue of how hard is to find a 37" tire for an 18" wheel and that's not gonna break the bank!, but when i first lifted my JK and went for 35's I had stock wheels and wasn't planning to change them, then the wheels came and I never thought to go for 37's, now here I am lol I do have 1.5 spacers but I'm not sure if I should run these, specially if I don't have to since the tires are already 1" wider!
drulg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome